Reflections after 6 weeks

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
I’ve been fortunate enough to have the new GT for exactly six weeks now, and am reflecting on how great this car really is. Both my kids came home for delivery, and the Ford team spent about 2 hours going thru the features and delivery process. There’s a lot to absorb given all the technology, in spite of having read and re read the owners manual several times in advance! Plus, the time goes fast at delivery -- this thing is just drop dead gorgeous from every angle and you’re distracted by the design details you haven’t noticed before.

I was eager to go back and see the car the next day and met with Greg, who did the custom wrap (he did a fantastic job!), and then had to leave on vacation for 12 days…. By time the wrap was finished and the weather improved, I didn’t get to drive it until mid April, when I posted re my first drive impressions. OMG. My 18 year old son came on that first drive. His summary: Stupid FAST! As I’ve commented, the Engine is really great, and the DCT Tranny is fantastic. But I’m appreciating the capability of the car even more now – those first few miles, you’re more than a little tentative, realizing you have no idea where the limits of this car are and exploring just how to drive a brand new car that's so low, and well different, while trying not to smile all the time. I still don’t know where the limits are, but every experimentation is rewarded with expectations being more than fully met.

People talk about Supercars, and this is the very definition. The craftsmanship and attention to detail are fantastic. CF everywhere; outside, inside, under the skin and the belly pans. Plus the technology! Very few people would have predicted that we’d see this level of tech in a production car in 2017!! This is as close as we’ll get to a true race car that’s civilized on the street.

My main worry remains the number of rubber necks on the street; the amount of attention it gets is embarrassing. You only see some of them when driving because the car’s so low – I picked up my daughter from college at Easter, and needed a follow car for her luggage & boyfriend(!) – my son, driving behind, said the majority of drivers were distracted….

Went to C&C on Saturday, and there was a 488 Spider parked next to a Dino — neither got any attention :)
I haven’t smiled for so long, in a long time. Go Ford!

So, 6 weeks of ownership and 350 miles completed in 3 weeks of driving, whenever the weather has allowed. Looking forward to thousands more, including some laps at UMP in August! Anyone who is fortunate enough to own one of these will also have their expectations exceeded. It's just that good!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you NJS. We will appreciate our waiting periods.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Yes Sir...many thanks. This car has finally made Pikul be serious on a comment. It has that kind of attention. Pikul is certainly right. We all appreciate this wonderful opportunity to own this special car. You have only made the experience better by sharing what you have experienced. Much much appreciated.
Blue skies and tailwinds. See you in Utah!

Mike

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Dr Frank serious? Ha!

Ed

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Half way through break-in period - looks like today will be sunny, stretch to 400 mikes?? ;-))

Thanks for sharing the ownership experience with us.

And you're right, not much attention being paid to the prancing horse products last Saturday!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great write up! June-July delivery can't get here soon enough

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Great write up! June-July delivery can't get here soon enough

Perhaps in another thread, can you share the color(s) you selected?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Perhaps in another thread, can you share the color(s) you selected?

My avatar should give you a hint:facepalm:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
John... is that White ??, Silver ? Stripes ?
andy (ajb)

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
:cheers Great write up Nick! I am glad the car has more than exceeded your expectations. Thank you for choosing me to the purchase your GT from as wall as all your other vehicles over the years! It was very nice of you to take the time and bring it to my dealership to take me for a ride. It was one I will never forget :) I also appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts and impressions here for others to enjoy.

Your friend,

Keith

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
One unanswered question that I have losing sleep over....does the cup holder support a Yeti Rambler 20? :biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
My avatar should give you a hint:facepalm:

Thanks! Seriously dysfunctional here; color blind and selective hearing, and dirt cheap - all attributable to years in the automotive business. :biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
One unanswered question that I have losing sleep over....does the cup holder support a Yeti Rambler 20? :biggrin

Bigger fish to fry. The phone holder in the center console will NOT fit Apple 6+ and 7+ models!! Separate phone device and number for the GT?:lol

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Great impressions Nick. What a privilege ownership of the GT is. Every mile you drive brings great personal joy to you and technology/engineering/design validation to Ford Motor Company. Really brings home Raj's message that we are all Ford Brand Ambassadors. Please keep the posts coming they are extremely informative. See you in Utah.

Vince H

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
That's very soon. Do you experience a child's Xmas approaching deja-vu ?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
So cool, keep the stories coming, pls.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Excellent!
But are really surprised?
Just look how crazy people are over the 06,05 FGT's

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
So cool, keep the stories coming, pls.

Brombear - are you coming to the Rally?

Ed

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Green with envy.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Bigger fish to fry. The phone holder in the center console will NOT fit Apple 6+ and 7+ models!! Separate phone device and number for the GT?:lol

Sound right. Make sure it's on the Do Not Call list. And can't be activated by Siri, Echo or Cortana, etc.

Big Brother may be listening . 8,000 rpm 6th gear on the interstate....would make for an interesting bail hearing.