Rev counter default

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008
Today, after some weeks, I started my baby; everything ok except rev counter that stopped at 1900 rpm also with the idle engine.
During the trip the needle moved up sometimes with the engine rpm but
not up and down with the engine speed as normal condition.
When back in the garage, switching off the engine, the needle remain on 2200 rpm.
Any experience on that? Solutions?
Thanks to all the friends.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
I do not pretend to be an expert, but all these gauge issues point to low battery voltage. Even though you drove the car, and in theory charged up the battery, try putting the battery on a slow charge until completely up to full voltage. Also, it seems that recycling the start sequence a few times after the battery is recharged will help the gauges come back to life. The computer that controls the gauges has a low voltage detection process that shuts down the gauges if the system voltage is below a certain value, I think this is what starts these kind of problems.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good advice. You can get a good kit for this from Kendall, or jump into Harley Davidson and pick up a float charger for about $45.

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008
unfortunately I always have the battery under automatic power supply; today, after the small trip, I haven't put the supply on,... just to change.
Maybe the voltage level was too high instead of too low...even if I'm afraid
the solution is not so easy ...
Let's see.....

Aug 25, 2006
unfortunately I always have the battery under automatic power supply; today, after the small trip, I haven't put the supply on,... just to change.
Maybe the voltage level was too high instead of too low...even if I'm afraid
the solution is not so easy ...
Let's see.....

It is unlikely that greater voltage is the problem nonetheless I would not get too excited.

Yes there have been some gauges fail and if this is the case the replacing of it is fairly painless.

Takes care

Shadowman

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Charge battery before spending money!

It is a well documented fact that the gauges react very erratically with a low battery charge. I know of several forum members that paniced because their gauges stopped working altogether or started acting funny. The correction is usually to charge up the battery. Not saying that I know this is the issue this time but before you think anything else charge the battery first.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Not sure if it is applicable, but the negative battery cable connection to the car frame has also been an "issue" with electrical anomolies. It is always a good and easy operation to remove the cable from the frame, sand both cable/frame surfaces and reattach to remove this from the troublesooting equation.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
The negative battery cable comment is a very good one. On my car, the frame at the cable attaching point was TOTALLY covered with paint. I carefully sanded away the paint and cleaned both the cable and bolt with steel wool, then put everything back together.

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008
I'll do for sure the recommended operation next sunday!!
I'll keep you informed.
Many yhanks to all of you.

The negative battery cable comment is a very good one. On my car, the frame at the cable attaching point was TOTALLY covered with paint. I carefully sanded away the paint and cleaned both the cable and bolt with steel wool, then put everything back together.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Additionally, a star washer under the bolt head is also a good way to maintain positive contact.