Problems with Standard Wheel Hub Caps

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
The hub cap centers are peeling off on my car. One of the spinners is actually rusting. Is Ford aware of this problem or is my car uniquely afflicted ?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
First I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty of wheels with 15-40k miles.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There is some deterioration on the center hubs (those being the ones with the GT logo) on mine too. I've not spent much time looking at them to give you much more detail but they look 'white' around the edge, as if they're peeling a little from underneath - almost as if water got in there somehow.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have had 2 sets replaced on my car under warranty for this reason. Pics to follow

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Pic

Attachments

• Picture 1020.jpg
    Picture 1020.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 140

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I have had 2 sets replaced on my car under warranty for this reason. Pics to follow

Appears to be a failure of the clearcoat from the edges in. Bad preparation of the part prior to spraying or a bad batch of clear are the likely causes. I've also seen posts regarding a similar failure of the coating on the FGT logo disc in the center of the steering wheel airbag. If this is a chronic defect that only appears over time, it will get expensive once the warranties run out.

One question, have you sprayed any of the commercial "wheel cleaners" on your wheels? Some of these are very corrosive and might contribute to a failure of the clearcoat.

usmcfred

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Never. I have always used soap and water.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Never. I have always used soap and water.

Thanks Torrie...

My experience is IDENTICAL. Those photos could be my wheels - like you, I have only ever used warm water and a sponge to clean my wheels and don't use a jet wash either.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Torrie...

My experience is IDENTICAL. Those photos could be my wheels - like you, I have only ever used warm water and a sponge to clean my wheels and don't use a jet wash either.

No problem I knew I wasn't the only one.