Repainting the 2005 red ford Gt to heritage wondering if anyone done this and where and how much

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
RICH IS THE MAN!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
To be clear, it is not actually Rich himself who does the painting, but somebody excellent that he subs that part of the job out to... correct? Maybe I am mistaken.

You are correct.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
I would expect he didn’t paint the car himself but im sure he has a good paint guy. I was worried also in taking the car apart and putting it back together properly with the proper gaps and fit. I’m confident that Rich is the guy to do that. I wouldn’t even consider anyone else and if he hadn’t agree to the job I would have left it red. I like the red don’t get me wrong I think it’s beautiful like it is

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
this is a pic the last time

Attachments

• 413EB4CD-EA7E-4EB6-8EF8-C264A5ABC987.jpeg
    413EB4CD-EA7E-4EB6-8EF8-C264A5ABC987.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • C6465342-6F39-4A2F-9B9F-926333C6BD42.jpeg
    C6465342-6F39-4A2F-9B9F-926333C6BD42.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 66715BFA-951C-4409-BFEC-6A306259A65B.jpeg
    66715BFA-951C-4409-BFEC-6A306259A65B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Correct

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
I personally love wrap on cars for two reasons. First you protect the original paint and it gibes you such a stressless feeling when you drive and handle the car a lot like transport, no damage from stones going fast etc. I have all cars done with self healing XPEL clear coating. Absolutely scratch resistant and easy cleaning, no polishing etc takes 30 min for the whole car. They guarantee 10 years and when you sell the car and remove it the paint is brand new. Or the next owner will be extra happy 😁
A color a design wrap can give your car a total new design and you can change it after a few years, paint still brand new.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I would expect he didn’t paint the car himself but im sure he has a good paint guy. I was worried also in taking the car apart and putting it back together properly with the proper gaps and fit. I’m confident that Rich is the guy to do that. I wouldn’t even consider anyone else and if he hadn’t agree to the job I would have left it red. I like the red don’t get me wrong I think it’s beautiful like it is

Can't wait to see it. I'm going to do the Heritage Wrap one of these days!! Update us when its finished with pics.

Speaking of wraps and/or paint, has anyone seen a 05-06 Car in the color of Miles/Hulme 1966 MKII? If so, I'd love to see it...or if any of you guys do great photoshop.

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Hmm, how can you upload a picture here ? The picture button asks http:\\
Using iPhone ...

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
A brief word on terminology... at least in a colloquial sense: While technically paint protection films (PPF) and color wraps are both wraps/films, as a general rule when people are talking about PPF (like Xpel, SunTek, 3M Scotchgard, etc), they say "film". When people are referring to the much thinner, less protective, NON-self-healing, usually colored product, they say "wrap". When done properly, PPF film will NOT change the appearance of your car at all (unless going from a gloss paint to a matte finish using a product like Xpel Stealth), but will give you much more protection than a wrap. If you are wanting to really change the appearance of your car, you can do a wrap much cheaper than a paint job, but realize that it won't protect the finish underneath NEARLY as much as the PPF products.

Reactions: 93extxdps

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Very well described... I have a stealth XPEL film on my matte gray AMG GTR you cannot see the difference but never any scratch on the paint. Especially matte paints are so difficult to take care of and nearly no spot repair possible...

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Is there any risk of damage or staining of the original paint when a film or wrap are removed a few years later? The idea of wrap has always intrigued me but I have an imagined image of a car that would need to be repainted or rewrapped after the first wrap is removed.

Last edited:

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
Can't wait to see it. I'm going to do the Heritage Wrap one of these days!! Update us when its finished with pics.

Speaking of wraps and/or paint, has anyone seen a 05-06 Car in the color of Miles/Hulme 1966 MKII? If so, I'd love to see it...or if any of you guys do great photoshop.
Rich said the car would be finished by the end of February. I was going to have it painted so that you can’t feel the lip of the different colors. Also I was going to paint the black stripe between the orange and blue instead of using the vinyl like on the original 2006 heritage.

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
Rich got the car in today he said it was one of the best Gt he has seen. I was happy to hear that the car is flawless with only minor crease on the driver bolster. It has 3300 miles on it and to be honest I love looking at it even more than driving it because when I’m in the car I cant
Hmm, how can you upload a picture here ? The picture button asks http:\\
Using iPhone ...
There is an attach files in post reply response so I clicked it then used my iPhone library pics and chose one then pressed done and reply and it posted the pics of my car

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Please post pics of the process...Rich will do a wonderful job!

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
I will post pics when I get them from Rich to keep everyone updated. Speaking with Rich today he did not feel it would decrease or increase the value of the car. I feel that the car is more desirable to me and maybe a future buyer. But I’m doing it because I always loved that gulf look.

Last edited:

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Is there any risk of damage or staining of the original paint when a film or wrap are removed a few years later? The idea of wrap has always intrigued me but I have an imagined image of a car that would need to be repainted or rewrapped after the first wrap is removed.
Removing the wrap does not damage the paint, its like removing a sticker. Normally its done with a bit of heat and takes some time, you will find many videos on youtube. I know s lot of guys they wrapped their car several times for the Gumball Rally, no problem.
Btw: I am really too stupid to upload pics, the small button left from the smiley looking like a picture wants some https from me. Not opening any folders to browse my pics. And on the right from the smiley the menu with the small dots says media but thar wants some URL from me ?

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
The thing I would worry about a wrap is the application I have seen cars with lines on the paint from the razor use to trim the wrap. Only to be discovered much later after the wrap was taken off

Reactions: ottawa1967

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
The thing I would worry about a wrap is the application I have seen cars with lines on the paint from the razor use to trim the wrap. Only to be discovered much later after the wrap was taken off
That’s true you must really go to a very professional company. Many of those work with special tools not cutting on the paint.
if it is just PPF film transparent to protect the paint from damage the XPEL I have on my car is pre-cut on a Plotter exactly to the different parts of the car so no cutting on the car.

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
Is that xpel you Used for the ford gt and can I purchase it for my gt

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

The guys at pixelwerks use piano wire and do no damage to your paint. I agree with Mr. Charger, you have to go to a place that does thousands of these.