Repainting the 2005 red ford Gt to heritage wondering if anyone done this and where and how much

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
Has anyone repainted the Ford Gt

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd start with Rich at the GT Guy.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Do what Mark's 300mph car is. Pixelwerks did the Heritage wrap. One of these days I'm sending my car to them for the Heritage wrap just like Mark's car. Pixelwerks in Houston. Way cheaper and you don't mess up the originality of the car. Don't repaint it.

Reactions: canibl

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Do what Mark's 300mph car is. Pixelwerks did the Heritage wrap. One of these days I'm sending my car to them for the Heritage wrap just like Mark's car. Pixelwerks in Houston. Way cheaper and you don't mess up the originality of the car. Don't repaint it.
Is that in lieu of a wrap, or in addition to an xpel wrap? Would be fun to have a “two-fer” and do something different while protecting the car.

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
Really appreciate the reply’s. I have a 2005 red ford Gt. I bought a new one in 2006 but went through a nasty divorce and sold it just rebought the exact car except for the VIN and it’s good to have her home again

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
According to John, the owner of pixelwerks, it will protect the paint somewhat but not like xpel which is a true paint protective film which auto repairs itself, etc.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Very interesting topic.
Couple of questions:
About how much is a wrap like this ?
Can you Xpel the wrap after it is done ? Or is the wrap repairable from rock chips/small dents ?

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
I'd start with Rich at the GT Guy.

I've seen Rich's work - it's pretty amazing what he's capable of doing. I wouldn't let anyone else besides him do a repaint if it were mine.

Reactions: Glen Hurlston

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
You can add ppf on top of the wrap if desired. To me it would be a waste of money to "protect a wrap". They (pixelwerks) can repair the wrap itself. I was talking to one of the employees about the wrap and they said they have occasionally had to repair Mark's wrap after some of these high speed runs.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
About how much is a wrap like this ?
Can you Xpel the wrap after it is done ? Or is the wrap repairable from rock chips/small dents ?

Clear PPF is a "wrap". Colored PPF, also a "wrap", is what I would recommend for your heritage scheme. Really spend time to find the right person. They won't be cheap. My guess for an '05-06 GT in a heritage scheme: $8-10K

Ed

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Clear PPF is a "wrap". Colored PPF, also a "wrap", is what I would recommend for your heritage scheme. Really spend time to find the right person. They won't be cheap. My guess for an '05-06 GT in a heritage scheme: $8-10K

Ed

Clear Suntek wrap for 05-06 GT was 5000.00. With the additional colors and stripes it could be 8-10 as you likely will be buying an entire roll of and orange and or purple to achieve the Look..... good luck.... here’s a question_____. Can you put a wrap on top of EXPEL to change the look of a car every now and then?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I've seen a lot of wraps and some look really fantastic like Carl's car he did in a matte nickel color. I think the what the original question was should he re-paint. It boils down to the particular GT. if it's an original low mileage car that has never been touched then obviously the answer is no. however, should it be a high mileage GT that has a lot of paint issues from driving or if the car isn't original or salvage title, then yes, I say paint it Heritage. no one is ever going to ask you to open the door to look at your data plate to see what the original color was. the Heritage cars always seem to bring a lot more attention these days due to their higher value as well. just don't try to pass it off as a Heritage the day you sell it like what has been done in the past to unknowing buyers that don't so their homework. just sayin. a good repaint especially Heritage scheme will cost $10K+. jmo

Reactions: nautoncall

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Clear Suntek wrap for 05-06 GT was 5000.00. With the additional colors and stripes it could be 8-10 as you likely will be buying an entire roll of and orange and or purple to achieve the Look..... good luck.... here’s a question_____. Can you put a wrap on top of EXPEL to change the look of a car every now and then?
You can but on removal some of the base PPF may lift. Also if the base PPF was not done well then I wouldn't cover it as if it has a problem then so does your cool new wrap.

Ed

Reactions: Iconic GT

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
I've seen Rich's work - it's pretty amazing what he's capable of doing. I wouldn't let anyone else besides him do a repaint if it were mine.

Reactions: Iconic GT

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not a wrap expert but all the local pro's have told me that wraps shouldn't be on a car much longer than 2 years. I don't know how much truth there is to this (obviously they are motivated to take wraps on and off $) but just something to look into/consider.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
M2Ks wrap has been on for years (With repairs). If I did the heritage wrap like theirs it would stay unless it was messed up.

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
The car left yesterday to Rich. I hope it comes out nice

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
The car left yesterday to Rich. I hope it comes out nice
Rest assured, it will most likely turn out better than new. Rich does a great job !

Reactions: Nafod

Glen Hurlston

GT Owner
Nov 5, 2018
I’m hoping for that. He’s the only one I would let repaint it

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
To be clear, it is not actually Rich himself who does the painting, but somebody excellent that he subs that part of the job out to... correct? Maybe I am mistaken.