ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I was asked by my GT concierge what should be made available for the new GT and at the top of my list was seat covers. When the ‘05-‘06 GT was new Ford Performance offered some very durable black canvas seat covers and I’ve had these on my ‘06 GT for over a decade now. Both those covers (photo below) and the leather seats underneath still look brand new on my 12 year old 22,000 mile GT. I find those covers very comfortable, non-slip, and cooler in our AZ heat than the uncovered seat. I have probably let a couple thousand people sit in my GT’s and they get a big kick out of that. But it’s also a lot more wear and tear on the seats if they’re not covered.

So....if you own a new GT or have an allocation for one please post up and answer -

If Ford offered black seat covers similar to the ones they sold for the old GT would you buy them?

My answer is obviously HELL YES and the sooner the better before auto show fans wear my seats out. If enough owners express an interest Ford may make them available. All the best.

Chip

Attachments

• A2C1F473-F7E6-4E94-8244-667FD1087ADD.jpg
    A2C1F473-F7E6-4E94-8244-667FD1087ADD.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 485

Fasferrari

Sep 1, 2017
Avon, CT
Gentlemen,

I was asked by my GT concierge what should be made available for the new GT and at the top of my list was seat covers. When the ‘05-‘06 GT was new Ford Performance offered some very durable black canvas seat covers and I’ve had these on my ‘06 GT for over a decade now. Both those covers (photo below) and the leather seats underneath still look brand new on my 12 year old 22,000 mile GT. I find those covers very comfortable, non-slip, and cooler in our AZ heat than the uncovered seat. I have probably let a couple thousand people sit in my GT’s and they get a big kick out of that. But it’s also a lot more wear and tear on the seats if they’re not covered.

So....if you own a new GT or have an allocation for one please post up and answer -

If Ford offered black seat covers similar to the ones they sold for the old GT would you buy them?

My answer is obviously HELL YES and the sooner the better before auto show fans wear my seats out. If enough owners express an interest Ford may make them available. All the best.

Chip
Hell yes!
Will I be able to order the seat covers when I spec my GT?
Hopefully soon.
Thank you very much Chip.
Best wishes.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I would hope that the seat covers could be made to match the colours of the interiors. It would be a shame to cover the seat if they have the different colours than the standard black.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Other option is get someone reputable to template and custom make them, and once they have pattern, presumably can make lots, and share development costs... Group buy of sorts.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I would be interested, Chip.

andy (ajb)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yes!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
YES !! :thumbsup

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I'm in

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Great suggestion. I would purchase a set or two.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
93f52f65a7ae6973d14f2dd24cd562ca.gif

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would be interested as I plan on driving my New GT a lot more than I drove my 06 GT!

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I also would love a pair. I also put them on my 06 when new and now have 77,172 miles on her. IMO A must for me and the amount of people I let sit in my car.. Put me down for a set...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would buy them if I had no other options. I would prefer something more custom, that matches the seats more. I was looking at mine, and thinking how a cover that is the same blue alcantara, black center with the stitching, doesnt at least look that hard. I think at least our lightspeed (blue) interior the seats are a much bigger focal point of the car, than the 05. Would miss them if completely covered with a generic cover.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Seat covers?? What’s next a fuzzy dash cover?? Before you know it there will be a group buy on autozone front bras,lol

Flame suit on!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
maybe just a custom cover for the base of the seat, not the back? That's where most of the wear is correct?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Seat covers?? What’s next a fuzzy dash cover?? Before you know it there will be a group buy on autozone front bras,lol

Flame suit on!

I would like one of the fuzzy dash covers like you have in your GT... are you still making them?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Would certainly have to see the approach first. I don't like the '05/06 options, but my seats have paid the price.

How could you cover this up? (from Hennessey's website)

77-hennessey-ford-gt-1024x682.jpg

80-hennessey-ford-gt-1024x682.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
At least the way Im getting in and out, for the maybe 10 times I have gotten in and out so far, seems like it will be the left upper bolster. Lower bolster is flush or under the top of the door sill.

base of the seat, not the back? That's where most of the wear is correct?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I would hope that the seat covers could be made to match the colours of the interiors. It would be a shame to cover the seat if they have the different colours than the standard black.

Gentlemen,

There is no way that any utilitarian seat cover is going to look as good as the uncovered seat. Start with that as a given. And it's unlikely with the very limited production of GT’s that Ford would cook up 7 different seat covers trying to match 7 different interiors that have been produced so far. If they made one that would be great. I have never used seat covers on any vehicle in my life EXCEPT for my GT. It’s the only vehicle I intend to keep for decades and a vehicle that will never be scrapped even decades after I’m dead.

The functional seat covers on my ‘06 don’t ruin the looks of my seats as I can take them off any time. They simply serve a protective function just like a car cover. These clearly aren’t for everybody but for members like me who let lots of people get in and out they are important. If somebody want a super custom color matched cover that doesn’t look like it’s a cover then you’d have to cook that up on your own. That would be like trying to make a car cover look almost as good as an uncovered car though. All I’m trying to find out here is if there is enough call for a simple fitted black protective seat cover that you can use and remove anytime you want to show your orange/blue/white/grey/black interior off. Cheers.

Chip

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Would certainly have to see the approach first. I don't like the '05/06 options, but my seats have paid the price. How could you cover this up?View attachment 50237
View attachment 50238

Your seats have paid the price. The seats in my ‘06 have zero wear and look brand new. We just see it a different way. I look at the above interior and if John was going to let tons of people get in and out I’d think, “How can you risk damaging or putting a lot of wear on that interior by NOT covering it? Putting on seat covers doesn’t mean you’ll never see your beautiful interior again. You can take them off in minutes any time you want. We just had a member here put up a thread advertising a nice set of used seats for over $10,000 that you can buy to replace your old seats that look worn. You know when your new GT seats start looking worn a replacement set will be bitchy expensive. I use floor mats to keep my carpet nice, a car cover when I have to leave a nice vehicle outdoors, I’ve got a 4 layer skin on my windshield, over $10,000 worth of clear bra, and I view protecting these valuable seats the same way.

Chip

Last edited: