Rear exit headers thermal expansion

Aug 25, 2006
Bill, thanks for your input. That bend right before the tips is exactly where the contact with the rear screen occurs. Is there any 'fix' for this aside from wrapping that section of the exhaust?

BTW, did you happen to be in Coalinga this past weekend? I thought I saw you or someone that looked exactly like you.

No easy mechanical fix because that exhast elbow comes off the cone muffler. I took one long ago and removed the elbow at the cone muffler and massaged the piece and angles creating enough thermal expansion clearance but it was a job. All others were thermal wrapped.

As for Coalinga; yes I was there Saturday. Which car did you have there?

I understand that Sunday was very windy and one of the GTR's went the hard way at 213 mph, no one was hurt.

Shadowman

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
No easy mechanical fix because that exhast elbow comes off the cone muffler. I took one long ago and removed the elbow at the cone muffler and massaged the piece and angles creating enough thermal expansion clearance but it was a job. All others were thermal wrapped.

As for Coalinga; yes I was there Saturday. Which car did you have there?

I understand that Sunday was very windy and one of the GTR's went the hard way at 213 mph, no one was hurt.

Shadowman

That's what I figured. Looking at the exhaust behind the mufflers, there isn't really much room to play with length. Well, I ran the car hard this weekend and so far, the thermal wrap appears to be protecting the exhaust and the screen.

I had the white/blue stripe GT.

I figured it had to be you. Saw you chatting with some folks at the Brett King tent. Wasn't 100% so I didn't want to go up and ask if you were Shadowman and have you give me the "get away from me, you freak" look:)

As for that GTR......
10270277_780482711970303_1506139123_n.jpg

Fortunately, no one was hurt. Hard to believe though looking at that mess.

Aug 25, 2006
You can do it; just leave the exhaust installed cutting the elbow off at the weld and then a little grinding and a slight angle change will increase the clearance.

If approached as a cool project rather than a must do task the process will go IMO smoothly and the results will make you smile.

I am glad that you had a good time; at the next event please say hello.

As for the GTR, it is always sad to see such happen and yet the fact that the driver got out and walked away is a wonderful thing.

All the best

Shadowman

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The good news here, after pages of comments, is that bonehead's pipes are, apparently, installed correctly.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The good news here, after pages of comments, is that bonehead's pipes are, apparently, installed correctly.

Yes, with Shadowman's comments of "seen this before" and with the pics that were provided showing almost no stretch to the springs that Bonehead can validate against it looks like this is "normal" and that the wrap may, in fact be a good solution. Additionally, with some finesse, that metal mesh pane can be coaxed into some different positions.

Anyone know the cause of the GTR mishap? Tire? Driver error? Aero?