Service center recommendations in SoCal?

motera

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2022
Hi all, new GT owner here! I've just got the car delivered and it's been sitting for a while. I've been wanting to get it serviced here in SoCal. Does anyone have any recommendations? I wanted to get all the fluids changed and change the tires since they're from 2015. Thank you.

EDIT: Does anyone have any recommendations on someone that could install a clear bra?

Last edited:
Reactions: white out

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
Give Kendall (nota4re) at Cooltech a call. He's in Santa Clarita.

Reactions: motera

motera

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2022
I actually called and emailed them a few days ago! They haven't gotten back to me so I wasn't sure if they were still open.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
I do my own work but have heard that Vista Ford has experience with GTs.

Ps- congrats on the car!

motera

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2022
Thank you! It's been my dream car. Kendall just got back to me and we should have things sorted soon. I appreciate all the help everyone.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Congratulations on the purchase if your going to be driving be sure and dump those Goodyears first off and get some Bridgestones on it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Motera: Congrats on the acquisition. Good to hear that you plan to drive it. I have 75,000+ (s)miles on mine. I ain't saving it for the next guy.

A couple things to check:
1. The power steering return hose has reached an age where it is spontaneously deteriorating. Not the pressure side, just the return side. See the parallel thread discussion about this. Check yours. Rich Roback has new hoses for sale.
2. The grease boots in the rear suspension joints and tie rods was made of poor material. Almost guarantee that yours have cracked and are leaking grease and letting water and dirt into the joints. New and better seals are available from member GT101.
3. Check and clean your battery connections and ground strap. That has helped fix random electrical problems other members have experienced.

Then, learn to drive the car! Respect the throttle while you are learning. And forever after. Instant 500lb-ft of torque sounds good on paper, and feels good when you are pointed straight in a safe direction, but it will break the rear end loose faster than you can react. You need to know what will happen and be ready for it, not an "oh shit!" reaction.

I differ with the conventional view that you should quickly replace the tires just because they are 7 yours old. A motorcycle magazine ran a test of the same model of tires on a track, with one set brand new, and the other 7 years old stored in a warehouse. They couldn't tell the difference. Pretty much everyone here agrees that the Bridgestone replacements are better than the Goodyear OEM tires. But that doesn't mean the Goodyears are bad tires. Far from it. So I'd drive what you have until you need to replace them. Then use the last bit of tread to go do donuts and burnouts in some parking lot before you replace them.

Ask lots of questions here. Chances are high that you're not the first one to ask that question or try that change. But before you ask, do a quick search of the archives to familiarize yourself with what's already been asked and answered.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I have a trip for GT work back east in a week, but when I get back I'll be trying to line up some GT work in your area. Only about a 4 hr drive. Contact me if your interested.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think Kendall still working so probably just need reach out again. Everyone pretty swamped these days.
You are lucky to have him close by!

motera

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2022
I've got an appointment with Kendall this weekend! Thank you everyone for the warm words of welcome. I will be changing the tires to some Bridgestones while also having Kendall look through the car to address anything that needs fixing. This car is a lower mile example that was in storage, so I'm sure there's some deferred maintenance.

Super excited to start putting some miles on it! If anyone has any recommendations on a place where I can get some PPF for the car I would love to know.

Reactions: GT Tech

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I've got an appointment with Kendall this weekend! Thank you everyone for the warm words of welcome. I will be changing the tires to some Bridgestones while also having Kendall look through the car to address anything that needs fixing. This car is a lower mile example that was in storage, so I'm sure there's some deferred maintenance.

Super excited to start putting some miles on it! If anyone has any recommendations on a place where I can get some PPF for the car I would love to know.
You are in good hands with Kendall.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Probably need to put this in a dedicated thread for all of our great SoCal customers, but please be advised that we will not be working on any more GT's for the next 12-14 months. (Motera's car will be the last car we service.) The reason is that we have sold our home/shop of the last 36 years *sniff*. We are still in escrow so fingers are crossed that everything will go through. All is looking good so far. The good news is that we are building a new home and a much larger shop not that far away from our current home. Our current shop for GT work is a modest 1,000 square feet with a single 4-post lift. The new shop will be 3500 square feet and will have a minimum of 3 lifts for GT work. It has taken far too long to get the building permits but I think we are (finally) on our way. Grading and compaction was completed a couple of weeks ago and our septic/seepage tank system is currently being installed. Foundation is next and then framing will follow shortly. I'd like to think the process can move quicker but everyone tells me that 12-14 months is what I should expect.

During this build process, we won't have access to a 4-post lift. If any GT owners get into a bind, we can certainly help - so please reach out. For example, if you have or have access to a 4-post lift, there's always the possibility we could come to you.

Reactions: GT Tech and dshears

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Probably need to put this in a dedicated thread for all of our great SoCal customers, but please be advised that we will not be working on any more GT's for the next 12-14 months. (Motera's car will be the last car we service.) The reason is that we have sold our home/shop of the last 36 years *sniff*. We are still in escrow so fingers are crossed that everything will go through. All is looking good so far. The good news is that we are building a new home and a much larger shop not that far away from our current home. Our current shop for GT work is a modest 1,000 square feet with a single 4-post lift. The new shop will be 3500 square feet and will have a minimum of 3 lifts for GT work. It has taken far too long to get the building permits but I think we are (finally) on our way. Grading and compaction was completed a couple of weeks ago and our septic/seepage tank system is currently being installed. Foundation is next and then framing will follow shortly. I'd like to think the process can move quicker but everyone tells me that 12-14 months is what I should expect.

During this build process, we won't have access to a 4-post lift. If any GT owners get into a bind, we can certainly help - so please reach out. For example, if you have or have access to a 4-post lift, there's always the possibility we could come to you.
Are you building it yourself or do you have a general contractor doing it?

If yourself get a copy of Microsoft schedule and make your self a gantt chart of everything. Start with the lead time for materials, and work time for the project. For example, foundation. Concrete doesn't have much of a lead time but setting forms does. Lumber pack materials for framing has a long lead time and would probably be started BEFORE the foundation, but the actual framing can't start until AFTER the foundation. Linking all of these togther and you get a critical path that will tell how long it takes.

My full custom house for us took 9 months. The second (spec) took a little under 12.

Is the shop attached? If not I'd do your shop first :) A friend who is building a new home did just that.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks Tony. I am GC'g myself. No stranger to complex program management... though my experience is with complex DoD aircraft programs!

Retired from Aerospace last September after 42 years. My experience thus far with the City, water, and power companies is very, very poor. Each have their own monopoly and don't give a rat's ass about cost or schedules. I am literally 3-years in to get my grading permit.... but these are stories for another day!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Tony. I am GC'g myself. No stranger to complex program management... though my experience is with complex DoD aircraft programs!

Retired from Aerospace last September after 42 years. My experience thus far with the City, water, and power companies is very, very poor. Each have their own monopoly and don't give a rat's ass about cost or schedules. I am literally 3-years in to get my grading permit.... but these are stories for another day!

If you have a "city" water, but a septic system? You're probably in an unincorparated area. (My experience is that incorporated areas require connection to city water and sewer, as do some "improvement districts". They usually charge a tap fee.

Anyway, we lived in Lyons, which is in Boulder County so I only had to deal with town bureaucrats. I was on the planning board so knew the inspectors etc which made it lots easier since I knew what they expected. Plus I hung around with other contractors at their sites which also helped with ideas and what they wanted.

Boulder County on the other hand was a nightmare like you describe. A friend in our subdivision built a new house in Boulder County and it took over two years to get his permits. Not only that they're anal. Another friend built a beautiful house in Allenspark - unincorporated Boulder County. When they got ready to stucco THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS (not the planning/zoning board) showed up and opened up one of those paint chip fans and presenter with about 10 acceptable colors, but some of the darker shades were "x"d out... Even Californiates in the county commented how much trouble it was. It's almost like they run you through hoops and then at the end of two years if you're still interested they'll give you a permit. That seems to be the same torture you go through to get a SB100 for a Cobra in California.

Last edited:
Reactions: dshears

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Put many fun filled trouble free miles on it Enjoy

PA32Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2022
Glendora, CA
I have a trip for GT work back east in a week, but when I get back I'll be trying to line up some GT work in your area. Only about a 4 hr drive. Contact me if your interested.
I’m in for work if you are coming to SoCal.

Reactions: GT Tech

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona

Will people still have access to your parts? Your lift gate shocks are great and more people will need them. I am planning to put together a trip to SoCal when I return from my eastern swing.