Shocks Bad?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gents,

While in the process of completing some routine maintenance, I removed the rear tires and noticed an oily grime on both rear shocks.

To be honest, I haven't had the rear tires off of the car in a couple of years, so I can't say how long the oily grime has been on the shocks. Is this somewhat normal, or are my rear shocks toast? The GT has just over 12,000 miles. Any insight would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Waldo

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unfortunately it's done. Not rebuildable. Will have to source another OEM shock or get Scott Ahlman's Ohlins!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Unfortunately it's done. Not rebuildable. Will have to source another OEM shock or get Scott Ahlman's Ohlins!

Darn it. I was afraid of that. As much as I would love to install Ohlins or Penskes at all four corners, that isn't in the toy budget right now.

I appreciate the quick reply.

Best Regards,

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Waldo ,
Here is your chance to buy Scott Ahlman’s shocks.A truly superior replacement.Everyone who has em loves em! On the other hand you may be able to find some used stock ones.
Hope retirement is treating you well ! Hope we get to see you at R10 in Detroit!
My best regards,Ron

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Shock seals go bad from not being driven regularly enough. Don't let it happen again! Lol.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
And some more bad news, but could be good news. My Ford dealer just had the only rear shock in the USA (in Memphis) sent to them for my one leaking shock. More than one bad I would go to Scott's set (50K miles on mine).

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And Scott's are rebuild able also.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
A little leakage does not necessarily mean the shock is done. You don't have to replace this right now. Keep driving it, and if it gets to the point where oil is dripping out, then it's done. You can wait and watch to see if anyone has take-off OEM shocks for sale.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
A little leakage does not necessarily mean the shock is done. You don't have to replace this right now. Keep driving it, and if it gets to the point where oil is dripping out, then it's done. You can wait and watch to see if anyone has take-off OEM shocks for sale.

True. I drove on mine for a good 7K miles after the leak was noted. But regardless, the shock will eventually fail and it is not repairable.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Shocks begin to wear out / fail in three modes... termed "weeping", "seeping " and then finally "leaking".
A certain amount of oil moving past the seal lips acts as a seal and a lubricant.
Looking at the photo, I would classify the shock as "seeping".. best I can tell from the photo.
This should not affect the performance... yet . It may not get any worse for many thousands of miles.
I would not replace until they are actually 'leaking' ... wet oil / possible drip on bottom, or until you notice a performance degradation.

andy (ajb)

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Pete, Andy,
Thanks. I'll take a "seeping" shock with a few more miles in it versus a "leaking" shock that needs to be replaced right now. I'll keep an eye on them while I'm saving my pennies for a set of shocks from Scott Ahlman.

Ron,
It isn't so much retirements as it is a new job. But, the new job is going well. I will do my best to make it to the rally. It's been far too long since we've been able to trade stories while enjoying a cocktail.

Cheers,
Waldo

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Waldo ,
Whats the new job?
Would love to see you at r10!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Whats the new job?
F-35 simulator instructor "pilot"

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The Master teaching the rookies!
I can only imagine that your’e great at it!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I'll give you a whole set of shocks for a few hours in that SIM.

Ask around some more. There has to be alot of these laying around.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Interesting that it always seems to be just the rear shocks with reported leaks.