Pre Purchase Inspection

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Can anyone tell me what specific items to look out for in a pre-purchase inspection? The tach I know about but what other things are common problems I need to look for or don't know about? The car has 500 miles 2005

Thank You

Aug 25, 2006
This is a loaded question; IMO

Items such as the tach either work or not as such a mechanical system’s check needs to be completed; this is akin to kicking the tires.

The greater concern is her history; sadly far too many of these gals had a "very" hard life in the beginning as such 500 miles does not mean that she is a "rose"

IMO she needs to be racked and the under body panels removed, wheels and "inner" fender liners removed, and if all questions are not "perfectly" answered I then remove the inner leather door panels.

In the end how thoroughly she is inspected will depend on how much you are will to invest in the process as a thorough inspect properly completed (physically and not simply a signed PPI document) is a "many" hour process.

Takes care

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
This is a loaded question; IMO

IMO too! :wink

Do yourself a big favor and have someone intimately familiar with the GT do an inspection.

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Not a loaded question of any kind in fact very sincere and I wasn't looking for sarcasm, just any pointers anyone was willing to share. All cars have inherent idiosyncrasies and I was hoping some of you would have a suggestion or two as to what I might look for. I don’t want to post why I need the information pretty quick but will do so after the car is loaded in the trailer. As far as someone intimately familiar with the GT's I haven't been able to find anyone in the NY area, they didn’t make these like Mustangs.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am in NYC.

I would do a search on the site in Tech section, under sticky for new owners; there is a lot of PPI stuff.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

I would get the VIN and have a dealer here run a OASIS Ford service history/warranty history.

You just want to be sure someone qualified can look at it; its a big purchase and its worth the investment.

re; Sacrcasm on fridays we get a bit wooly before happy-hour

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The list of things to check is very long, and the risks high if someone unfamiliar with these cars looks it over. Good luck.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not a loaded question of any kind in fact very sincere and I wasn't looking for sarcasm, just any pointers anyone was willing to share. .

Bill (Shadowman) wasn't being scarcastic, sir. He was just being "straight up" with you. 'Might wanna reread his stmts. HE was ALSO sincere. :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
Not a loaded question of any kind in fact very sincere and I wasn't looking for sarcasm, just any pointers anyone was willing to share. All cars have inherent idiosyncrasies and I was hoping some of you would have a suggestion or two as to what I might look for. I don’t want to post why I need the information pretty quick but will do so after the car is loaded in the trailer. As far as someone intimately familiar with the GT's I haven't been able to find anyone in the NY area, they didn’t make these like Mustangs.

No sarcasm but rather I was attempting share a most sincere concern that you should have when considering such an event as a PPI as well as the purchase of a gal such as a Ford GT or ................. consider purchasing a gal through a known seller such as Shelby, BJ, and Marv Rose.

They are finest of the gals out there and when properly purchased present great rewards however if a less than stellar gal she will quickly become a money pit or worse.

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Bill (Shadowman) wasn't being scarcastic, sir. He was just being "straight up" with you. 'Might wanna reread his stmts. HE was ALSO sincere. :cheers

"Thank You"

Shadowman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Use a pro.

Can anyone tell me what specific items to look out for in a pre-purchase inspection? The tach I know about but what other things are common problems I need to look for or don't know about? The car has 500 miles 2005

Thank You

Laniakea,

A trained and experienced eye is necessary. If you haven't looked at a bunch of these cars you will miss what needs to be seen. The GT Guys, Shadowman, Kendall (Cooltech), or Elite Autos are amoung the few people that I would trust to perform a pre purchase inspection. Don't spare the horses here, have your PPI done right. I have owned and driven a GT for 4 years and I would not trust myself to do a PPI on a FGT I was considering buying.

Chip

PS: Hey......I just noticed this is my 2000th post!!!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Last edited:

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Laniakea,
A trained and experienced eye is necessary. If you haven't looked at a bunch of these cars you will miss what needs to be seen. The GT Guys, Shadowman, or Elite Autos are the only people that I would trust to perform a pre purchase inspection. Don't spare the horses here, have your PPI done right.

Chip

Could not agree more with Chip and all other posts to this thread. The GT Guys are not far from New York and are very easy to contact prior to purchase for an inspection. If you are purchasing a "mostly track car", and getting a real good deal; that is different than if you want to make certain the car is "straight". The frame, for example, if damaged has a replacement cost that I think is around 80K. Just for the part. I'd hate to see anyone buy a car with hidden damage to the frame. It is easy enough to have the right folks inspect the car for you. I cannot tell you the exact step-by-step instructions for checking the car on your own, and I don't think too many others could either. We all know several highly visible talented experts within the forum, and I think have pointed you in the right direction.

http://www.thegtguy.com/

Visit this site and call them or send them an e-mail.

After that, buy the car, and change your status on this forum.

Pete S.

Aug 25, 2006
Could not agree more with Chip and all other posts to this thread. The GT Guys are not far from New York and are very easy to contact prior to purchase for an inspection. If you are purchasing a "mostly track car", and getting a real good deal; that is different than if you want to make certain the car is "straight". The frame, for example, if damaged has a replacement cost that I think is around 80K. Just for the part. I'd hate to see anyone buy a car with hidden damage to the frame. It is easy enough to have the right folks inspect the car for you. I cannot tell you the exact step-by-step instructions for checking the car on your own, and I don't think too many others could either. We all know several highly visible talented experts within the forum, and I think have pointed you in the right direction.

http://www.thegtguy.com/

Visit this site and call them or send them an e-mail.

After that, buy the car, and change your status on this forum.

Pete S.

Pete S well stated

Now having said this you and I have worked together tending to your gal so your insight is very valuable

Takes care

Shadowman

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Ok, the car is bought and I've changed my status to a paid member here on the forum. Thanks to all for the input.

Aug 25, 2006
Ok, the car is bought and I've changed my status to a paid member here on the forum. Thanks to all for the input.

Congratulations and "welcome"

If there is anything that we can do as you embark on your adventure by all means please let us know and at the same time please share your experiences with all of us as well.

BTW becoming a paid member is “truly” appreciated as it is the oil that keeps this machine alive.

When time permits post a few pictures of your gal.

Now have fun together and be safe as you two get to know each other.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Congrats

be vary careful driving in NY weather in thw 20s.

Read the tire thread on temps below 40 degrees very carefully. Get the service history and make sure TSBs are done and you have new fluids.

Welcome to the club.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Welcome....and congrats!!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It would help if you go thru the GT Registry and see if it was "one of us" selling the car, and maybe one of us might know something about the car or owner. If it's a red car from Gino (RedGT 1442), you might find out it's been professionally cut in half.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Congrats!! Always nice to get a new supporting member!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congratulations and Welcome! Be sure to make the next Rally.:thumbsup:thumbsu

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Welcome:thumbsup Hope to meet you at one of our Northeast events or the Rally in Virginia!!!

John