Race car driving

Hans

Jul 16, 2008
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Im just starting grade 12 now, and am trying to figure out what I want to do after high school. The dream is to be a race car driver, but I have no idea where to start or how to get involved in that scene (especially living in canada). I know many drivers start young in karts which I have not, but I've grown up on a farm my whole life and there hasnt been a summer where I havent been ripping around in the hay field on my make shift course. So I have a few questions. Is there a university that has a reputation for having a great race team? I've tried som googling to little success. Also, how would I get the chance to try racing? Lastly, are racing schools like Bridgestone racing academy a good investment of money and time? Any other ideas that come to mind please say, Thanks

H

HHGT

Find a Race Team owner and sleep with his wife. Seriously though, I had asked myself the same question when I was a young kid long before Al Gore invented the internet. I know someone here will give you some great advice and good luck.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are two ways to get into racing.

1. Have a family name. Any Earnhardt that wants to race will be given the opportunity. I'm guessing you don't qualify for that :)

2. Earn it. Go get yourself a sprint car and start going out on weekends and nights to the local area tracks. If you do well move up a notch. You will probably be able to line up some local sponsors, without them you won't be able to afford it. (See Note 1)

No matter what, you need money. You're going to wreck a car (or someone will help you wreck it). Without money and sponsors who covers repairs so you can continue?

There are no colleges/universities that are in racing. It's a pretty dangerous sport for them to sponsor a team of any kind.

There is immense value in going to the schools. There are a whole bunch of them around. I did a 4 day class at the Bondurant racing school and I learned that I'm not going to be a F1 racer :) I'm considering going back for a two or three day advanced class.

Note 1: Another car to consider is one of the mini Formula cars like the Formula Mazda or Formula Ford. The last day of the 4 day class (and the advanced class) was in Formula Mazdas and let me tell you they are a hoot. There are still circuits that race the Formula cars in competition.

Seriously though - if you can overcome the hurdles I hope to see you on the track on TV some time ! Best of luck in your dream.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Like you, I grew up on a farm in Canada (Ontario) and operated heavy farm equipment from the time I was six or seven years old. I loved driving anything. Five miles from the house where I grew up is a go cart track called Goodwood Kartways, the go-cart track where both Scott Goodyear and Paul Tracy honed their skills. It’s my understanding that they both started driving carts at a very young age. In my opinion attempting to start a racing career at your age would be like starting hockey at 18 with a desire to play in the NHL. This is an impossible goal. My advice to you would be to take a path more similar to the one I choose. Work hard in school, get the best education you possibly can and then buy the cars you want to drive, on the street and on the track, when you’ve earned the financial means to do so. You’re likelihood of success and happiness is much, much higher.
Cheers,

Rob

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Well said Gierkink.

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
I do quite a bit of racing, both in vintage cars and modern cars. I have been to Bondurant several time as well as Skip Barber. Both are excellent schools, and I too learned that I will not be a F1 driver! I also do a lot of karting which I have found has really helped with staying "sharp" on the track, also it is a fraction of the cost and you can rent the equipment if needed! I will say that racing is 49% of the fun and the people you meet andsocialize with is 51% of the fun, so either way you are going to have a good time! (At least it has been that way for us, My wife races also) As others have stated it is very expensive!! As for finding a position check out this website:

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/15/Positions-Employment.html?source=homeCategories

This site has a lot to offer for all your racing needs!

If this is truly what you want, stay focused, and do not get discouraged! NOTHING come easy!!
Best of luck to you!

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Definitely go to one of the top notch schools for driving as others have said Bondurant and Barber fit the bill. As far as college I would look to become an automotive engineer. First its a great career to begin with then second if your hired on by a race team, lots of contacts if your still interested in starting from the bottom. Good Luck!

Hans

Jul 16, 2008
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Thanks everyone, I've had the same thoughts as you Gierkink, still, Im the type of person who will try to get as far as they can at something, even if it means the front door. Also, Any pointers of which college to aply for? I'd love to be an automotive engineer but would hate to be stuck with a lame job when I'm out. What should I be looking for in a college and when I'm done as well?

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
Hans, have you ever considered trying to get in through the back door? What I mean by that is, for someone who hasn't been racing his whole life, you're best bet would be a trade school like UTI to become a mechanic for a race team. If you can get on as a mechanic for a team, then you can work your way into the driver's seat and try to get the driver and/or owner's attention. If you have any skill, a race team would see it and maybe consider bringing on another driver after you've been with them for some time. This can be very strategic for a race team to have more than 1 driver. Being on a team would also give you hands on experience with racing and what it takes to win, from behind the scenes. There also is no downside to getting an education as a mechanic, as opposed to buying a race car and trying to get spotted like thousands of other people just like you. Just my thoughts, this type of strategy works in hundreds of career paths with no greater or lesser chance than the "normal route" to success. At least this way you get paid for being involved in something you love and end up with an education to boot. For someone about to start living life in the real world, my advice to you is, get an education. You are worthless this day and age without an education higher than a high school diploma. Very few people have ever become successful without a higher education. On that note, you can go to school to become a Mechanical Engineer in the States (not sure about Canada's system). Most engineering schools have a junior / senior design project requirement to graduate and a popular choice is the SAE Formula or SAE Baja (2 types of racing). This can be useful along with the MechE degree to get into a race team and work your way into the driver's seat. With this route, if you don't get into a race team, you still have a very good education that will take you places. Driving schools are very useful to teach you how to race, however they most likely will not get you into a race team. Good luck and please let us know what path you decide on for the next 5 to 10 years of your life. I leave you with this quote "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." ~Henry Ford, who failed multiple times to start FoMoCo.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Some good advice given in posts to date. I have heard it said by some very good racing drivers, and team workers that you need three things:
1. skill - you have it or don't and it will open doors
2. money - you need money to get a start. ie you will need money to have a car, entry fees, etc, etc to go racing. If you have the skills, you will attract sponsors. Sponsors are needed to get ahead in racing. Even in F1, some drivers get rides based on the sponsors (money) they can bring to the team, and their skills may not be quite as good as the guy that does not have the $$ to bring to the team.
3. Luck. Not being wrecked or breaking mechanically so you finish and show your skill. Having the right people see you at the right time and taking an interest in you.

I really liked the advice given in prior posts about education. It will serve you well, no matter what. At this years GT Rally I spent some time with the chassis and suspension designer for the Ford GT's development. He told me about his background which included two degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Univ of Wisconsin. He was the captain of the University's racing team, and their team competed with other schools in design, performance, etc. When he graduated he was hired by Ford, and as a young man was involved in a very responsible role with the Ford GT program. He know has his own company which is contracted by Ford to support Rousch Racing, so he is still very active in racing, but not as a driver. He and his wife are both amateur racers and autocrossers.

Just my "dime's" worth.

Good luck.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sadly racing is about $ in one way or another, pretty much from the top to the bottom. Even in formula 1, sure the "B" teams drivers are exceptionally skilled, well beyond most all of us, but why do they have the seat? Because of the sponsor $ they bring to the team. You can see "funded" drivers (sponsorships, or in a round about way personal $) in Nascar, Indycar, NHRA, ALMS, Grand-Am, FIA all of them. Of course there are drivers that have made it on their own, after years and years of effort, but too many ultra ULTRA talented racers have gone by the wayside, because the funding gods did not line up for them.

This is not to discourage you from your dream! Karting is by far the most cost effective. SCCA club racing, is also great, there are several entry level classes that are VERY competitive as well.

Any good racing school, will be worth every penny, to open your eyes as to what it takes to race. They can also be used to obtain a license to get into SCCA club racing.

Racing as stated earlier, will become as much a social event as the racing itself. It is a great sport. Enjoy what ever level you get into!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Go to college, get a degree in mechanical engineering and become the young Mark McGowan or Jamal Hameedi. They get to race/track any Ford they want. University of Illinois is a hotbed for Ford engineers. Make sure you don't car sick (you'd be surprised how many do even tho don't think so).

You could be an astronaut (oops, sorry, you're Canadian - no space program).

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Heres the scoop simply stated .Make a ton of money so you can afford to go racing .Then you get to spend a ton!
Talent is secondary in the racing world.Cash is king!
The most fun you can have in racing is being amateur .Whether club racing or vintage racing
Gerkink gave you great advice…...

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Heres the scoop simply stated .Make a ton of money so you can afford to go racing .Then you get to spend a ton!
Talent is secondary in the racing world.Cash is king!
The most fun you can have in racing is being amateur .Whether club racing or vintage racing
Gerkink gave you great advice…...
Hans - great wisdom from a guy who was one of the first professional skateboarders in the world and who is one of the best ever American amateur Porsche Cup drivers.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...The most fun you can have in racing is being amateur. Whether club racing or vintage racing....

This is probably the likeliest and easiest way to enter and climb the racing ladder (unless you were born with a silver spoon). Either way will require a considerable investment in both time and money, but will get you active and noticed. Once there, you can continually improve by using the racing schools (Bondurant, Barber, Russell, etc.), and it would also be best to go to a school before you start out As you improve, you'll be noticed by the more-funded teams, and perhaps be offered a ride in one of their cars, possibly as an alternate driver, and later in an endurance event as a team member for a 2nd car entry. Stay positive in your thinking and approach, and let the events happen without pushing then too hard. Time is on your side.

It would also help to befriend a person whom you admire as a driver - chat with him/her, and get to know them. Help them in their daily activities in life and have some fun with them. Be sincere! It will provide you with some of the best memories that will stay with you forever!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
This is probably the likeliest and easiest way to enter and climb the racing ladder (unless you were born with a silver spoon). Either way will require a considerable investment in both time and money, but will get you active and noticed. Once there, you can continually improve by using the racing schools (Bondurant, Barber, Russell, etc.), and it would also be best to go to a school before you start out As you improve, you'll be noticed by the more-funded teams, and perhaps be offered a ride in one of their cars, possibly as an alternate driver, and later in an endurance event as a team member for a 2nd car entry. Stay positive in your thinking and approach, and let the events happen without pushing then too hard. Time is on your side.

It would also help to befriend a person whom you admire as a driver - chat with him/her, and get to know them. Help them in their daily activities in life and have some fun with them. Be sincere! It will provide you with some of the best memories that will stay with you forever!
I think Ralph is available ! He is always looking for a new friend!I’m glad he is my friend!