Power steering pump hose leak

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have a leak at the fitting on the pressure line. I replaced the O-ring and it still leaks. Anyone have this issue? How tight does the flare nut need to be?

3C3775FD-A2B3-4CCC-BE99-7FF606C662C3.jpeg

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
This is an interesting topic because I noticed a small drop at the bottom of my pump during my last oil change--I have not addressed it yet because it was so small. I'm definitely following this thread.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This is an interesting topic because I noticed a small drop at the bottom of my pump during my last oil change--I have not addressed it yet because it was so small. I'm definitely following this thread.

Here is the part number for the O-rings. They come in a four pack, but you only need one.86F06673-11F1-4F1C-B9C2-902F17065E14.jpegD38D33E2-5429-41B1-941F-22C3805B622D.jpeg

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
OK, great. Thank you! I hope that's my issue too.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
FYI, my version of the service manual (December 2005) shows something other than an O-ring on this fitting. My late 2006 has an O-ring.

From the manual:
57883F50-1CCA-458F-B5E4-D9F5F2AC6C3B.jpeg

What’s on my car:
DBEA4763-3EE5-4D78-8A4B-3FBB09B37828.jpeg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
To close out this thread for future reference, I’ll share that the leak was not coming from the o-ring. There was an extremely tiny pinhole in the hard line below the o-ring where the ferrule contacts the flare.

I put a vacuum on it and heard a faint hiss. I then pressurized the line with water. Even knowing where it is, I could barely see it.

You can temporarily put an o-ring below the flare to diagnose this. Also, keep in mind that if you have a leak at the pressure line going into the pump, tightening the ferrule can actually make the problem worse by cracking the line. It’s not a compression type fitting, it’s an o-ring that rides in a bore. The ferrule just needs to be tight enough to keep the line in place.

Now I just need to find a new pressure line at a decent price. MSRP is about $1k. Ack
FF5BDAC3-881F-4CE5-8694-5C202371485A.jpegBE99430B-DED4-4129-8B58-2C1ABB3BB9F7.jpeg
15110E9A-D4F0-47E1-83BA-C1B8DBC1F0B2.jpeg

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice job finding that leak ,, I know sometimes they can be pretty hard to find .. im dealing w ps leak in my daily driver now a 09 audi s8 I am no looking forward to work on that car as it is impossible to do anything without first removing half the engine compartment

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
nice job finding that leak ,, I know sometimes they can be pretty hard to find .. im dealing w ps leak in my daily driver now a 09 audi s8 I am no looking forward to work on that car as it is impossible to do anything without first removing half the engine compartment

We're fortunate that the GT is fairly easy to work on. Good luck with your project.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe these guys would make an exact replacement (for much less $)?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Maybe these guys would make an exact replacement (for much less $)?

Maybe. I bit the bullet and bought the OEM hose for about $650.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Maybe. I bit the bullet and bought the OEM hose for about $650.
ouch! I think you got hosed :)

Reactions: Nafod and 2112

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Haha. Yep.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
For a !k I would get it tig welded and ground inside and out

Reactions: Nafod

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I’m going to do just that and save it as a spare. These parts are getting too expensive to toss.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I'm currently dealing with a leaking HP power steering hose on my Porsche Cayman R. And yes it's been a pain dealing with all the parts I had to take off to get to the hose. AC compressor was the biggest problem as the hose went underneath it.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I'm currently dealing with a leaking HP power steering hose on my Porsche Cayman R. And yes it's been a pain dealing with all the parts I had to take off to get to the hose. AC compressor was the biggest problem as the hose went underneath it.
gota love german engineering ....

driving them is fine, working them not so much

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
People actually own German cars past the warranty?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We've seen this twice now - it seems the pipe cracks at the point where your droplet is in the picture - as the most tightly formed point I presume it's the weakest.
We had a local hydraulic company make up a new hose for us at a cost of around $30...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
We've seen this twice now - it seems the pipe cracks at the point where your droplet is in the picture - as the most tightly formed point I presume it's the weakest.
We had a local hydraulic company make up a new hose for us at a cost of around $30...

F***!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
People actually own German cars past the warranty?
yes, the not so smart ones do :)

im glad to report that my ps is fixed (again) It was one of the factory lines that busted I replaced a piece of the line with a new line sourced from Oreilys parts store for a cool 12 dollars. lets see how long this fix lasts as Im sure the new hose wont stand up to the pressures of german pumps. I think the pressure in the ps system of audi is somewhere in the neighborhood of the pressure at the exhaust manifold of the space shuttle.

Last edited: