Best,
Mark

Reactions: DakotaGT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
do you have to remove the clamshell to install x pipe and borla exhaust?
There have been a lotta posts about that over the years, some on both sides. Apparently it can be done with the clam shell on, but you gotta be extremely careful, it's very tight, and the OEM muffler is pretty damn heavy. I'd blue tape everything in sight and lay towels / blankets. For me that'd be easier than trying tor re-align the clam shell. Easier still for me was to have Rich Brooks do it :)

Reactions: RPM217 and DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
that install looks sick

Thanks!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
There have been a lotta posts about that over the years, some on both sides. Apparently it can be done with the clam shell on, but you gotta be extremely careful, it's very tight, and the OEM muffler is pretty damn heavy. Id blue tape everything in sight and lay towels / blankets. For me that'd be easier than trying tor e-align the clam shell. Easier still for me was to have Rich Brooks do it :)

Right on! When I first removed the factory suitcase muffler, I started to do it without removing the clamshell, and quickly concluded that (while it COULD be done) it would be far easier to just remove the clamshell. It's just two dowel pins and a small electrical connector. Also, if your clamshell was aligned correctly before, it shouldn't change, since what you adjust for "clamshell alignment" isn't actually the clamshell, but the rear fascia that meets up to it.

Reactions: extrap

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
great info,thankyou everyone

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
Pulley and proper tune best bang for the buck IMHO.
It does typically start the slippery slope of mods.
Where (geographically) are you based? If west coast, might want someone like Kendall to go through your new purchase!
I am in Duluth MN. Sort of the back of beyond for car enthusiasts (we have snow on the roads 5 months of the year, minimum) on the other hand, global warming...

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
do you have to remove the clamshell to install x pipe and borla exhaust?
I did mine by-my-self with the clamshell on. I placed double harbor freight moving blankets on everything. I carefully considered removing the clamshell. Two issues, takes at least two people. And having anything stored on the floor risks damage. If i was to have a second person over to remove the clamshell, I would have just have them help remove the muffler.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'd recommend leaving the clamshell on. Use towels/blankets to protect things. By far the hardest part is lifting the OEM exhaust out of there. We have one person on each side of the car helping to lift and then when you get to the point that it is mostly out, the person on the passenger side can run around and help lift it out of the driver's side of the car. The black perforated screens - especially the small one between the frame horns needs to be removed first. This will allow the tips to rotate so it can be lifted out. As others have mentioned, it's not that difficult to get the clamshell off and you would ONLY do this by removing the pins which means you can't screw up alignment when putting it back on. It is, however a little tricky to get back on - especially if your first time. That pin hinge likes to be slid in front to back and downward simultaneously. Easier after you've done it a couple of times. Also, you gotta find a safe place to put the clamshell when its off..... that's one of the reasons we'd just as soon leave them on.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Listen to these guys above. I changed my exhaust for the 1st time circa 2006, and followed the directions (Ford / Borla), that said to pull the clam shell. An unnecessary extra step in hindsight.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Three people (one of which was Rich Brooks-GTGuys) did my exhaust by removing clamshell. With one guy lifting/holding on each side and Rich directing and installing the pins...it was straight-forward.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would imagine a shop that specializes in FGT would have a custom rack to store a clamshell without getting damaged.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
2 minutes of painters tape and a heavy moving blanket on the floor to set it on. Not difficult. Unless you are by yourself.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You don’t “have to,” but I’m sure glad I did when I installed the Borla/Ford Racing muffler. It makes the job much easier. It’s easy to remove but takes at least two people, preferably three—two to handle the clamshell and one to remove the hinge pins and disconnect the struts.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2 minutes of painters tape and a heavy moving blanket on the floor to set it on. Not difficult. Unless you are by yourself.

I just have bad luck I guess.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I just have bad luck I guess.

Uh oh... sorry to hear. Any process can go wrong; I know as well as anyone.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Uh oh... sorry to hear. Any process can go wrong; I know as well as anyone.

So true. No matter which way you do it.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Not sure what "cold air" system you have, but it is good that you like the design because in function it's quite possible to be inferior to the OEM set-up.
I picked up something like 50 RWHP with an intake. Different days on the dyno, so not exactly comparable, but there is most likely something there in terms of additional power to find. That being said I went back to the stock intake almost immediately due to drivability issues.