Rear Wicker

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone know how to remove the rear wicker? Also, once removed can it be re attached?

Thanks.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
CF rear wicker

More important - can we get a rear wicker made of carbon fiber? Hello Kip! Get to work!

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Looks like a press fit to me. GT guys or Kip will know for sure.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Rob Quals, here in Phoenix, made Bony's CF wicker and is looking for others who are interested. It is an overlay of the OEM wicker rather than all CF. However, it is much less expensive. Contact Rob at 602-258-0765 for price and interest.

Aug 25, 2006
I sent yuou and email

Yes it can be removed; there are studs embedded in the wicker as such only a few nuts need to be removed and it can be used over and over.

FYI there is a nut is the center above the license that is awkward at best with the center mesh grill in place

Takes care

Shadowman

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
What's a "wicker"?

MG 42

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2006
Also known as a Gurney Flap. The piece along the top rear edge of clamshell. It provides downforce at speed.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The lip spoiler?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The lip spoiler?

Yup. Or "ducktail".

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
I sent yuou and email

Yes it can be removed; there are studs embedded in the wicker as such only a few nuts need to be removed and it can be used over and over.

FYI there is a nut is the center above the license that is awkward at best with the center mesh grill in place

Takes care

Shadowman

:wink You got that right! If you don't have the stock or FR/Borla muffler, you can get to the screws and remove that center mesh grille then it's not a problem. Take your time and a ratcheting bit driver will be your best friend. :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Why are you removing this wicker/lip/spoiler/ducktail ?

I wouldn't want to drive the GT at speed without it....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, obviously you have not been aware of the CF virus attacking our membership. Currently there is no vaccine. The worst side-effect is emptying of the pockets and stting in the garage drooling. Worst cases are in California and Texas, but East coast has a few new cases. Beware that is doesn't spread to the continent.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Wow, today's 'Fun Facts To Know And Tell'!
Knew the Gurney Flap term. Never knew about a wicker. Not sure why it's not called a spoiler. I guess that term is not sufficiently specific. The degenerate case of wicker :)

Verde

P.S. The CF disease has not yet hit this part of the Bay Area peninsula. But the Porsche alcantara interior replacement bug is rampant :(

Also known as a Gurney Flap. The piece along the top rear edge of clamshell. It provides downforce at speed.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I believe the wicker is just the top edge piece that was added to the ducktail by Ford after wind tunnel testing. I don't think the entire ducktail spoiler is called a "wicker". Please correct me if I am wrong.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
service manual calls it a Rear Spoiler.

I've heard it referred to as the wicker "bill" by many racers.

The aero testing found that 5/8" was the right height to acheive both
200 mph+ and retain the necessary down force.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The Gurney Flap was invented by Dan Gurney in '71 as a quick fix to Bobby Unser's ill handling car before a race. Though, initially, these wickerbills were fixed; they later became quickly interchangeable (slide in a different sized bill and lock into place) during a pit stop to alter the amount of downforce.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Looks (re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap) like it is the whole vertical piece. Not just the black extension over the body colored vertical piece.

I believe the wicker is just the top edge piece that was added to the ducktail by Ford after wind tunnel testing. I don't think the entire ducktail spoiler is called a "wicker". Please correct me if I am wrong.