May 5, 2009
San Diego
Bummer =\

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Truly sad but understandable under the most regrettable circumstances.

Gone, but not forgotten. Incredible company and exemplary effort that took the GT's back to LeMans - first class all the way and hospitable beyond belief. Met some people there I'll always remember.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Met some people there I'll always remember.[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Wonderful memories - I relive a few of them daily....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A brief shining moment.

Gentlemen,

Less than a year ago DBK and I sat in a suite right above the Matech pit at Le Mans. Practice was about to start 2 days before the actual race. Martin Bartek was sitting in the pit booth at the edge of the track staring at his computer screens. He spun around in his chair and looked at us sitting above the pit and he extended his arms wide, looking down the front straight one way, then the other, then back at us with a huge smile on his face. It certainly seemed, like Leonardo DiCaprio standing on the bow railing of the Titanic screaming, “I'm the king of the world!”, that things could not be any better. But like that movie scene, things would soon go seriously wrong.

Matech Competition was a brilliant moment in the sun for everybody who loves and appreciates the Ford GT.

Chip

LeMans 318.jpg

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
This truly saddens me .Its one of those brief moments in time we will treasure…..
My heart felt sympathies for the Bartek family.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Alas, the faint hope of a Ford GT showing at the 50th anniversary of the original 1-2-3 win grows dimmer.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Truly another sad moment in Matech's very short but very bright life.

I think about Matech, Martin, our team, our cars, you our supporters and now lifelong friends, and fans, every single day without fail ! While there are many sad things to reflect upon, I try look back on the best of times as the memories I choose to keep at the front of my mind. Here are just a couple of my memories...that often bring a little tear of joy to my face...
- handing Chip Beck one of the doors from car 61 upon his arrival at our pit garage at Le Mans, with the Forum sponsor name.
- watching Thomas, Romain and Jonathan utterly dominate the early stages of GT1 at Le Mans, thanks to the car that Martin designed and built, and in the words of Richard Westbrook - thanks to the most professional team he has ever worked with.
- seeing the Forum members that made it all the way to France have, hopefully, one of the best motoring experiences of their lives with 'their' team.
- the smiles and tears of joy on Martin's face when the team and cars were properly unveiled in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of the World Championship, and then suitably rewarded when Romain and Thomas dominated its first race to win - what a car, and what a team.
- the passion in the team and the satisfaction when we won the gruelling 24 hours of Spa at our first attempt in GT3.
- the first time I photographed the new GT1 turning its wheels at Ascari Race Resort in Spain. In bare carbon, it had such purpose. Everyone was fired up, really buzzing about the car. The mechanics loved it because it was easy to work on, the drivers loved it because it reacted so well to the smallest of adjustments. Again quoting Richard Westbrook, "The car handles like a prototype...amazing"
- videoing the mechanics performing pit stop practice at 1.30am at a freezing Spa circuit, as repairs and adjustments had taken longer than expected. They ALL insisted on doing this at crazy o'clock, so I stayed too.

For me, it has been such a pleasure and a huge privilege to work with the most amazing group of individuals I have ever met, and see them develop into a truly formidable team that had passion, determination, and the highest levels of integrity. I have had the opportunity to live my dreams. I have made some lifelong friends in the team, and in the various championships, and also a number of you I hope.

I could go on writing and reminiscing, but don't want to ramble on. I've about 50,000 photographs of all things Matech...and which tell a pretty cool story - makes me a pretty luck guy I think.

My best wishes to you all, and do please stay in touch...all of you.
Take care.
Steven.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all......

A brilliant chapter in so many lives, prematurely shortened. Very sad to have read about the death of such a passionate chap, sincere sympathies to his family and many friends.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Truly another sad moment in Matech's very short but very bright life.

I think about Matech, Martin, our team, our cars, you our supporters and now lifelong friends, and fans, every single day without fail ! While there are many sad things to reflect upon, I try look back on the best of times as the memories I choose to keep at the front of my mind. Here are just a couple of my memories...that often bring a little tear of joy to my face...
- handing Chip Beck one of the doors from car 61 upon his arrival at our pit garage at Le Mans, with the Forum sponsor name.
- watching Thomas, Romain and Jonathan utterly dominate the early stages of GT1 at Le Mans, thanks to the car that Martin designed and built, and in the words of Richard Westbrook - thanks to the most professional team he has ever worked with.
- seeing the Forum members that made it all the way to France have, hopefully, one of the best motoring experiences of their lives with 'their' team.
- the smiles and tears of joy on Martin's face when the team and cars were properly unveiled in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of the World Championship, and then suitably rewarded when Romain and Thomas dominated its first race to win - what a car, and what a team.
- the passion in the team and the satisfaction when we won the gruelling 24 hours of Spa at our first attempt in GT3.
- the first time I photographed the new GT1 turning its wheels at Ascari Race Resort in Spain. In bare carbon, it had such purpose. Everyone was fired up, really buzzing about the car. The mechanics loved it because it was easy to work on, the drivers loved it because it reacted so well to the smallest of adjustments. Again quoting Richard Westbrook, "The car handles like a prototype...amazing"
- videoing the mechanics performing pit stop practice at 1.30am at a freezing Spa circuit, as repairs and adjustments had taken longer than expected. They ALL insisted on doing this at crazy o'clock, so I stayed too.

For me, it has been such a pleasure and a huge privilege to work with the most amazing group of individuals I have ever met, and see them develop into a truly formidable team that had passion, determination, and the highest levels of integrity. I have had the opportunity to live my dreams. I have made some lifelong friends in the team, and in the various championships, and also a number of you I hope.

I could go on writing and reminiscing, but don't want to ramble on. I've about 50,000 photographs of all things Matech...and which tell a pretty cool story - makes me a pretty luck guy I think.

My best wishes to you all, and do please stay in touch...all of you.
Take care.
Steven.

Steven,
I think its time to tell your story in a book with photos , commemorating the Matech team……
Sign me up for a copy please!

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Steven,
I think its time to tell your story in a book with photos , commemorating the Matech team……
Sign me up for a copy please!

Agreed !! History demands it....

H

HHGT

You may even think about selling a complete set of all the pictures. If the price is right, I am interested, please PM me. A book is a plus too.

zgt

Sep 19, 2009
I'd buy a DVD of those photographs and videos as well. My condolences to the Bartek family.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
I think a DVD of the pictures would do them or the subject justice. I'm working on a photobook of the 2010 FIA GT1 season about Matech, including a lot of pre-season stuff. I kept most of the best photos off the website, and will have never been seen before. Then I'll have a think about what to do with the pre 2010 imagery.

As for writing my story....I'm am better photographer than writer lol.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
As for writing my story....I'm am better photographer than writer lol.

The pictures WILL tell the story.

Looking forward to ordering mine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Gee I think that was my best idea ever!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Return to Le Mans.

Steven,

That was a great moment for me as well. I don't know if you remember my post where I photo-shopped the Ford GT Forum logo onto the door of the black GT-1 Matech prototype and everybody including our fearless leader DBK thought it was a pipe dream. That dream came true as a result of this Forums passion for the history of the Ford GT. I had spoken to Martin about flying to Europe to do an extensive taped interview of him and other team members to write a book about The Ford GT's "Return to Le Mans". Unfortunately, a lot of the story has now died along with Martin. But I did discuss a lot of it with him and I know you know 100 X more than I do. I'm sure that there are better writers than me to tackle such a project and I would be happy if somebody took it on. But if they don't, you and I should collaborate next year as Charley will be off at Texas A&M and I believe it is a story that needs to be written with your involvement. You photograph and I write. What do you think?

Chip

LeMans Door.jpg

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Chip my friend - you have a deal :)

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
The closing chapter on an amazing team, an amazing car, an amazing leader and story.

One that should not, and for some, will never be forgotten.

Chip, Steven, if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.