Radio Tools Problem

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
All local dealers are insisting that they do not carry, nor know of (including part number) of the McIntosh radio extraction tools. They insist that "you can just use any radio removal tools."

Can someone tell us of a Ford dealer (or individual) who stocks these parts and a means to contact them.

Thank you in advance,

- doc

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Doc, if my memory serves me right the part number was 415-03.

PM me if your Ford Dealer goes Dumb. After ordering a set of front and rear spoliers/ venturi - they probably don't want to talk to you anymore for a while.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
MAD IN NC

My dealer's phone has been disconnected, and when I call directory assistance, the operator breaks out in laughter.

My wife found the radio tool through Pep Boys who ordered it from its manufacturer. Ford dealers locally were clueless (my own dealer is not local).

Hope to receive the part by the weekend...get the iPOD cable installed in the AUX ports. Frankly tired of listening to the sound of missing pieces. Listening to Ozzy would be nice.

- doc

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The OZ singing Perry Mason over the Macintosh is great :cheers

BTW - hope this wasn't the same dealer working on the front Chin and Rear Diffuser :ack

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Man, eshrink you are one unfortunate dude. Has anything gone right with this GT purchase? Do you have a Lemmon Law in Georgia? Perhaps, getting the car to the GT mechanic you mentioned in the other thread is your only option? SOunds like your dealership is becoming unresponsive.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The tools to pull the radio have arrived. The puller pair are very obvious. Less obvious is the tool to pull the trim pieces. They are all but flush to the McIntosh which, in turn, is all but flush to the sides of the console.

Appreciate anyone explaining how this is done...Cliff Notes version.

Thanks in advance,

- doc

Last edited:

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
eshrink said:
All local dealers are insisting that they do not carry, nor know of (including part number) of the McIntosh radio extraction tools. They insist that "you can just use any radio removal tools."

- doc

My dealer has used the same line. When I provided him with the part numbers the tools are supposedly "on order" but have not arrived. Does any forum member have the tools that he or she no longer needs and wishes to sell or loan to me? Anyone going to the Rally who can bring the tools?
Thanks in Advance
Allan

ksracing71

Jun 16, 2006
The standard radios tools won't work with the GT radios. On the high end radio, you must carefully remove the plastic silver pieces on the sides. There are two clips/tabs holding them on. Becareful, they break easy.... If you go to the rally, talk to the guys who install the radios. They might help clear it up.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
So the Mac has an aux audio input?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Aux Audio Input

Nothing in the owners manual as to function -- what does it do and/or capability if anyone knows?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
In the cable bundle on the rear of the McIntosh are two AUX cables (L & R). In order to get to them, you must pull the radio and then unwrap them from the bundle.

You can then plug a RCA to Mini plug adapter (e.g. iPOD cable from Monster, Belkin, XM, Sirius, etc) and have that new cable exit (as I did) the side of the console, or (better idea) exit so that it come out in the net on the front of the driver's seat.

You can then plug in an iPOD or a satellite radio receiver into that mini-plug:

eShrinkIPOD.jpg

- doc

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
If you could post pictures of the tools and where you got them it would be helpful. After having removed the Mac, Are the special tools really needed?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I do not know if that question was directed towards me, but as stated earlier in the thread, my wife went through Pep Boys to get to the manufacturer of the radio tools. Took a week or so to receive. I have no idea as to whether they worked (have heard that they are not effective for removing the side panels and another GT owner who posts here said that he used an ice pick and curled the tip of it and used that to pull the side panels.

I have heard that the other tool will, indeed, pull the radio, but, again, I would not know since someone stepped in and pulled it for me.

Again, I recommend that the cable be run so that it exits under the driver's seat. The Monster iCable is 7' long and ideal. I did not do it that way, and the concept did not occur to me until mine was already installed.

- doc

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
eShrink, you should be able to re-route your cable easily. Slowly feed it back through the opening on the console and catch it behind the console, like at the top left portion of the fuse panel cover. Finish pulling it all the way back through and then run it along the bottom of the console or under the rubber mat.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
fjpikul:

That is an interesting thought and thank you. Let me take a look at it. I would, if doing it over again, use a different cable.

- doc

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I just got done installing my radar detector, and became intimate with what that all looks like there. My hat is off to Analog with all the fiddling he's done down there. It's tight, but not impossible.