Shelby selling GT40 replicas now

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I just saw a brief review of the super performance GT 40 "Shelby approved" replica on dream car garage. Interesting but no way looks as great as the Ford version with exception the "spider exhaust" layout. Camillo Pardo's design touches really make the difference!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

He also "found" a lot of old chassis in a warehouse that he said were original '65s and he was going to finish them. He sold at least one for $500,000. Then it was found out that he had them built to make them look like they were originals...Fraud. Criminal investigation, although he did no jail time. Some say it was creativity. Your call. I know that many replica owners have their cars registered as a '65. According to your particular state, it may be legal to do so.[/QUOTE]

sadly, the blackest mark against Carroll ever, no doubt his worst decision in his career.

i understand he is quite sick and needs our prayers.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Gene Cassone said:
I just saw a brief review of the super performance GT 40 "Shelby approved" replica on dream car garage. Interesting but no way looks as great as the Ford version with exception the "spider exhaust" layout. Camillo Pardo's design touches really make the difference!!

Gene, The Superformance replica is by far the most accurate clone out there.
I have seen them all, must give Jimmy Price his due. Will visit his factory in October.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I totally agree. But i believe what Pardo did to modernize it and make it more streetable is what attracted me. It truly is a work of art from all angles. It is a modern rendition not a replica.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Gene Cassone said:
I totally agree. But i believe what Pardo did to modernize it and make it more streetable is what attracted me. It truly is a work of art from all angles. It is a modern rendition not a replica.

Exactly. The new rendition truely transcends the original.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
AtomicGT said:
bigdan40

Nice pictures, gorgeous car!

Thanks AtomicGT! I'm going to take some side by side photos next to my Tungsten GT. My Cobra has been in my trailer since I got the GT so I'm anxious to see how close the color is out in the sunlight! It will be very close I can tell you that!!!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
bony said:
Gene, The Superformance replica is by far the most accurate clone out there.
I have seen them all, must give Jimmy Price his due. Will visit his factory in October.

Very true statement! I almost bought one (wasn't real comfortable in the cockpit) but the car was a little to crude/harsh for what I wanted. I've mentioned in this thread that I think SF is right on with their clones and you're correct in saying give credit where it's due. Check out the gallery, I posted some pics of my Cobra (built in '04), the car is killer. Very streetable but a monster when romping on it!!!

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
An important correction to the information about the "found" parts to construct 1965 427 S/C Cobras. Only 8 of the planned 43 cars were built. Every Buyer was made fully aware of what they were buying. There was no fraud with the customers...now, as far as the Calif DMV...who cares?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
White Petunia said:
Maybe car enthusiasts in California ? :confused

Plus, when one State starts something, others usually follow.

Folks, Brian Angliss, owner of AC wrote a famous letter advising that there were no frames, no bodies left over, period. The entire COMPLETION 3000 series was a scam. As I posted before, this was the worst decision of Carroll's career and he is lucky he did not wind up in jail, the D.A. must have been one of his fans, just like me. Sorry but we can't change history.

In fact the COMPLETION cars can't be registered in any state, the MSO state off road use only, however I am confident some have been licensed for road use.

Angliss and Shelby were involved in a law suit. I am attaching a copy of the settlement letter as well and the letter Brian wrote.

In Wixsom, after my fifth Makers Mark ask me why I know so much about this issue. Another Bony's garage expensive horror story :ack

Attachments

• ac-letter.jpg
    ac-letter.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 266
  • ac-cs-agree.jpg
    ac-cs-agree.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby Vieira said:
An important correction to the information about the "found" parts to construct 1965 427 S/C Cobras. Only 8 of the planned 43 cars were built. Every Buyer was made fully aware of what they were buying. There was no fraud with the customers...now, as far as the Calif DMV...who cares?

are you sure?
I don't think so!
I love Carroll but there is a dark side to the old bugger :bored

FYI When a completion cars are looked at by serious Shelby collectors with the same smirk (not REAL) as the tupperware cars made in Mexico, the Neveda Prisons, and now by Superformance. :confused

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bigdan40

I think we need to start a Ford GT Tungsten sub group in this forum!!! Same coloe as mine, but i have a 66 Shelby G.T.350 red/white stripes. There are two other Tungstens within about 5 miles of me.

:cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Shelby's 8 Completion 427 S/C Cobras

All 8 buyers knew what they were buying - a late 1980's chassis with a '65-'66 drivetrain, hand built to what remains today, the most exacting standard of an original. Most thought they were buying something better than an original (like many of us GT owners). Most of the 8 paid $500,000, a few paid slightly less, at a time when the originals were selling for about $750,000. To compare these 8 hand made aluminum cars to mass produced fiberglass replicas is like comparing your Ford GT to a fiberglass replica GT40.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby Vieira said:
All 8 buyers knew what they were buying - a late 1980's chassis with a '65-'66 drivetrain, hand built to what remains today, the most exacting standard of an original. Most thought they were buying something better than an original (like many of us GT owners). Most of the 8 paid $500,000, a few paid slightly less, at a time when the originals were selling for about $750,000. To compare these 8 hand made aluminum cars to mass produced fiberglass replicas is like comparing your Ford GT to a fiberglass replica GT40.

Well, I don't think so, there was litigation filed against Shelby by buyers of those cars. I am able to post one of the complaints. No question that the workmanship on the completion CSX 3000 cars was anything but great, after McCluskey is recognized as one of the finest craftsmen in the world. One look at any care he has restored or remanufactured like his Daytona's confirms this.

I have seen dozens of replicas where the craftsmanship and components far exceed the the level of quality of the originals or the repops done by Kirkham, Shelby or Superformance.

The issue is that Shelby promoted these cars as being built from frames and bodies left over from the originals. They were not. Please read the letter from Angliss and the settlement letter between Angliss and Shelby.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby Vieira said:

I have seen CAV's, Roaring 40's, ERA's that are all kits that have better workmanship that our new Ford GT's. That doesn't make me love my GT more or less. Just recognize that our cars are not hand built. I have also seen kits that I would not get in (if I could fit) because they were unsafe at any speed. :bored

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Bony, sounds like you may have owned, or came close to owning, one of the (8) 427 S/C's. I know the owner of one who clearly knew what he was buying. Hope we can discuss the details at length one day

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
No Vince. He's Japanese.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby Vieira said:
Bony, sounds like you may have owned, or came close to owning, one of the (8) 427 S/C's. I know the owner of one who clearly knew what he was buying. Hope we can discuss the details at length one day

there were only five lay downs (I think)... yup, the pain goes away with alcohol.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
BONY

Interestng dance site - he must be Spiderman's hero. :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AZGT said:
BONY

Interestng dance site - he must be Spiderman's hero. :banana

ok. he is gone, I was waiting for the pitching and catching cracks to start.
How about this tear jerker?

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Always enjoy these Forum threads... This one got me thinking. To me, in the world of autos, which could also apply to other things as well, "It is what it is". I have a 1964 Cobra that I have shown at local car events. It is largely recognized by the public that sees the car as an "original". I have a good friend who has a Superformance Mark III, that he also calls a Cobra. In a sense, it is a Cobra just like the new Minis by BMW are Minis. To me, they're not "original Minis", but they are certainly new editions of the Mini. My friend jokingly says that his Cobra is similar to the originals, but it has been "Foosed", as it is close to the original specifications, but just a little different here and there. In reality, I'm not bothered when he says his car is a Cobra, as it is what it is. The new Superformance GT40 (the Mark II model as shown on Dream Car Garage) is certainly a nice rendition of the original. If I saw one on the street I would certainly refer to it as a GT40, but it's certainly not an original. Our new Ford GT's are certainly styled after the GT40 Mark I, but to me, they're not GT40's, they're Ford GT's. Again, they are what they are. And, lastly, being built by Ford certainly gives them a providence that other such models will not have.