Post mod tune up report

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This is one of those after mod tune reports - aka the fun stuff.

I had been contemplating which way to go with this car and finally decided it would be fun and educational to move it slowly up the ranks and enjoy it at various power levels before ending up as TT. It certainly has plenty of power to enjoy on the street or track at any level.

My car came with a pulley tune (2.8" SC and 10% under) but I had no data on the tune and I wasn't even sure what fuel grade it was tuned with. Also, some of you may remember the collapsing intake boot matter. If you missed that video, here's the link to that again. www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEVYbt6xwU&feature=plcp (paste it in or check the tread here- Intake boot collapse)

The OEM intake boot stiffener was missing when I got the car and it gave me a nasty pause between 4000-5000 rpm, as evidenced in the video. The upside was it really showed me that even at moderate power increases, such as with a pulley tune, the demand on the cold air supply is pretty huge and the cold air intake could do with some improving. I didn't know it at the time, but The GT Guys already had a bead on this and had developed a really sweet cold air intake kit. The kit looks awesome, sexy in fact. It's extremely easy to install, if you stand back 5-7 ft you can practically throw it at the car and the parts will land in the right place. They claimed a 35hp gain on pump gas. Cool. I'm game. So on it goes along with an Accufab dual blade TB. We'll see.

Enter Torrie.
Torrie rolled into town, unleashed, in his sparkling black Roush Mustang with his lap top and proceeded to terrorize my cat, drink all my beer and at the same time leave me with one really sweet tune. The boy knows his stuff and he's fun to work with - but I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. He exceeded my expectations. I'm super stoked. We got what we think are some pretty good results for a stock blower. I'll have to say too, I'm a fan of the work Rich and Dennis at GTG put into their cold air kit. Great looks and there is at least 35hp buried back there. Go dig it out and Torrie can put it to work.

So in this configuration with a stock SC, Torrie unleashed;
695rwhp
649ftlbs
at a nice 17.5lbs. boost
:banana

Since the OEM boost gauge was now useless, we temp'ed in a direct reading vacuum gauge into the bleed port on the intake manifold, just to verify the boost level. I'll do something about the panel gauge later.

Here's a video or two of the dyno pulls and the boost gauge in action as well as some pics of the cold air kit work, the final dyne graph and the man himself. It's a really, really fun car right now. Quick, much more full of spirit and the tune barks with enthusiasm even in slow traffic thru the GTG X pipe exhst. I know many of you went down this road long ago, but you should know, it's still a butt load of fun down here. My thanks to Torrie of Unleashed Tuning, The GTG and Accufab for making the smile permanently bigger. :thumbsup:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

[video=youtube;CsouZ5HJPj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsouZ5HJPj0&feature=plcp [/video]

[video=youtube;YV_slduwdl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV_slduwdl4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Attachments

• torrie.jpg
    torrie.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 826
  • Dyno graph.jpg
    Dyno graph.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 363
  • coldkit top.jpg
    coldkit top.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 366
  • coldkit side.jpg
    coldkit side.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 363

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Very nice and those are some huge numbers from a stock blower.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Congrats on a very impressive result.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Nice!

Smile Torrrie.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Great write up John. This is the highest HP stock blower car I have worked with so far and using 93 octane as well. Just wait until this thing opens up some with time. When I was in it on the dyno it had 800 and change on the odo.

Rich and Dennis have a great intake, I had been looking forward to building a calibration around it. Now I have a great base, I cannot wait to see it's capability when paired with twins or a larger compressor.

Thanks again John for the gracious hospitality at your "barn". I would be more then happy at any time to head back up there and keep moving power up the scale on your GT.

Attachments

• IMAG1301.jpg
    IMAG1301.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMAG1302.jpg
    IMAG1302.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMAG1308.jpg
    IMAG1308.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 317

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Those are some fat numbers for a stock blower. I'm pulling slightly less than 100 more HP but only a few FT LBS more TQ on my Whipple 4.0 @ 19 PSI. His TQ curve is very impressive too!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Steve I would love to see what this Intake would do for your GT with the 4.0l !!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I bet ditching the stock air box helps.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
And I guess if I had used a monoblade TB she might have made 700.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I bet ditching the stock air box helps.

Big time.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
And I guess if I had used a monoblade TB she might have made 700.

We can try that if you like.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Steve I would love to see what this Intake would do for your GT with the 4.0l !!
So would I...where can I get it?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
So would I...where can I get it?

From Rich and Dennis, scroll down to the cold air kit :

http://www.thegtguy.com/GTG/store#tabs-3

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We can try that if you like.

I gave that a lot of thought up front, but heard some reports of sticking coming off the peg with the mono blade, but Steve reports smooth sailing with his. Yea, could do, next time your up this way. I'll put one on the shelf.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Got it.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
From Rich and Dennis, scroll down to the cold air kit :

http://www.thegtguy.com/GTG/store#tabs-3
"50 HP on a Whipple car" I need to think about this! I could be running over 830 WHP and that would probably get me a disproportionately higher amount of TQ as well...wow! Is there any downside to this setup? Like Hydrolock in wet?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I gave that a lot of thought up front, but heard some reports of sticking coming off the peg with the mono blade, but Steve reports smooth sailing with his. Yea, could do, next time your up this way. I'll put one on the shelf.
I spoke to Accufab about this - they say that's simply not true and that the monoblade is the way to go.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
"50 HP on a Whipple car" I need to think about this! That would probably get me a disproportionately higher amount of TQ as well...wow! Is there any downside to this setup? Like Hydrolock in wet?

I would go for it I see no real downsides. You can always inquire with Rich with questions as well.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Calling 'em next week...I'll let you know - and if I go down that path, we'll arrange for the tuning! I'm salivating - LOL

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Calling 'em next week...I'll let you know - and if I go down that path, we'll arrange for the tuning! I'm salivating - LOL

I will be ready the instant you need me !!