Questions to GTB and GTX1 Owners

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
I am undecided about adding the GTB doors or go for the GTX1 conversion! Someone made the comment that the GTB doors will add weight; how much weight and is it really significant to the performance? What if HP is added will it compensate for the added weight?

Now, in regards to the GTX1, I understand it comes with the soft top ( a hard top is on the way for about $10K :eek) is the soft top easy to install? Is it wind/rain tight? How noisy is the interior let's say during a 4 hrs drive?
Have you guys experienced any rattles, vibration, etc. after the conversion? Is performance affected? Also, with the soft top "on", how is visibility from the rear plastic window? It seems to me visibility will be affected (worse of what it is before the conversion). Basically, what are the cons for the conversion?

Any of ur comments will be appreciated; I know some of you own one of each; I am confused :willy and need ur HONEST input on each concern! Thank you guys!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am not an owner of a GTX1, but to me there are only two reasons for the GTB doors, one to be able to get in and out of the car easier in situations that where you cannot fully open the doors, two is you like the looks.

Reason 1 goes away with the GTX1.

Aug 25, 2006
I am undecided about adding the GTB doors or go for the GTX1 conversion! Someone made the comment that the GTB doors will add weight; how much weight and is it really significant to the performance? What if HP is added will it compensate for the added weight?

Now, in regards to the GTX1, I understand it comes with the soft top ( a hard top is on the way for about $10K :eek) is the soft top easy to install? Is it wind/rain tight? How noisy is the interior let's say during a 4 hrs drive?
Have you guys experienced any rattles, vibration, etc. after the conversion? Is performance affected? Also, with the soft top "on", how is visibility from the rear plastic window? It seems to me visibility will be affected (worse of what it is before the conversion). Basically, what are the cons for the conversion?

Any of ur comments will be appreciated; I know some of you own one of each; I am confused :willy and need ur HONEST input on each concern! Thank you guys!

To the GTX-1 I cannot speak because I have only looked at the gals and since I am not a roadster or top down person the personal draw to me for this style of gal is slim even though I think that the gals look VERY cool; however to the GTB door system I can speak.

Yes; there is some additional weight once the conversion has been completed. I cannot tell you exactly how much (it is not a lot) because there are bits and pieces removed while at the same time others are added. Now if you are asking from a performance standpoint; meaning how the additional weight will affect her; I would say NADA.

When you consider the gal in OEM trim and the fact that from one gal to another one can find a HP differential of let's say 50 HP this power differential alone is greater than any measurable difference potentially caused as the result of the additional weight. Then add to this exercise the fact that one of the more common tweaks completed on the gals is a smaller pulley and a tune at which point the addition of these items alone will offset any (on paper loss) as the result of the addition weight many times over. I say paper on paper loss because one will never notice a performance difference once the GTB door system is installed. Furthermore; if you are driving your gal in a spirited manner with a full tank of fuel versus a 1/2 tank of fuel do you notice the difference in performance? For most of us the answer is no as such I share that the additional weight is less than this differential.

Now why do folks have them installed or better put what draws people to the GTB door system, IMO the GTX-1, or for that matter the GT in general; it has to be the way it and or they make us feel. This process precedes any driving experience and then once some seat time is spent in any of these configurations another level of emotions comes into play as well.

I have openly shared that I was drawn to the GTB door system when I first saw the pictures of the cast pieces I liked what I saw and then when I saw the video of the GTB door system in operation I was drawn in and never looked back.

For me I was drawn to the way they look, how they changes the character of the gal, and the fricken mechanics of them; simply very cool. The fact that they make it easier to get in and out of the gal was a secondary benefit for me and not the primary and yet having shared this; the more I drive my gal (which seems like every day lately) the more I like this feature too.

All the best on your journey

Shadowman

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
A few GTX1 owners have B-doors and several others are considering them because, except for the absence of the roof overhang, the doors on the X1 are the same as the GT, and they need to be opened relatively wide for easy access and exit, although it's nice not having to worry about hitting your head or having to crawl in or out.

IMO, if you are a roadster/convertible person, there are no negatives to the conversion. The only negative to the GTX1 is that it is not reversible, but I doubt if anyone who has had the conversion would ever want to reverse it.

The achilles heel of the GTX1 has been the tops; however, the production version of both the soft top and hard top are finally being installed. The production hard top was tested at 160 mph without any problems. Several hard tops were installed at the Rally. I believe only a few soft tops have been installed, and apparently they're water-tight. Genaddi makes the initial installation of both tops, after which it is a straightforward process for the owner. I haven't received either of the tops for my car, but for me it's a fair weather car. The windshield wipers have been removed and I don't drive if the weather is threatening, and that's the way it will be after I receive the tops.

There are many positives to the X1. The majority of X1 owners do not have a 2nd GT, however one person has 2 GTX1's and few others of us are considering a 2nd one. It's a limited edition work of art, and the workmanship is excellent. It weighs less than the GT, but has at least as much structural rigidity, and drives as tight, stable and firm as the GT, and provides a safe and secure feeling. There are no squeeks, rattles or vibrations. There is very little wind noise or buffeting inside the car at speed. It has better rear visibility. There is no perceptible difference in performance but the aerodynamics may limit the top speed to something less than 205. However, the X1 feels faster than the GT because the senses are more stimulated with no top. Driving the X1 is fun and exhilarating. To me it's like driving a civilized 427 Cobra. The GTX1 is a rock star.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Great write ups by the owners of the two options. GT4JR - not sure if that makes your choice easier, as both sound great!

Are there more installment options for the GTB doors? As I understand it, the GTX-1 conversion are all performed at the Gennadi facility.

Is there a network of certified installer/dealers for the GTB doors? What is the pricing on parts and labor for the doors, and is anyone certified in Southern California to install?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Is there a network of certified installer/dealers for the GTB doors? What is the pricing on parts and labor for the doors, and is anyone certified in Southern California to install?

At Rally II, the Gennadi folks said that they would be coming around to different parts of the country doing installs of the doors and other items. I haven't heard about a schedule as of yet.

That being said, you might inquire with Shadowman as to what other arrangements may be made.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SHADOWMAN is your source for excellent craftsmanship if you want the GTB doors.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I spent a couple days driving a GTX1. It's a GT turned up to 11. No difference in performance, except everything is louder, seems faster, and sunnier...honestly, it was way better to drive than either Camilo or I expected. Not too mention headroom issues are gone and you feel slightly more rock star in it. I'm not huge into convertibles, but after a couple days we were both very impressed.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
GT4JR, I own one of each. The X1 is the preferred street ride for the reasons DBK stated. Other than the roadster conversion it is bone stock. I'm still waiting, after nearly two years, for the roof system from Genaddi. They had my car for 9 months and not the 6 weeks they quoted. I'm not sure if that situation has improved.

The "standard" GT was purchased with the intention of converting it into a track/race car but we're having problems fitting me into it safely with a helmut let alone a cage. I'm 6'4".

Rear and side visibility suck with the GT but is MUCH improved with the X1 to the point where we're considering chopping the top of the second car and making it a race car.

My shop is just down the road from you in Costa Mesa. You're welcome to come by and take the X1 for a spin.

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
thank you for ur feedback guys!

Kjslider, thank you for the offer; I will PM u to schedule a visit to ur shop.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^:thumbsup