Should or Must do's for tracking GT.... + prep

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Done the engine and SC coolants with the SNAPON RADKIT PLUS unit.

Got it drawn to about 26Hg and took about about 2 min to fill about the same coolant I got out.

Added a weaker anti freeze mix than usual 50/50 mix, based on never gets cold enough in central FL + some water wetter.

Had to syphon a little bit out to hit baffle markers, boy that antifreeze has a lasting awful taste.....no way anyones drinking that stuff

IMG_6079.JPG

Tomcat

GT Owner
I did the same thing with yellow tire marker.
The GT Guys used high-vis lime green tape to mark them for me!
Whats a nice hot tire temp with the B/Stones ya think ....35lb ?
I believe the standard Street / track recommendation is 30 PSI

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Probably a 5 deg heat up from cold?
Saying that, id rather start at 30 and see how it acts and heat flows around the tread and 4 corners.
But driving style makes such a big diff + getting in quick to check temps is important.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
In the manual its says to check coolant height for engine after 15min of running an after a few min for the SC and to fill to baffle height if needed.
Is that a room temp to check/adjust heights if needed or after 10-30min resting.

Stu

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I took it for drive around the hood..... turned on the heat and fan to high, but didn't get any hot air to come out, just coolish/neutral air.
When on cold it was great, and engine temps dropped when cold was on.
Did I turn the temp dial too quick and count change over?

Stu

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Not sure how you feel about getting your GT on to a trailer but had the wife help with this process.... and stress was already up.
When asking her how I was doing on clearance up the ramps and how deep into the trailer I was, I kept getting nothing faced answers to my questions, and lots of arm swinging....stress was now through the roof now.....BLOODY HELL.
She just laughed at me having kittens about her vagueness (once it was finally up), but its just never an enjoyable thing having someone not confident in doing this (not to mention me and my trust issues)

Kendall advised me to grab a new throw out bearing ($205) and pilot bearing ($10) as well for the new SPEC.
Not an easy find the throw out bearing as it went through 4 dealers to get to me.

Loved my chat with Jason Hefner, being from a family of "chin waggers" (Australian for talkers) we had no issues chin wagging about cars/his experiences and the champ of a shop dog.
Some of the cars he builds just make a base GT look like a Prius for pace.
9 sec 1/4 mile cars that you can drive with one hand is bonkers.

SA

Attachments

• IMG_6106.JPG
    IMG_6106.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6107.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6110.JPG
    IMG_6110.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6111.JPG
    IMG_6111.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 5.56.00 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 5.56.00 am.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 0

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
What upgrades are you getting at Hefner?

Tomcat

GT Owner
I took it for drive around the hood..... turned on the heat and fan to high, but didn't get any hot air to come out, just coolish/neutral air.
When on cold it was great, and engine temps dropped when cold was on.
Did I turn the temp dial too quick and count change over?

Stu
There are significantly more experts than me here...but this sounds like a air mix door issue. Without regular use/exercise they can get stuck (and sometimes cycling the temp knob fixes this) but also the stuck condition can burn out the dive motor or break/disconnect the actuator door.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Another thing to consider is that you didn't drive around long enough for the heater to be effective. It takes my GT a very long time to throw heat after engine warm up: ten minutes?

Howard

Reactions: PeteK

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
What upgrades are you getting at Hefner?

Just getting a SPEC clutch (organic compound) installed.
Not too many GT's come in stock and out stock of the Heffner shop....I'm pretty boring by what I saw at his shop the other day.

Reactions: extrap

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
There are significantly more experts than me here...but this sounds like a air mix door issue. Without regular use/exercise they can get stuck (and sometimes cycling the temp knob fixes this) but also the stuck condition can burn out the dive motor or break/disconnect the actuator door.

I did read that and did some playing around and got the heat to come out after 10min of cycling the temp dial, but my zones are still stuck, so will keep at it some more.....
Its not overly important the zone working just that it would be nice to have full function.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Another thing to consider is that you didn't drive around long enough for the heater to be effective. It takes my GT a very long time to throw heat after engine warm up: ten minutes?

Howard

I did think that and decided to get it up and hot to be sure, but didn't help, but eventually I got it unstuck changing back n 4th

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Are the vent doors accessible or a dam mare to work on?

Last edited:

Roc Spo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 7, 2006
I was watching the Vegas Rally from years ago and in the vid I noticed a car that was jacked in this area on the side......hmm
I might have to take the floor off and find this point and maybe others that would work if need be.View attachment 62403
I was at that rally with my GT, and I would love to see any videos available. Where can I see them??

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
For those thinking about car/driver prep prior to our Rally 13 track day, I am in the final phase of a pre-track day checkup. It will cover a multitude of topics and I will be posting soon under a separate thread.

Reactions: 1418 and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
For those thinking about car/driver prep prior to our Rally 13 track day, I am in the final phase of a pre-track day checkup. It will cover a multitude of topics and I will be posting soon under a separate thread.

Soooo ... requires more than keys and gloves? :oops:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
LOL extrap, That depends.....
Some could probably get away with that (including an "SA" helmet). But do you know what to do if a corner worker waves a black flag with an orange circle within the flag at you...?
If you know, come join the advanced group!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
LOL extrap, That depends.....
Some could probably get away with that (including an "SA" helmet). But do you know what to do if a corner worker waves a black flag with an orange circle within the flag at you...?
If you know, come join the advanced group!

Oh heck no, I would just drive around him. Don't wanna run over anybody!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is no levity on the track.