Registration certificate

ezratigfeld

Jan 9, 2019
Floda, Sweden
Hello Guys!

I don't know if you can answer my question but,

I just bought a 2006 Ford GT from the Israeli customs authority.
They say that they have lost the registration certificate of the car.

However, I have received a receipt with apostille that I am the owner of the car.

So my question is if someone here knows how i can get a US registration certificate of the car.

Thanks alot!

Ezra Tigfeld

SWEDEN

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I have read about this car. Was it impounded years ago because it was brought in as a "Mustang" into Israel?

In US one registers their car in their state of residence.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't know what you are after. When you buy a car here you don't get a "registration certificate." You get a "title" (proof of ownership) that transfers to you and a "bill of sale" that shows you paid for the car. Then you use the title to register the car in your jurisdiction.

Presumably, Israeli customs gave you some proof of ownership? And Sweden is not happy with this?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
You will have to apply for what's called a "title bond" with a bonding company. can be very expensive and not all states will approve it even after you've paid for it. I went thru the same thing with a GT from the UK to title it here. lengthy process. no quick fix

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
You bought the car in or from Israel and you live in Sweden. Why do you want a U.S. registration??

Chip

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
maybe he meant a title document/pink slip?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sounds like a long slow challenging process...

Hope you got a great deal on the car to make it worth it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
In the USA, a new car is sold with an MSO (manufacturers statement of origin), this documenting sent to the registration office of the state you live in with the sales tax payment, and then they send you a "title." This remains as proof of ownership of the vehicle for the life of the car. A car in Israel may not have ever had an American title . Just because the customs office has no registration papers does not mean paperwork does not exist in whatever government entity registers cars in Israel. Does it have license plates, or did customs catch it at the border or dock as it was brought in? Unless you can uncover where the car came from in the USA, or whatever country, it will depend on Swedish customs and government to determine what paperwork is acceptable. You might give a description of the car and the VIN number here on the forum and maybe someone might recognize it.

ezratigfeld

Jan 9, 2019
Floda, Sweden
Okey,

I think a Title is what i need to succeed getting swedish papers for the car.

I don't really know the whole story of the car, but i also heard
what Simon said, that the guy tried to registrate it as a mustang.
There is a video on youtube where the guy drives the car in israel
with california plates.

So i don't think he ever succeded to get Israeli papers for the car.

I got a carfax report,

Vin: 1FAFP90S26Y400665

The car came from California,
it was sold at Manteca Ford Mercury 03/13/2006

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So if it is was in Cali and was the last place in the US, one option might be to research who was the last owner, have them order a duplicate title, and then sign it over to you. LONG shot that you can ascertain who the individual was, and find them willing to jump through that many hoops for you.

Reactions: ezratigfeld

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think Specracer is right on. That is your best first shot.

ezratigfeld

Jan 9, 2019
Floda, Sweden
Is there anyone here who can help me with this, find the owner?
I believe it's easier for an US-born.
Of course you get paid.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I agree this would be the easiest course of action to obtain a title, however, if you did find the last titled owner and asked them to apply for a duplicate, you are also asking them to assume liability for anything the car has been involved in since they sold it. Even if they had a notorized bill of sale from when they sold it in the past, they would not be protected as a seller since they would now be claiming they still own it... That’s a great risk to take.

So if it is was in Cali and was the last place in the US, one option might be to research who was the last owner, have them order a duplicate title, and then sign it over to you. LONG shot that you can ascertain who the individual was, and find them willing to jump through that many hoops for you.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Due to privacy laws it is unlikely you will track down the owner through the state although they may issue some kind of paperwork. With the plate number you should be able to contact the CA Motor Vehicle Department and find out what hoops you're going to have to jump through. I realize it's international calls but it's not likely that using the "contact us" page on the web site is going to get what you need. Also, from other reports of how they handle the registration process for Cobras, I would recommend you start right off talking to a supervisor.

I would also predict that some kind of bond would be required but wouldn't be surprised that the multi-national aspect will add several layers of difficulty.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Agreed 1000%, I did say LONG SHOT.

I agree this would be the easiest course of action to obtain a title, however, if you did find the last titled owner and asked them to apply for a duplicate, you are also asking them to assume liability for anything the car has been involved in since they sold it. Even if they had a notorized bill of sale from when they sold it in the past, they would not be protected as a seller since they would now be claiming they still own it... That’s a great risk to take.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Another possible path, although not easy to take, would be to find a state (or country) that has favorable titling requirements that work to your advantage. You might be able to “sell” your GT, have it titled there, then buy it back with the proper paperwork to be titled in your country. You would also need to ensure your country acknowledges the validity of titles issued from that authority. I say that with the experience of the state of Mississippi, for example, will put a bonded title on just about anything. However, states like Louisiana will not accept a bonded title from Mississippi.
Hope this helps.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Have you Googled the California license plate or the VIN?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There are ways to obtain a replacement or new title in California. You can read about it at www.dmv.ca.gov

Or better yet use my registration service: All Vehicle Registration Services 1-916-739-8088 www.allvehreg.com They helped me with a motorcycle I had imported.

I live only 59 miles from the Ford dealership in Manteca where the car was sold.

Ed

Reactions: ezratigfeld