Radar Detector-What's Good?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do the police still use X band radar? In CA, a lot of places have traffic monitors on the freeways using X band. My V1 beeps all of the time. I have reduced the X band alerts to only beep if they are very strong. That still give me too many beeps so I am thinking about turning X band off completely. I that safe to do?

:confused

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Clinton, CHP uses Lidar and Ka band radar. Why would a law abiding man who lives within the rules of man and nature need a detector? :)

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Clinton, CHP uses Lidar and Ka band radar. Why would a law abiding man who lives within the rules of man and nature need a detector? :)

I agree with Bony; however, for those who do not, I recently saw a GT with the current state of the art Bull-Run System: it was the Passport SRX Radar/Laser Defense System with the Blinder M25 X-Treme Laser jammer System. Front and back concealed protection. :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I recently saw a GT with the current state of the art Bull-Run System: it was the Passport SRX Radar/Laser Defense System with the Blinder M25 X-Treme Laser jammer System. Front and back concealed protection. :biggrin

:rofl :eek Full electronic countermeasures deployed :thumbsup:bow

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Do the police still use X band radar? In CA, a lot of places have traffic monitors on the freeways using X band. My V1 beeps all of the time. I have reduced the X band alerts to only beep if they are very strong. That still give me too many beeps so I am thinking about turning X band off completely. I that safe to do?

:confused
Police around here have used X Band, but 90% of the time it's because of a grocery store. V1 all the way over here...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I agree with Bony; however, for those who do not, I recently saw a GT with the current state of the art Bull-Run System: it was the Passport SRX Radar/Laser Defense System with the Blinder M25 X-Treme Laser jammer System. Front and back concealed protection. :biggrin

Why would anyone need this type of gear?
I never violate any laws.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just noticed I do have a similar system on some of my cars,...
Yup, even on the FGT
Only reason is that I am a gear queer. :)

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Just noticed I do have a similar system on some of my cars,...
Yup, even on the FGT
Only reason is that I am a gear queer. :)

I think I mispoke, also. As I recall, the system I saw was not on a GT, rather it was on a GTX1 :biggrin :cheers :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I always strive to stay within the laws of man and nature. With that being said, I find using a radar detector as a safety device that alerts me to the increase in probability that other vehicles may be changing their speed and, or direction. Kind of an early warning of pending brake lights.

:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks, I use my to find grocery stores... you know those automatic door openers set mine off. Very helpful when Mrs. Bony sends me out to run errands.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks, I use my to find grocery stores... you know those automatic door openers set mine off. Very helpful when Mrs. Bony sends me out to run errands.

Bony your Tom Tom is better for that purpose!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
How did you know I call that little guy TOM-TOM?? :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I will turn of my X band completely, unless I travel to more rural area. Too many beeps, beeps, beeps, beeps, beeps, beeps, ...

I would guess that some local sherrifs may use the old X band stuff. I did have much problems with false alarms using the V1 to and from Rally II. It worked great! I was nice to know ahead of time that someone in front of me was going to jam on the brakes.

I like being able configure the V1 to my needs.

:thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I like being able configure the V1 to my needs.

Can you turn of X-Band on the V1? I guess I should read the manual but sense you are here... ? :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Manual

http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/V1_Owners_Manual.pdf

How to Program (turn X-band off)

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

But I was mistaken I have already turned off X now I also may have to turn off K too. I already turned it down to only beep of of 5 leds of more of strength.

I read that K band being used throughout my area to monitor traffic! I hope these post are correct and the CHP don't use K band.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radardevicesdataarticle.cfm

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109360

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I recently took my GT to Mobile to get the half-shaft change, 90 miles away, and drove 100-120 most of the way with my new Bell detector. They loaned me a Taurus, I didn't bother to hook up the detector and guess what?

A 200 dollar ticket 81 in a 65.:ack

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Very helpful, thank you for the link.

+1. Good stuff. Thanks. I think I will get rid of the X band too.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
V1 all the way... but I am with DBK as well on the detectors giving a false sense of security...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't get a false sense of security, but I do get a lot of false reminders.