replacement battery

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
before someone bites my head off. I need to replace my battery. I was trying to find a recent post about replacement batteries and the general opinion, but they all seem to be several years old.

Sears no longer sells batteries in Canada, Optimum batteries seem to have differing opinions on the forum.

I would appreciate to hear what today's ideas are regarding batteries?++

All set

I finally found the post with battery recommendations

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Not sure if you smog in Canada, but changing your battery, messed up the US smog testing to the point that you fail to pass. Takes about 120 miles of driving between 65-70 to reset the smog mechanics to eventually pass.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I believe the highly recommended Die Hards are no longer sold by Sears. I also think if you hook up 12V to the cigarette lighter (ok, Power Point) when you are changing the battery, you can preserve internal settings and not have to worry about smog settings as the result of the battery change.

I'm interested in what becomes the next "go to" battery.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Odyssey

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I believe the highly recommended Die Hards are no longer sold by Sears. I also think if you hook up 12V to the cigarette lighter (ok, Power Point) when you are changing the battery, you can preserve internal settings and not have to worry about smog settings as the result of the battery change.

I'm interested in what becomes the next "go to" battery.

This is what I use to protect the memory on the electronics. Just plug into OBDii connector.

http://cloreinfo.com/solar-esa30-obdii-memory-saver-connector/

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

My FGT is the only vehicle in my small fleet that I don't use one.....yet.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is a cool tool, Easier than the jump pack on the battery leads, that I have done with other cars where there was space.

This is what I use to protect the memory on the electronics. Just plug into OBDii connector.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What type/brand "jump starter" are you using to plug in the non OBDII connector ?

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
:thumbsup

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
A lithium battery may also be worth looking into.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Just bought one, a whopping $13.50 off amazon.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Zach,

Here's the battery I used, Deca AGM 9A35/85. The stock battery posts are very close to the front sheet metal framing. Reversing the battery posts and moving them away from under the framing made it a lot easier to connect the battery and ensure it doesn't ground out on the front metal framing. This battery works great and has the safety benefit of keeping it from arcing against the frame and causing a fire if you have a front end collision.

Picture here. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/29532-Battery-Tribulations?highlight=

Jer

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
If you're in the battery area anyway, you may want to add another ground cable, as I did, to help guard against a loss of adequate ground.

Howard

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
If you're in the battery area anyway, you may want to add another ground cable, as I did, to help guard against a loss of adequate ground.

Howard

I would second this. I lost power at a gas station one night and didn't know what was going on. I had to get a tow home just to figure out bad ground!!!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Here are some photos. I used an existing threaded chassis hole near the battery. I decided to do this after I got stuck, despite having cleaned the chassis ground in accordance with Forum recommendations. No problems since. And, for what it's worth, all my gauges still work.

Howard

Attachments

• FGT Ground Strap 1 (1).JPG
    FGT Ground Strap 1 (1).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 175
  • FGT Ground Strap 1 (2).JPG
    FGT Ground Strap 1 (2).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 176

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Great idea on the xtra ground.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What size bolt to secure the second ground strap ?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I don't remember.

Howard

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I see a number of options keeping the electric system "alive" via the OBD port. Whereas I'm sure this works great - wouldn't just supplying power to the power point (cig lighter port) be easier (thats what I did)....