SCT tune

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Indeed ! The GT as we all know is a very special vehicle in so many ways.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Is it possible that you got some bad gas that wasn't really up to the 91 octane level required?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
In my reading I have become aware of the difference the between detonation and pre ignition. Detonation occures during the upstroke of the piston(deadly- the rod will push up through the piston) and detonation(the ignition of unburned gasses occuring on the down stroke of the piston). neither is good, but detonation can be somewhat tolerated by the engine, remember the old v8's would ping all the time when you stepped hard on the pedal.

Analog, I woudn't be too bummed out, I'm sure you got out of the pedal quickly. And I'm sure your engine is fine.

There are many good tuners around who could get your car on a chassis dyno and do some programming changes for more hp, if your still interested.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
octane?

'cuda,

Yes, it's possible, however unlikely. When I get time, I will try to figure out what went wrong with this particular custom tune. I have filled the car with a fresh tank of gas, so I can give it another try. I will also hook up some instrumentation to monitor any abnormal activity.

Thanks, Jay
www.gtsaver.com
californiacuda said:
Is it possible that you got some bad gas that wasn't really up to the 91 octane level required?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Shit gas will do it so would spark to far advanced or a lean condition.

data log it with the xcal that will tell you everything you need to know with the exception of wide band AF

2006 Silver Jeep SRT-8 12.4@109.6

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Torrie, by data logging the info, I guess you would look at the timing advance at certain load/rpm positions and based on your experience know that for a 91 octane tune, that's to much advance?

What else could be the issue, high iat, too lean. Would appreciate your thought process?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yes thats the basis of it.

fly-by

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
I have the sct tuner and have tuned the car on a dyno with it. It works great but the program was built from the dyno runs. The car configuration is - Borla exhaust, K&N filters and ida intake hose braces to keep the hose form pulling down under high boost.Some answers to questions posted- you can not use the sct on multiple cars, the flash is tied to the vin number of your car. You can load more than 1 program in the sct-ie one program with more advance using race gas, one program using less advance with 91 octane. The tuner can supply you with the sct and a custom program for your car if he has done the matching configuration on someone else"s car in his library.The tuner has to have other software to really get into the ecm to change items at a detail level beyond the canned sct set up. So for example if one of you had the same configuration i have you could call the shop where i had it done and have an sct sent to you with the custom program and flash it into your car. The cost of the sct plus the custom program is what you would be looking at. I will be going to configration 2 in about 2-3 weeks which will be -Borla, K&Ns,new 17 lbs boost pulley and a retune. My objective with the car was to remain conservative and get as much horsepower as possible. My definition of conservative -be able to carry on a conversation in the car (muffler choice), run 91 octane, not worry about detonation, and not go to the exteme end of engine envelope(power vs durability).The engine is very conservatively tuned in stock form. I learned a lot in the intial dyno runs about the nuances of the software of which there some interesting things ford did to detune the engine and you must have a competant shop with a dyno to do a really good job of setting up the sct.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
fly-by said:
...of which there some interesting things ford did to detune the engine...

Why would Ford detune the engine, other than to stay within EPA/CARB smog requirements, engine durability for lower warrantee costs, drivability and for safety margins for bad gas and other things that may go wrong.

The more HP the better the car would stack up against other vehicles and the better for Ford. So any changes would be a compromise against one or more or the above.

Of course many would prefer more power and are willing to composmise on other parameters.

BlackICE

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You pretty much answered yourself right there.

BlackICE said:
fly-by said:
...of which there some interesting things ford did to detune the engine...QUOTE]

Why would Ford detune the engine, other than to stay within EPA/CARB smog requirements, engine durability for lower warrantee costs, drivability and for safety margins for bad gas and other things that may go wrong.

The more HP the better the car would stack up against other vehicles and the better for Ford. So any changes would be a compromise against one or more or the above.

Of course many would prefer more power and are willing to composmise on other parameters.

BlackICE

fly-by

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Black ice, they did it for exactly the reasons you stated. When we were in Detroit i was able to spend some time with one of the engineers on the car to see if he would confirm some things i had found in the software regarding the state on tune-he did and it helped make some sense out the power curves that seemed a little strange when on the dyno.