Serious Question Regarding ECU Tune

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I've read many posts suggesting that a "tune" (which I assume means a reprograming of the ecu) is an easy way to get horsepower, especially where other mods are made. I've installed the Accufab, and will shortly do headers with cat removal.

I have a couple of questions regarding the tune procedure.
Let me preface my questions by noting that I have NO experience with ecu tuning; all of my personal air/fuel experience is with a Holley 4150 HP 750 on my Cobra. I apologize in advance if my questions display my ignorance.

First, I live at about 4300 feet of altitude. When a tune is performed by a shop at sea level, will the parameters that are established be applicable to driving primarily at a higher altitude?

Second, if a simple tune is such an easy way to get horsepower, why didn't Ford do it at the factory?

Third, assuming that Ford spent millions of dollars on establishing the parameters of the factory tune in a multitude of different driving conditions, what assurance do I have that a private shop has the resources to perform a tune that is "better" than what Ford could do with its vast resources?

Fourth, is there any evidence that a professionaly performed tune will reduce the longevity of my engine?

Fifth, as I change the breathing characteristics of my engine by eliminating the cats and muffler, does a tune become a necessity, or can the factory tune compensate for the change in breathing?

I am inclined to have the tune done, especially to avoid the OBD II issues when the cats come off, and a little information would be most helpful. Thanks!

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Well the tuner can set you up with a basic tune, and then after that he can then email you tweaks via the xcal2's USB connection ability based on the data logs the xcal2 records. I'm not 100% sure on this process, but I know for a fact that the idea of a basic tune and then tweaked ones as needed can be done.

One of tcmphail's clients has a Ford Lightning using the xcal2. He has a stack of track reciepts literally 3inches tall or so when you compress them down. I'd say at least 200 runs, and he never blew his engine. That's on a custom tune and tons of mods, none of which Ford supplied. It's my understanding that the easiest way to hurt the engine is to mod it and not tune it for the mods you have on there??

Hopefully some of the others can fill on the spots I couldn't explain more clearly.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
These questions can only really be answered by a professional, why not call SCT and see what they say?

Every year around 50k people are killed on America's highways. Are we going to stop driving because by doing so we increase our chances of getting in an accident?

I think that the question should not be will a change have any downside, but what is the risk and what is the return.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford leaves the car on the very very very safe side, but that's nothing new. All the manufacturers operate nowhere near 10/10ths when it comes to a factory tune for safety, and I think Ford, GM, Dodge leave more on the table because they know what their owners do with the cars. FGT, 03/04 Cobra, GT500, they arent just safe, they are corked. A tune is nothing I would worry about from any competent shop.

Just ask a competent shop. Heffner Performance (http://www.heffnersperformance.com/) has provided the tune for many cars here, including me, Bony, shesgotlegs, BigsGT... Jason works on Lambos, Vipers, FGT, at horsepower levels wildly exceeding just a tune and has to tune for much more extreme packages with unfailing reliability.

A proper tune won't reduce the longevity of your engine. Tweaking the A/F, playing with a bit of spark, bumping the limiter...none of this will mess with longevity when done properly.

I don't think a tune is needed with your mods, but it will certainly help you increase the gains you've already got. Tune alone is worth probably 20-30 hp. And it's easy, plug it in, tap a few buttons, and off you go!

Call (941)359-0900 ask for Jason and he'll answer any questions you have. Tell him the forum sent you :cheers

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
w. mitty said:
First, I live at about 4300 feet of altitude. When a tune is performed by a shop at sea level, will the parameters that are established be applicable to driving primarily at a higher altitude?

It will be applicable. It won't be the absolute best.

My supercharged cobra was tuned in Phoenix in the middle of summer. When I drive it up around prescott in the winter, it feels slightly slower when my foot is in it. I have a wideband in the car and the A/F is still safe in high altitudes. I've also checked in high altitude for signs of detonation and it was just fine.

The most important thing in a tune is make sure it's safe. Don't go for the ragged edge A/F reading; check for detonation and run conservative timing.

w. mitty said:
Second, if a simple tune is such an easy way to get horsepower, why didn't Ford do it at the factory?

It had to be 50 state emissions legal. Also needs to run "properly" on the factory tune anywhere from Denver to Death Valley while on the crappy 90 octane oxygenated gas we get on the west coast/AZ.

w. mitty said:
Third, assuming that Ford spent millions of dollars on establishing the parameters of the factory tune in a multitude of different driving conditions, what assurance do I have that a private shop has the resources to perform a tune that is "better" than what Ford could do with its vast resources?

I highly doubt Ford has notable $$$ tied up in the tune. FGT, GT500, Saleen's etc. are canned up factory tunes.

If you want assurances from local shops that's all word of mouth. I wouldn't touch an email tune but thats my 2 cents. Any competent tuner with a complete dyno system should be able to easily extract more power on the stock setup alone.

w. mitty said:
Fourth, is there any evidence that a professionaly performed tune will reduce the longevity of my engine?

FWIW, there are well over 100 documented examples on Modularfords of supercharged cobras that took a dump because of bad tunes coupled with too much boost on bad gas.

For all intensive purposes, IMO the stock tune will be the best for longevity and your warranty.

Conservative tunes are your best friend.

w. mitty said:
Fifth, as I change the breathing characteristics of my engine by eliminating the cats and muffler, does a tune become a necessity, or can the factory tune compensate for the change in breathing?

I asked 2 team GT guys at the rally about reflashing just for the FRPP open headers and they both suggested it.

w. mitty said:
I am inclined to have the tune done, especially to avoid the OBD II issues when the cats come off, and a little information would be most helpful. Thanks!

If you can't find anyone in your neck of the woods, drop me a line. I have a excellent tuner down here in Phoenix with a full in-house dyno.

Last edited:

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
IMO you will want to hook up with a good tuner in your area given the altitude you are at. Obviously a tune done on your car will be better than anything that is mail order. I believe sea level tunes will still be rich at altitude where as a tune that is "right" at altitude could be lean at sea level. It would probably be a good idea to have two tunes....in case you decide to drive down out of the clouds at some point.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
satx said:
IMO you will want to hook up with a good tuner in your area given the altitude you are at. Obviously a tune done on your car will be better than anything that is mail order. I believe sea level tunes will still be rich at altitude where as a tune that is "right" at altitude could be lean at sea level. It would probably be a good idea to have two tunes....in case you decide to drive down out of the clouds at some point.
Jason Heffner's tune comes with three tune "programs" that can be changed by the owner at will. A conservative 91 octane tune, a 93 octane tune and a 100 octane tune. He will also provide custom tunes as well. Very knowledgeable and a class act!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
So 'splain something to me...

When I get my new Heffner pulley and "tune up" next month, the tuner I receive will have 3 seperate programs included?

I'm just assuming that the 91 tune has less timing, the 93 tune up has a little more, and the 100 octane tune has even more timing advance...

Or, do I just do one conservative reflash and be done with it?

btw.. Isn't it wonderful to have these choices? What a great moment in automotive history we currently reside.... :biggrin

mardyn

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
satx said:

Point well taken; the problem is, I don't know of anyone in my region that even has a dyno, let alone the expertise to tune. It's Phoenix or nothin. Dangit. I think Phoenix is about 1200 feet, so at least its not sea level...

I guess I could drive to denver or Salt Lake City for a tune...any ideas? Could I import a guy to my area and do a "road tune"? Does such a thing exist?

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Tune Variations with Altitude

I'm used to working on the older iron myself (60's Ford musclecars), and in those vehicles, equipped with carburetors, altitude is critical to the tune. Typically you will jet the carburetors down at higher altitudes, to compensate for thinner air at higher altitudes (you will get less oxygen at WOT, so you need less fuel to burn with it).

For the GT, and with any modern EFI vehicle, I can't imagine that there is a big difference in how the vehicle is tuned for various altitudes. First, the GT is equipped with a MAP sensor, so it knows the absolute pressure in the manifold. Variations in air pressure caused by altitude differences can therefore be compensated for automatically by the ECU. Further, there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust that monitor the air fuel ratio. The ECU is designed to monitor the A/F ratio with the oxygen sensors, and add fuel to the mixture if it goes lean, or take fuel away if it goes rich. I guess I don't understand how a change in altitude could affect the tune, given the engine controls of an EFI engine.

Having said that, it is certainly clear that the engine will make more power at lower altitudes, simply because there is more oxygen available to burn with the denser air. Of course, the supercharger tends to smear this difference a little, as compared to a naturally aspirated vehicle, but the supercharger is not electronically controlled; it applies a fixed amount of airflow based on the engine speed and pulley sizes. So, at any given engine operating point, the engine should be making more power at sea level than it does at higher altitudes. Of course, that is one of the correction factors applied to dyno results.

Short answer - I personally don't believe that the altitude you are at will affect your tune parameters; sounds to me like it is just rumor, left over from the days of carburetors. If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear a good, technical explanation of why ....

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Can the dealer tell that you have changed your tune? And deny your warranty? Or can they tell even if you reflash the orginal? That's my main concern until the warranty expires at least. It's a 30k engine plus install. The only reason I would consider it is that they say the engine runs cooler and/because the fans turn on quicker.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
mardyn said:
So 'splain something to me...

When I get my new Heffner pulley and "tune up" next month, the tuner I receive will have 3 seperate programs included?

I'm just assuming that the 91 tune has less timing, the 93 tune up has a little more, and the 100 octane tune has even more timing advance...

Or, do I just do one conservative reflash and be done with it?

btw.. Isn't it wonderful to have these choices? What a great moment in automotive history we currently reside.... :biggrin

mardyn
Mardyn, It was my understanding that the 3 different tunes come standard with the Heffner product and can be changed by the owner at will. Custom tunes are extra I believe.

RWTD

Oct 14, 2006
Mobile, AL
jaybnve said:
I'm used to working on the older iron myself (60's Ford musclecars), and in those vehicles, equipped with carburetors, altitude is critical to the tune. Typically you will jet the carburetors down at higher altitudes, to compensate for thinner air at higher altitudes (you will get less oxygen at WOT, so you need less fuel to burn with it).

For the GT, and with any modern EFI vehicle, I can't imagine that there is a big difference in how the vehicle is tuned for various altitudes. First, the GT is equipped with a MAP sensor, so it knows the absolute pressure in the manifold. Variations in air pressure caused by altitude differences can therefore be compensated for automatically by the ECU. Further, there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust that monitor the air fuel ratio. The ECU is designed to monitor the A/F ratio with the oxygen sensors, and add fuel to the mixture if it goes lean, or take fuel away if it goes rich. I guess I don't understand how a change in altitude could affect the tune, given the engine controls of an EFI engine.

Having said that, it is certainly clear that the engine will make more power at lower altitudes, simply because there is more oxygen available to burn with the denser air. Of course, the supercharger tends to smear this difference a little, as compared to a naturally aspirated vehicle, but the supercharger is not electronically controlled; it applies a fixed amount of airflow based on the engine speed and pulley sizes. So, at any given engine operating point, the engine should be making more power at sea level than it does at higher altitudes. Of course, that is one of the correction factors applied to dyno results.

Short answer - I personally don't believe that the altitude you are at will affect your tune parameters; sounds to me like it is just rumor, left over from the days of carburetors. If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear a good, technical explanation of why ....

Chris, that is an excellent reply, sir! If you would not mind, I would like to expound on this subject somewhat.

First off, the front O2 sensors (HEGO - heated exhaust gas oxygen sensor) help to dictate fueling during CL (Closed Loop). CL operation generally happens when the vehicle is at least 120 degrees or higher, depending on the calibration, and the time delay for OL (Open Loop) to CL transition has expired. The pcm always attempts to obtain a stoich value for fueling. Stoichiometry is the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. Gas stoichiometry applies when the gases produced are assumed to be ideal, and the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gases are all known. Thus the general stoich ratio of gasoline and air is 14.7:1 (Ford uses 14.64:1). This will produce the best emissions and drivability.

At WOT, or beyond a specific TP (throttle percentage), the vehicle will go into OL, and run off of, you guessed it, the OLFT (Open Loop Fuel Table). On a Ford, this table is generally comprised of 10 columns on the X-axis, and 8 rows on the Y-axis. The X-axis is expressed in RPM, and the Y-axis is either in TP (Counts), or Load (aka VE; more on that in a moment). Within the cells that make up these columns and rows, there are stoich values that the pcm will use to dictate the fueling of the vehicle. Here's an example I just whipped together to show is the OL fueling of a Ford GT:

(These values below are only "Commanded", not "Actual". For Commanded to become Actual, the MAF transfer must be properly calibrated; more on that in a moment.)
ford_gt_olft.gif

Amongst many other sensors, there is also the MAF, which is the sensor at/near the airbox on most vehicles. This sensor measures the amount of incoming air volume. The MAF is the most critical sensor on the vehicle, and it should always be properly calibrated/tuned throughout the entire curve. Within the calibration, there are 30 points to a Ford MAF transfer. Each of these points account for the actual voltage output of the MAF transfer, expressed either in volts, or A/D counts, which represents voltage digitally. Furthermore, the output of the MAF transfer function is used to calculate volumetric efficiency, expressed in Load % (0 to 200%). Without VE being correct, the pcm will not use the correct spark and fuel values given from their respected tables, thus possibly resulting in an extremely dangerous situation.

With a MAF equipped vehicle, so long as the MAF is not pegged (more on that in a moment), and the MAF transfer is properly calibrated, the pcm is always able to properly adjust the fueling and the spark for a given amount of measured air charge. This is how manufacturers are able to make 1 tune for the same car so that the vehicle can operate 100% properly within all conditions. In the case of custom tuning, a MAF controlled vehicle properly tuned at sea level, say Mobile, AL as an example, can drive to Denver, or even higher elevation, and the pcm will properly adjust for the change in density. Futhermore, most all air meters have temperature compensation, both built-in the meter and in the pcm calibration. If you cool the engine area off enough for ACT1, or inferred ambient, to reduce, it will modify the MAF transfer function.

In regards to a "pegged MAF", this is nothing more than the electronics becoming saturated. Basically, the 5v (1023 counts) MAF limit of the pcm is exceeded, therefore the pcm does not use anymore data from the MAF, and in turn will use a default Load (not as in "weight", but rather as in incoming air volume) table to determine VE. Of course this only happens when the MAF is beyond the 5v limit. Since the pcm isn't able to actually measure true air Load, and instead uses default data to gather this from, generally spark will go up and fuel will lean out = BOOM! Ford inputs in a 4.785v limit (980 counts) from the factory, but this can be increased to 5v (1023 counts) to provide a slight bit of more room.

With all that being said, I've only touched base on some of the main areas, but obviously there is so much more to the inner workings of a pcm, as well as tuning, than this. So many smaller things make up one large picture. This is why I feel that ALL individuals with performance vehicles should educate themselves within this industry. It not only helps ensure that you protect yourself, but it actually promotes better tuners! Here are some questions that you can utilize when finding a potential tuner:

1: When you tune the fueling of a vehicle, specifically say for the OL (Open Loop) portion of the tuning, do you datalog the measured output of the MAF versus AFR (air/fuel ratio), in order to calculate difference ratios, from the commanded AFR versus the measured AFR, to apply to the individual airflow values of the MAF transfer, so that your commanded AFR now becomes actual AFR? Or do you instead just tune the AFR strictly through the OL fuel table, from which commanded AFR can never be actual AFR, and calculated Load by the pcm will not be correct?

2: What about for closed loop tuning? Do you map out the MAF transfer via a datalog of the measured output of the MAF versus the STFT (short term fuel trim) values, in order to calculate and apply difference ratios to the individual airflow values of the MAF transfer, so that the STFT values are attempting to achieve within +/- 5% of stoichiometric? Or do you instead not even calibrate these areas of the MAF transfer?

MDT said:
Can the dealer tell that you have changed your tune? And deny your warranty? Or can they tell even if you reflash the orginal? That's my main concern until the warranty expires at least. It's a 30k engine plus install. The only reason I would consider it is that they say the engine runs cooler and/because the fans turn on quicker.

MDT, I made a post here concerning just that:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38211#post38211

I hope all this helps someone!

Kind Regards...

Last edited:

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
RWDT- Excellent description of how it all works :thumbsup, much appreciated. Could you recommend any books on the subject? I would like to learn more.

Craig

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
I would like to mention, "711" posted information on this forum regarding his installation of the FRP Long Tube Headers into the stock muffler. He indicated a large HP gain of about 61HP, along with an additional torque increase. I saw his dyno curves, and the computer adjusted the A/F ratio to 12.5:1 after the install (It was also 12.5:1 before the change). Both HP and torque curves smoothed out significantly after the install, but there was no feedback input from the outside cat sensor. The frontside sensor was connected. Without turning the outside sensor off, the check engine light comes on. On another tech topic regarding an Accufab installation and lots of input on tuning, the curves displayed by 711's after install, and the curves displayed when the after sensor on the stock cat installation is turned off, were very similar: they smoothed significantly. The main point here is the engine management computer system adjusted "automatically" to maintain A/F ratio and provide HP/Torque increases.

For what it is worth....

RWTD

Oct 14, 2006
Mobile, AL
I'll take a moment to comment on what you stated, if you do not mind. I recently tuned a Ford GT after the install of FRPP headers (it was also equipped with an aftermarket pulley). The car was tuned via long distance in real time (datalogs and dyno files were emailed to me after each pull, from which I would make adjustments, email the new file, and a new dyno pull was performed). After the owner heard just how loud his car was (it was excruciating to him and many others), he decided to have the shop who installed the system to actually uninstall the system. The car was then dynoed again, and showed a net change in overall power to be exactly almost 0. The afr stayed exactly the same, and this was because of the reasonings I gave in my post #13 above (modern day vehicles generally use "MAF based systems").

From just that one particular vehicle, it was concluded that the factory manifolds weren't really a restriction. The same holds true with the Cobra, in that the factory manifolds aren't really a restriction below 700 rwhp Actual (not SAE, as Actual is what is the most important when determining component capabilities). Jim Bell of Kenne Bell, as well as many other prominent company owners and tuners have also tested and flow tested various headers and manifolds over the years. We have all seen the same results in our testing when it comes to the factory Ford manifolds on the Modular engines (they really flow just that well!).

In terms of where power can come from magically on the dyno, the pcm utilizes a stategy that can lower spark values in order to protect the engine if IAT2 or ECT gets too hot. The factory spark strategy can vary wildly in the Cobra, Lightning, and GT. An example of a Ford GT is at 150 degrees IAT2 (temperature after the intercooler), which such a temperature can be easily obtained in back to back WOT pulls, the pcm will retard spark by 2.44 degrees. If temps start to rise even further, there will be even a larger loss. Futhermore, there is a "2nd order effect" loss by having higher temperatures from the blower, which results in greater drive power of the blower. Also, the COT strategy discussed in 632c's thread (located here: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38188#post38188 ), may not always come into play during a WOT session. It all depends on temps. When your afr drops from a commanded 12.0 to a near commanded 10.0, there is going to be a huge loss of power.

Now, as for the rear O2 sensors, these are disabled in a custom tune. However, those who may have a check engine light due to the fact of a damaged cat, or without cats, will only be just that, a check engine light. It does not reduce drivability or power output, and disabling the rear sensors will not allow for a smoother power curve. Those sensors are just there to determine if the cats are functioning properly, and alert the driver with a check engine light if they aren't.

Now, in regards to the erratic nature of 632C2's dyno curves from his post here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3485

This can be attributed to various issues. Provided a vehicle has been correctly and properly tuned, the two biggest reasons are:

#1: If you look at the top right of the dynograph you will notice that "Smoothing" is set to "0". This should be set to "5", so that the dyno's electronics can apply correction for various dyno and vehicle harmonic feedback.

#2: The gap on the factory plugs is a bit wide, and most will almost always experience spark blow-out up top after usually 6k and above, but can occur as low as 5k and above. Gapping the plugs down to around .030 to .036, depending on boost level, will generally clean this up substantially, if not fully.

Also, for everyone, I will be in-person dyno tuning a near stock Ford GT most likely next week on Thursday. I will post up before and after graphs, at various spark and air/fuel ratios, so that everyone can see the difference in power output.

I hope this helps!

Very Sincerely,

James

Last edited:

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
James...Thanks for the feedback. "711" may want to have his engine performance data modeled to be sure he is running OK. My only point was the computer maintained what appeared to be a "safe" operating set of parameters when the headers were installed, AND the dyno showed a significant horsepower and torque increase. Also, as I recall, the torque curve changed in a manner which amost duplicated the slope of the new horsepower curve, due I assume, to the effect of the close to "equal" length header tubes. Again, you may have a better technical explanation for this. I'd be curious exactly how the computer adjusted and how close to any specific "tuner" settings the self adjusted curve was.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why aren't more wideband O2 sensors used in cars so that they can run closed loop even at WOT? Is it a cost and or maintenance issue? If the stock ECU can be programmed to use a wideband sensor then you in theory set a target AF ratio for all operational ranges and the system and learn and self tune itself even at WOT.

BlackICE

RWTD

Oct 14, 2006
Mobile, AL
Richard, I would agree that he should definitely have his car professionally tuned by a competent tuner (they do not even have to specialize in a Ford GT, but I would highly recommend one that has a lot of experience with the Ford Cobra and Lightning, since they are all very similar in calibration control). However, I still do not feel that an aftermarket header will provide much more, if any, power gains over the factory manifold, at least not below the 650 rwhp level, and possibly even up to 700 rwhp (all #s expressed as "Actual"). Maybe I can talk my local customer into some of the upcoming Stainless Works LTs, so we can test this theory out? LOL! :biggrin

BlackICE, that's a good question. I believe you hit the nail on the head when it comes to cost and maintenance issues. So you will know, the Cadillac Catera used a Bosch 5-wire true wideband sensor, as do most newer VWs. However, when it boils down to it, a wideband sensor is truly not needed, as these MAF based systems are basically foolproof. I'm sure eventually, as costs come down, and programming systems become even more complicated, and EPA regulations become even more stringent, we'll start to see more true wideband sensors in vehicles.

Sincerely,

James

Last edited:

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
RWTD, that is a great series of posts, especially for a guy like me who doesn't know too much about EFI, but wants to learn :thumbsup . Sounds like the MAF sensor is more important than the MAP sensor in keeping the car tuned properly under open loop conditions. A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. What is the configuration of the MAF sensor on the GT? Is it a door that is opened further and further as more air is drawn into the engine, and the angle of the door opening is proportional to the mass air flow? Or is it something different?

2. Do you have the actual A/F values from the open loop fuel table that you posted for a stock GT?

3. I recently purchased an SCT programmer with a custom tune in it for the GT. If I interface this to my PC I assume that I will be able to see the fuel table that the custom tune is going to install?

4. Do you know the reason for the wide plug gap that Ford uses on the GT engine? I've run several supercharged engines on my dyno, and have never seen any benefit to running more than about .032" plug gap. In most cases where boost is higher than 7-8 psi, a wider plug gap will lose power. I don't understand why Ford uses a bigger gap, when reducing the gap down to .030" or so provides a clear performance advantage.

Thanks in advance for any comments!