Seat Hieght Adjustment

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
Is it possible to safely raise/shim the seat 1' higher?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Is it possible to safely raise/shim the seat 1' higher?

Curiously ............................... Why ?

--

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
I prefer to sit a little higher, Im 5'6" and the seat has no height adjustment.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I prefer to sit a little higher, Im 5'6" and the seat has no height adjustment.

In all seriousness, you might PM "PL510*Jeff" and ask him what (if any) seat mods he's made. He's around your height as well (give or take) & may have altered his seat height. :cheers

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
http://knightsautoworks.wordpress.com/ Try this link and look for seat booster item #5 on the right. Steve (Knights Autoworks) is one of our forum sponsors and I have the boosters for my wife and kids when they are in the car.

Last edited:

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
http://knightsautoworks.wordpress.com/ Try this link and look for seat booster item #5 on the right. Steve (Knights Autoworks) is one of our forum sponsors and I have the boosters for my wife and kids when they are in the car.

Nice item (seat booster)...... seems a little pricey !

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Have you tried taking the wipers off? I'm your height and it improved my line of sight 100%. You will feel as is you are sitting 2-3 inches higher. Keep the wipers in the pouch, if it rains it is a 1-2 minute add on. Try it ---I hope it helps you.

Manny

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Why not get four 1" long spacers and some M10x1.5 mm bolts that are an inch longer (say 45 mm) and install them under the seat rails?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why not get four 1" long spacers and some M10x1.5 mm bolts that are an inch longer (say 45 mm) and install them under the seat rails?

Adding spacers would make the seat's attachment to the body weaker. How much I couldn't say. Since the seat belts are attached to the seat frame this should be carefully thought about from a safety point of view.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Adding spacers would make the seat's attachment to the body weaker. How much I couldn't say. Since the seat belts are attached to the seat frame this should be carefully thought about from a safety point of view.

Besides, that solution is just too darn simple, RALPHIE!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Only 3 mins to respond. That is quick, I feel that you are my shadowing me. Should I call you Shadowman2?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Have you tried taking the wipers off? I'm your height and it improved my line of sight 100%. You will feel as is you are sitting 2-3 inches higher. Keep the wipers in the pouch, if it rains it is a 1-2 minute add on. Try it ---I hope it helps you.

Manny

I would try this first. I took my wipers off a week after I got the car back in November 2006. They have not been on since..:biggrin

I would do something similar but a slightly different method. Look at getting two solid billet bars 1" high and span them cross ways from side rail to side rail . Use the existing holes and longer bolts this should maintain and tie the two solid rail structures together. :thumbsup You could run them Length wise which would be cleaner but cross wise would most likely be stronger

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Only 3 mins to respond. That is quick, I feel that you are my shadowing me. Should I call you Shadowman2?

:skep Eeeeeeeeeeeh.........no. Not ackshully.:slap

Besides, I believe someone's already referred to me on a couple prior occasions as the Forum's "Phantom", have they not? (A moniker that the memorial din-din might now have compromised...as well as a certain photo I shant bring up...:secret:)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I would do something similar but a slightly different method. Look at getting two solid billet bars 1" high and span them cross ways from side rail to side rail . Use the existing holes and longer bolts this should maintain and tie the two solid rail structures together :thumbsup You could run them Length wise which would be cleaner but cross wise would most likely be stronger

I agree - just make sure there is no interference with the adjusting bar for the seat.

Aug 25, 2006

I would prefer to bolt a full length riser likely with a cross brace as if OEM and then bolt the seat track to the riser again as if OEM; this would require a seat track stagger towards the front or the rear byt an amount not much greater than the size of the bolt head.

Just a thought

Shadowman

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
: I believe someone's already referred to me on a couple prior occasions as the Forum's "Phantom", have they not? (

Phantom Pockets .......................... has a nice ring to it. :secret:

--

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
Thanks for the quick response. I will look into the suggestions. I checked with the local Ford dealership and they will not make any height adjustments. Removing the wipers will help.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks for the quick response. I will look into the suggestions. I checked with the local Ford dealership and they will not make any height adjustments. Removing the wipers will help.

Be advised on the wiper thing: a replacement FGT wiper IS (or soon will be) available (which is made by a Forum sponsor) that basically "disappears" down below one's line of sight when in the "rest" postition.

You might wanna look into getting a pair of those if removing your OEM's solves your "view" pblm. :cheers

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
GT Guys are going to raise my seat by 3/4" but I'm not sure how they plan on doing it. I will check with them and find out.

Steve