Pulley but no tune?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I saw a car advertised that had A pulley change but the car does not have a tuner.
Question is,...they don't know if it has an aftermarket tune.
I know the pulley and tune is "textbook" but can the pulley be done without changing the tune?
Car runs fine. Allegedly.

Thnx

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
It almost certainly has a tune...if not would have audible detonation in upper rpm under boost/load

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My car came with pulley/tune, but no tuner. I had it dynoed on 91 octane to verify the tune was good. Cheap insurance. You don't always hear pinging/detonation.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
How did you resolve not having a tuner going forward? If the car threw a light on the dash or something like that.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I suppose if I ever need it, I'll just have Torrie do another tune. But, I am very pleased with the tune. The only CEL I ever had was after installing long tube headers. It came on every few tanks of gas for three iterations. I simply cleared the code. It hasn't come on again in several thousand miles.

17k miles in 2 1/2 years. 16 psi boost. No issues.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Many Mustang and Ford GT owners would typically have a shop install the pulley and do the tune. The tuner itself is an additional expense - a nice to have, admittedly, but I suspect there are quite a few cars around without a tuner device.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Your dealer should be able to tell if the program has been changed. Assuming a system check shows all systems ready and if not if you don't have emissions you should be OK. It might be easier just to start over.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
It never occurred to me somebody might not pay up to buy the tuner,..go figure.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Of course, if you want to have several tunes in the can for various octanes and fuel types, you need the tuner. I remember a guy at Rally 8 installing a 91 octane tune when his car was unloaded in California vs. the 93 tune he ran at home.

We have 93 here in FL, but I like the safety factor of a 91 tune, and I have no desire to run anything other than pump gas. My tuner, if I had one, would get no use.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
:facepalm:

Good1.
Certainly wasn't expecting that but we'll use it at dinner tonight.
......Although I think I'm having Bronzino.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My GT came with the smallest KB pulley - and a tune (but was not sure what the tune was).

I melted 2 spark plugs with 93 octane fuel. Best guess is was tuned for something much higher than 93. Torrie subsequently tuned it correctly for 93 and its been running great since.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I had the Ford racing pulley and tune done by a reputable shop and dynoed as well. I did not plug in the tuner but are there different settings for different mods (like their exhaust) and octane? some of the other aftermarket tuners such as Cobb have these options.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Only from Frank��
Andy (ajb

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Maybe your light bulb is out......, couldn't resist :)

I suppose if I ever need it, I'll just have Torrie do another tune. But, I am very pleased with the tune. The only CEL I ever had was after installing long tube headers. It came on every few tanks of gas for three iterations. I simply cleared the code. It hasn't come on again in several thousand miles.

17k miles in 2 1/2 years. 16 psi boost. No issues.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Maybe your light bulb is out......, couldn't resist :)

Yeah, it's funny. Ralphie says he extinguished his CEL for O2 with a dose of leaded gas. I think it just goes away when it realizes you don't give a shit.

CEL still works. OTOH, I wish my blue high beam light would burn out. Anyone else notice how bright that is? Very annoying.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Roush used to supply a pulley upgrade kit for the GT with a belt change but no tune. We fitted a bunch of these back in 2007/8
It was only slightly smaller than stock but didn't need a tune (and Roush should know as they developed the stock tune)
You can still see the details here: http://www.roushperformance.com/blo...lley-kit-speeds-up-an-already-quick-supercar/

I'm not sure when they stopped production but it was some time ago.

Dave

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yeah, it's funny. Ralphie says he extinguished his CEL for O2 with a dose of leaded gas. I think it just goes away when it realizes you don't give a shit.

CEL still works. OTOH, I wish my blue high beam light would burn out. Anyone else notice how bright that is? Very annoying.

Stop driving at night..blue light problem will only occur at Kmart then.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

REO Speedwagon! 1978, my senior yr in high school.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have a GTGuy pulley and tune on my GT. Have the SCT so I can switch from 93 to 91 as needed. Stock tune is also on the tuner. The peculiar thing about the custom (15 psi boost) tune is that the boost gauge in the dash reads full negative off throttle and 0 at full throttle. The boost reading is inferred and the new tune doesn't calculate it the same. Just annoying not being able to see the needle at 15 psi at WOT. The other interesting thing is the cat sensors are I guess "off" with the custom tune. First time I tried to get the car emissions tested, it threw a code on the testing equipment, no CEL though. I went home and loaded the stock tune and installed the stock MAF sensor. Drove the car 50 miles, going easy on it since it was running a 15 lb. pulley but a stock tune. Took it in to get emissions and it passed fine. Then reloaded the custom tune. Anyway, I have to do this every year around testing time. Bit of a PITA.