Saleen's new supercharger keeps engine guarantee!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Saleen was yesterday at Maroone and said on march 3rd they are introducing a supercharger built only by them and installed by anyone without loosing factory warrantee.

It is a Saleen 650 supercharger twin screw that boost the horsepower of the Ford GT "100" horse power. It costs 12,000.00 $ plus whatever installation would be on top of that.

Thought it's worth a post, as keping the guarantee is a very good thing for many concerned ! Also confirms, that 100HP more won't hurt anything..

stefan

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Interesting. More hp is (almost) always good, and I trust Saleen.

But hey, how about that exotic tax, huh? :lol 12k for a blower? Is it made of unobtanium?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
DBK said:
Interesting. More hp is (almost) always good, and I trust Saleen.

But hey, how about that exotic tax, huh? :lol 12k for a blower? Is it made of unobtanium?

No its obtanium if you have the other heavy metals to pay for it.

It does seem very steep in price, but another option. Also how does it not void the warranty? Is it a Ford Performance approved item?

Just wondering.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
We'll find that all out. I got this msg fresh from the Maroone (sales)people. How much is the big whipple then, btw?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Saleen was yesterday at Maroone and said on march 3rd they are introducing a supercharger built only by them and installed by anyone without loosing factory warrantee.

I doubt it. The question is if it is Saleen that will cover the warrantee or if there's an agreement with Ford to warrantee. Also, no way either of them will permit "installed by anyone" and provide a warrantee.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Must be the superduper version of their new series 6 blower.

I'd still take the 3.3L...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Humor

You know why I really like this Forum? The mental quips and intelligent jibes are fabulous. Unobtanium - other heavy metals - you guys are just too much. How many of you are on Leno's payroll? FJP

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
VERY interesting, I'm not necessarily thinking I need more HP, but more is usually better. I'm going to SSV soon and will certainly inquire then and via email shortly. Anyone else heard anything . . . e.g., Mod Friendly, Centerpunch????

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Lol keep your factory warranty if installed by anyone and everyone. Common from Sales people as well. Saleen is the same company that sells the N20 focus that has a NOS kit in it from factory, but has a plug in the fuel and nos solenoids that once it is taken out the powertrain warranty is void. Also the same company that sells the supercharged Saleens with a sticker/plate on the pulley of the blower that if it is moved or missing at time of warranty issue the warranty is null and void. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTTS ABOUT IT. The charger may give you 100hp but thats a waste of $12000.00 plus installation IMO. I couldnt sleep at night and charge someone basically $13000.00-$14000.00 for a charger that only gives you 100hp. Obtanium lol thats nice stuff right there. Id check the validity of the salesman that said that at Maroone cause as far as service is concerned, and after dealing with saleen numerous times. If it didnt come installed from them its not their problem. No exceptions. Stefan I would not trust that info you were given. Whipple all the way.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
12k for 100hp. Sounds like Saleen wants to take advangtage of some of the rich, stupid guys who own GT,s. You can get 100hp with a pulley change and a reflash and spend what, 2 to 3k at most. If Saleen's mod is safe enough for them to guarentee then adding 100 hp with a small tweek should be as safe.

If Saleen has a twin screw, they didn,t make it and would probably do what Whipple and a Kenne Bell have done in the past, buy from a Swedish company and put their name on it.

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Im going to try and leave this one alone, but IMO this is a rip for 12k plus installation for just 100hp.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
californiacuda said:
12k for 100hp. Sounds like Saleen wants to take advangtage of some of the rich, stupid guys who own GT,s. You can get 100hp with a pulley change and a reflash and spend what, 2 to 3k at most. If Saleen's mod is safe enough for them to guarentee then adding 100 hp with a small tweek should be as safe.

If Saleen has a twin screw, they didn,t make it and would probably do what Whipple and a Kenne Bell have done in the past, buy from a Swedish company and put their name on it.

Exactly what I have said in the past. It won't even cost $ 3,000.

Dave

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
The whipple will be around $6K to $7K per the whipple rep. Will be good to 25lbs of boost and get you up to and above 800hp. If the engine likes 25lbs of boost is a different question. I got 112hp gain from my upgrade and cost my a total of $6K. All I have to do is run 100 octane and have it re-tuned and I can get 700hp to the rear.

Whipple said with my modes at the same boost I should see a gain of 30 to 40 hp with the bigger blower.

I would take the whipple any day over the saleen. I am sure Ford is not going to cover anything over 12lbs of boost. So Whipple, Salleen or a pulley upgrade with take you abover that factor.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've posted this before, but either way you're probably getting some very similar stuff. Lysholm Tech and Autorotor are both subsidiaries of the Opcon group so I assume they share resources. If you get a Whipple, you're getting a lysholm tech core, if you get a Kenne Bell, you're getting an Autorotor core.

Obviously the kits can vary significantly once spec'd by those authorized aftermarket suppliers, but either way you're getting product based on old Alf's design, under the umbrella of one company...

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Dbk

Whipple makes there own Twin-Screw Supercharger NOW !!! It ISN'T a " OPCON"Autorotor / Lyshom!!!

AMB

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
My father in law is 74 years old, a mechanical engineer and educated in Sweden. He says when he was going to engineering school, back in the day, he took a class taught by a Professor Lysholm

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
californiacuda said:

I think the whole point of someone going with the saleen supercharger as oposed with a smaller pulley and tune is the alleged non voiding of warranty if you go with the Saleen. Having said that I doubt that is ture, but at the same time It wouldnt surprise me if it *might* be true for some reason with this car. Anyone find out eitherway?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I'd question that ????? Factory warranty?

Saleen may be trying to say they will warranty it. But why would Ford? Sounds like sales smoke to me also.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
PILOTJPW1 said:
Saleen may be trying to say they will warranty it. But why would Ford? Sounds like sales smoke to me also.

B-I-N-G-O

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
So lets say they do warantee the damn thing, in all the other threads the whine is how mods void the the damn thing? So here is one that may not! The complaint by many is that they dont want to mod because a 27K engine is just to precious to fjck up? :willy

Fact is at 12K even if it costs 3k to prduce adding in the cost of a few engine failures and you understand why its 12k? Anything for a car that is produced in small numbers and modded in even smaller numbers is going to carry a heavy premium! Considering how many GT's sold with a heavy dealer mark up in the begining a 100 non voiding HP for 12K isnt really that bad!