Pricing in next 5 years?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I remember people saying 05/06 GTs would be $500k imminently...in 2014. It sucks because I actually have a buddy who paid the highest price I’ve ever seen anyone pay for a GT based on the word of one such notorious bullshit artist and he got absolutely drilled when he subsequently unloaded the car.

People largely see what they want to see when it comes to the value of cars.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Go ride/drive one. 30 minutes in the car will change your view and the answer will be clear. Plus, the fun you will have in and with that car will exceed its value appreciation.

What year did you graduate?

Gig'em

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I remember people saying 05/06 GTs would be $500k imminently...in 2014. It sucks because I actually have a buddy who paid the highest price I’ve ever seen anyone pay for a GT based on the word of one such notorious bullshit artist and he got absolutely drilled when he subsequently unloaded the car.

People largely see what they want to see when it comes to the value of cars.
There ya go..........."when he subsequently unloaded the car". It doesn't sound like your bud was in love with the car like the rest of us dorks are. :)

QSS

Reactions: steved57 and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Let’s figure out the appreciation of an FGT versus the S&P index:
Let’s say you bought it at $160K, and let’s say it has doubled to $320K. That would be for a car that has only a few hundred miles. Your annual compounded return would be right about 5%. Then subtract any registration fees, taxes, insurance, maintenance and other misc costs.

If you bought the Vanguard S&P 500, you would average 9-10-%, minus less than 0.3% Vanguard fee, and have no insurance, maintenance, etc.

Leaving market timing out of the analysis, you would have done better than twice as well with the S&P. And you would not have had any fun driving the car.

Now, if you drive your car regularly, you would have received the pleasure of using the car, but then it might only be worth $260,000 today. To me, that’s a fair trade.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
:love:

Reactions: ByeEnzo

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
If you add in 40 percent capital gains coming ........plus the green objective ....plus California ban on gasoline cars in only 14 years .....BUY it, drive it and move on to the electric car in 5 years.
You really wont have a choice.....
Enjoy the ride.
GTJOEY1314

Reactions: analogdesigner

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
I say go for it! Got mine in early October with 1048 miles... put it away Saturday with over 2500 miles.

Given my perfectly unblemished record of losing money on every car, boat and home that I've ever owned, I didn't even think of buying it for the investment value.

Getting it initially on the road stung a little bit; transportation, sales tax (ouch!!!), new tires... and a new 4 post lift on the way.

Dan

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I say go for it! Got mine in early October with 1048 miles... put it away Saturday with over 2500 miles.

Given my perfectly unblemished record of losing money on every car, boat and home that I've ever owned, I didn't even think of buying it for the investment value.

Getting it initially on the road stung a little bit; transportation, sales tax (ouch!!!), new tires... and a new 4 post lift on the way.

Dan

Right there with you pardner.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
as Joey said many of us are 15 years older than the day we bought our GT's. Personally not aware of anyone buying a GT as an investment grade purchase. There are some that did, but not too many.

I suggest you buy now, don't worry about future values, and drive it far and often.

One more suggestion, at the end of the first year, divide the miles driven into your purchase price to determine the cost of smiles per mile. My year one was something like $7.50 per mile. My year 15 smiles/mile is down quite bit and now it's $1.17 per smile.

Personal Goal is to get below $1.

Reactions: 2112 and RPM217

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There ya go..........."when he subsequently unloaded the car". It doesn't sound like your bud was in love with the car like the rest of us dorks are. :)

QSS

Has multiple other GTs to drive. Oh, and sorry, looking back the notorious bullshit artist who constantly pumped the value on the 05/06 said it would be $600k+, not $500k.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Back to the topic at hand, there's no real reason to wait. The cars have stayed in a very reasonable range for a sustained period of time and there's a ton of cars out there with miles that make them a much more reasonable buy. There is no real reason to buy an 05/06 with ultra low miles unless you're specifically searching for something as close to that new car smell as possible. Buy a car with 10,000 miles. It's pretty much new, and it's still going to last longer than you are.

There are still very reasonable deals out there. ~$250k for sub-10k miles on a very desirable no stripe black car this weekend. That's basically a brand new car. If it were sold in a different venue, I would have bought this thing.

IMG_0082.jpg

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The guy who sold me my 207-mile '05 on 7/29/20 bought it for investment purposes. Said he knew Carroll Shelby and Shelby told him he should buy one because they're going to go up in value. So he did and it sat in his garage with the cover on for over a decade. It worked great as far as preservation, and he apparently made good money on it, but where's the fun?

And, as I stated earlier, he probably shouldn't have listened to Shelby because the $ in an index fund would've done better, and been more liquid. Although this way he borrowed money to invest, whereas I don't think many borrow money to put into an index fund 🤔 (margin) so maybe it worked out pretty well. Guess it all depends on your goals.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
It is hard to predict the future and demand for collector automobiles. Will the next generation value cars as we have? What will the trend toward electric do to value of gas engines, etc.
But agree that all our time is short and if you have wanted this car, get it and enjoy it.
Highest probability (IMO) is that you will not lose money, will likely make a little and get LOTS of enjoyment!

Reactions: extrap

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Interesting discussion.
Does any buyer really care about how many miles are on an original Cobra?
Our cars have 4 tires and an engine, drive them, or put them in your living room as an art piece.
I respect the guys who drive their cars, even you RPM!
For me, its like the guys who take their very expensive shotguns out in the rain to shoot sporting clays.
Just my interpretation.
Best To All,
Mark
Thanks for the nod Mark. Remember, all of you driving these cars, all of them have my initials on them, which mean every car in your collection, should be made available to me, at my convenience to drive and enjoy. The more RPM gets to drive them, and see the RPMs go towards the red.....................the better for the cars, me, and the driving public. Go drive, wear a mask, outside of the car, and stay safe!!!
Happy Thanksgiving to all, all that have and drive their GTs, have much to be thankful for!!!!
You too Mark!!!

Reactions: steved57

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
It seems for now future is electric. California and Europe already setting dates. Enough petrol burners to be around for next 30 yrs anyway and would hope gas to be available.
I look at it similar to watches, you can buy a timex which keeps perfect time or you can buy an automatic hand built which may not keep perfect time but appreciate the mechanism and beauty!
Our GTs, new or old, are beautiful fine mechanisms which make incredible sounds! I have not seen a good looking electric car ( most look like frogs!) and no harmonics! Though they may be quick.
Only hope parts and repairs will continue to be available ! With NFGT, hoping MM will be there for us once production and warranties are up!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I wish I was better at predicting the future. It seems like if the environmentalists get their way, our beloved GTs and all other fossil fuel powered vehicles will be sitting in fields rusting away in X number of years. Will that X ever really happen? And if so, X = __? If X = 40+ years, then I don't care ;)

One alternative is that environmentalists realize electric vehicles do actually result in emissions being produced, during the creation phase, the charging phase and the disposal/recycle phase, and hey maybe gasoline power isn't so bad after all .. and our GTs etc remain viable 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
May be repeating others, but had throw in my 2 cents.
I read this thread yesterday morning, and then went out Sunday and put 180 miles on my 2006.
As I was driving, I became envious of the forum members that do NOT have to worry about if this is the last drive of the season.
I have had many collector cars over the years, lost some money, made some money.
When I bought the GT, I wasn't even thinking about it, always figured my car hobby was entertainment, and therefore an expense.
Based on previous driven and enjoyed collector cars, I feel if I am lucky enough to break even in the end, and get to enjoy days driving in the country like yesterday, I'm doing good!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I would look at this purchase like a vacation. It only makes sense if you want to take the trip.

I would not over think it and I hope you are able to enjoy the process.

Best of luck

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mine does.

Incredible. So Two forum members have Miura in the same green?

Reactions: DakotaGT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No they don't