Shorty Headers

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I just weighed the cat v/s cat delete pipe (on a bathroon scale :biggrin).

Pipe w/ cats = 15lbs
Pipe w/o cats = 9lbs

Total savings there is roughly 12 lbs

I would be surprised if you save more than a pound or two with the headers v/s manifold. There just isn't much there to work with.

-Anybody know the weight difference between the stock muffler and the Ford Racing muffler (canister)?

If your asking about the Borla, as I recall mine weighed 32lbs.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Exhaust System Weights

I am having a guy make me some headers that just replace the stock manifold and work with the existing catalytic converters. If anyone would like a set let me know. He is making them out of 323 stainless (that means nothing to me but he said it was the good stuff).

For exhaust component weights, follow this link: http://www.fordgtsupercar.com/2964/2985.html

Scroll down....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
For exhaust component weights, follow this link: http://www.fordgtsupercar.com/2964/2985.html

Scroll down....

That link states that the stock muffler is 55 lbs and the Ford Racing muffler is 42 lbs. It seems like there should be more difference than that.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I wonder how much the noise can be cut down with a set of tuning baffles like shadowman has on his website. I put the cat deletes and exit pipe on 1161 and will be taking the car for a run today. They are strictly prototypes and have not been finish ground or jet-coated yet but I do expect her to be A LOT louder than 1076 with just the x-pipe. For me the thing that drove me crazy on a long drive was the drone at 2100 rpm. If that is gone .... then I can always wear ear plugs. :wink

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
So the project started in April and it is now finishing up in July. You gotta love these guys. If I worked like that I wouldn't be driving a Ford GT.

Here are a few pix. The final fitting (the collector) will be installed later this week (in theory).

headers2.JPG

headers1.JPG

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Heffner makes headers for his twin turbo set ups. They could probably be easily modified for cats or cat-delete set up. Maybe Jason is missing a marketing opportunity here.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
with all this talk about the shorty header im surprised no one has mentioned the JBA set up that just came out on the market. they make a one piece header and mid pipes that have race cats on them and they terminate in the original location so as to be able to put the factory muffler or an after market cat-back (accufab, heffner)set up on. they claim 100 hp gain on a stock car. to the wheels.:biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
watch out on the rear passenger side - don't burn up the starter!

might need to warp it and the wires with a heat shield......

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I always like to see the pictures... so here ya go:

The Jig
TheJig.JPG

The construction
TheConstruct.JPG

TheConstruct2.JPG

TheConstruct3.JPG

Argon gas fill
TheArgonstuff.JPG

The big beads
TheBigBead2.JPG

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
more:

TestFit.JPG

TestFit2.JPG

ThePerfectFit.JPG

ThePerfectFit2.JPG

ThePerfectFit3.JPG

ThePerfectFit4.JPG

TheProduct1.JPG

TheProduct3.JPG

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They look like a great replacement for the stock manifolds. It appears that it will hook right up to the stock cat or a optional cat delete pipe. I can't wait for your sound and performance report.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nice work Mark!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
+1 way to go Mark ! :thumbsup let us know of the heat and performance benefits

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is there an EGR Port at the collector flange on the right side header?

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Is there an EGR Port at the collector flange on the right side header?

Yes... I have lots of pictures of this thing :biggrin

TheEGR.JPG

TheEGR2.JPG

TheEGR3.JPG

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I forgot this picture...one of my favorites:

TheWholeThing.JPG

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Very nice, I'm diggin' the black coating.

mardyn

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
If going to all this effort, Why not come out the top like the GT40's did and make slip a part fittings for service work. Exit out the license plate hole and move the plate to the bumper. Then it would be like the GT40's. A little heat shield plate on the top would protect the clam shell. The Air filter could be revamped into a couple cylindars like the mustangs run. ??

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
From looking at the pictures, one would assess that a primary design goal was to be compatible with the stock OEM manifolds, such that all OEM components would work with the new piece. e.i. EGR, O2, and cats or FRPP cat delete pipes.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
From looking at the pictures, one would assess that a primary design goal was to be compatible with the stock OEM manifolds, such that all OEM components would work with the new piece. e.i. EGR, O2, and cats or FRPP cat delete pipes.

Yes, that was a primary objective. The manifold and headers had to be an interchangeable piece.