question about kick panel

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
driving around today I drove over a steep driveway and banged the underside of the car near the rear of the passenger door. Stopped to look at it and the panel has a small outward bump that is noticable. I looked at the panel and it seems to be plastic which means some metal underneather probably dented a little and pushed out causing the outward bump. Hopefully I can take the kick panel off and bang the metal down and fix the bump.

My question is is this panel (directly below the door between the wheels) plastic?

I will be able to take a closer look a little later when at home but though one of you guys might know the answer.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mine is wavy with out any impact when you look VERY closely

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Yes it is plastic. Many of them are wavy. More so noticable on the WHITE cars. I bet that it was already there and you are just now noticing it.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yes it is plastic. Many of them are wavy. More so noticable on the WHITE cars. I bet that it was already there and you are just now noticing it.

+ 1

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
what Shelby said is spot on...

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

just looked at pic from dealer.....the hump is there. see pic below juuuuust before the line where the clear rock chip film is directly below the scoop on the lower panel. It looks like it has 2 outward humps.

Shelby called it (thanks)

Ford_GT_1.jpg

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
DING DING DING! WINNA WINNA CHICKEN DINNA! Where is my treat! :biggrin
Now, quit bottoming that thing out. You are gonna scratch up all the pretty belly pans. Drive carefully as these gals are low to the ground. Front spoiler can be replaced for $150. Rear fins are $1800 :eek

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
good to know on the fronts!

I am gonna drive the wheels off mine.

I figure a rear set of tires at 3000 miles, fronts will last 15k. No track time

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Front Spoiler....$150
Rear tires..... $600
Rear Fins....$1800

Enjoyment you get from driving a FORD GT...... PRICELESS :thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I was talking about the front plastic spoiler that so many people scrape on driveways and curbs. But be careful as those rear fins are fiberglass and break if you sneeze on them :biggrin. No, but really they are VERY fragile....

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
That "bump" is the coolant hoses and others snaking from the engine compartment to the front. It is a tight squeeze and many cars have the same lump as the hoses may not have been tucked in tightly.

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
I had that "bump" and had my dealer look into fixing it. Same side, same location even.

They fixed it under warranty. Even mentioned there was a TSB for the issue but on the driver's side panel. As far as I know, they didn't have to repaint the panel.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I am gonna drive the wheels off mine.

I figure a rear set of tires at 3000 miles, fronts will last 15k. No track time

YAAAAAHHHH Another animal

Cant wait till ya get the TT or Whipple! :thumbsup

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Rear diffuser

Remember guys, the rear diffuser (fins) are available from our friends at Stillen for alot less money and they should give more downforce.:biggrin They are flexible so they won't break the way the factory ones do. Note: You will need a big ass pop rivet gun to put it on but, other than that, it is not difficult. Kyle might even loan you one when he sends the diffuser out.:cheers

Big Dog

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I you are going to install the Stillens diffuser, save your grip and buy a pneumatic riveter.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Remember guys, the rear diffuser (fins) are available from our friends at Stillen for alot less money and they should give more downforce.:biggrin They are flexible so they won't break the way the factory ones do. Note: You will need a big ass pop rivet gun to put it on but, other than that, it is not difficult. Kyle might even loan you one when he sends the diffuser out.:cheers

Big Dog

Jim, have you got the Stillen diffusers on your car? PM sent.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I you are going to install the Stillens diffuser, save your grip and buy a pneumatic riveter.

from experience? BlackIce - You are scaring me! are you living up to your name?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Diffusers

I have both the Stillen front splitter and the rear diffuser on the car. I can't say for sure if they add much to the down force but the car is solid as a rock at 200+.:banana

Jim

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
from experience? BlackIce - You are scaring me! are you living up to your name?

No experience with diffuser, but I did install some solar panels for my pool that need some 1/8" stainless rivets installed. I did it with a hand tool, PITA! I got a pneumatic tool now for the next time. I already have a compressor and they don't cost too much.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ice is going green, suppose you got some great tax credits and your offsetting your carbon footprint?