Please tell me about vertical doors. I want to buy it!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
This link includes Discovery Automotive's documention of a vertical door hinge installation http://www.discovery-automotive.com...?sectionguid=5104642a5cc54af0ad5061d6e6c2da1e

Is this Chris A.'s? (it's a black no-stripe)

DownloadPicture.aspx

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In those pics you can see the attachment point and still pics with the fender off.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
So you just have to unhook the door shock to service the shocks on the car.. Doesn't look to complicated to me..

Reactions: 2112

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
So you just have to unhook the door shock to service the shocks on the car.. Doesn't look to complicated to me..
Holding the door open without the gas shock support takes some rigging and care. I was there with Wwabbit when we did our Ohlins install in 2014. CobraDan in MA just dealt with a shock install with these doors on a customer car. Not straight forward.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Holding the door open without the gas shock support takes some rigging and care. I was there with Wwabbit when we did our Ohlins install in 2014. CobraDan in MA just dealt with a shock install with these doors on a customer car. Not straight forward.

good to know. I talk to dan a bunch also.

Reactions: sahlman

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Thank you Mr.sahlman
That means. .. .. .. .. Does it mean that repair is difficult once it is attached and breaks down?
Holding this door up and removing and replacing shocks is a challenge. Doable. But not straight forward to support the door without the gas strut attached to its mount.

CC-APD

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2021
Japan
Holding this door up and removing and replacing shocks is a challenge. Doable. But not straight forward to support the door without the gas strut attached to its mount.

Thank you Mr.sahlman
Yes it is.
Experienced people's comments are helpful.
Is it a weak point that the absorber is fragile?

CC-APD

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2021
Japan
This link includes Discovery Automotive's documention of a vertical door hinge installation http://www.discovery-automotive.com...?sectionguid=5104642a5cc54af0ad5061d6e6c2da1e

Is this Chris A.'s? (it's a black no-stripe)

DownloadPicture.aspx

Thank you !
Nice Infomation!
Thank you Somuch!

Reactions: extrap

CC-APD

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2021
Japan
Have'm. Love'm. Totally convenient for parking and egress. My son, since he was 6, opens and closes them without issue.

View attachment 65022

Thank you your Comment , Of Nice Black GT ! Thanks Mr,Chris A

CC-APD

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2021
Japan
I learned to keep a hand on the door insert as I exited, saving me a head bump.

If caught in a parking lot where you cannot open the door completely, you learn the turn-stoop & crab walk move until you are in the clear.

After you live with the car for a bit, the issue is pretty much forgotten.

Thank you Mr.digman1 .
Yes it is. I think so.

Reactions: digman1

CC-APD

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2021
Japan
I think what people are suggesting in the posts above, is they are very expensive ($10k+ if still available), difficult to install (non reversible?), the mechanism blocks access to removing the front shocks, and their operation is very precise (finicky). The action of the door, is that it opens horizontally initially, then things go up, 2 completely different motions to open the door (not a single motion like a NGT Lamborghini etc). My understanding, is you can force and tweak things out of alignment if you do not get the actions correct, or try to swing past the limits, particularly opening too far horizantally, and coming down too hard when closing. I have been in a car or 2 with them, and it was a counterintuitive process to open the door.

Maybe a member that has them and likes them can correct my comments.

Mr.Specracer , Thank you you comment. I think so.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
2238338E-E83D-4745-9747-18932F4312FA.jpeg
I got these through Shelby Smith, but not sure if he’s got anymore kits available.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I got these through Shelby Smith, but not sure if he’s got anymore kits available.
Can you comment on the day-in-day-out livability/functionality? Did you have the GT for long previously and did you have door/parking/exiting experiences that were resolved with this modification?
Thanks

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Definitely think they look cool. And I’m sure they’re more functional than the stocks that up. But That being said I’m happy just leaving mine stock . As in 15 years of ownership I’ve had no issues. I’ve heard they require Maintance. Correct me if I’m wrong

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Thank you Mr.sahlman
Yes it is.
Experienced people's comments are helpful.
Is it a weak point that the absorber is fragile?
When I said shock replacement I was referring to the suspension coilovers because of the door strut that mounts over it. I couldn't tell you about this door assemblies strut/absorber durability, but removal of this doors strut from mounting requires somehow supporting the whole door assembly without damage to yourself or the car.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
If done in a garage with an open ceiling / exposed trusses:
2238338E-E83D-4745-9747-18932F4312FA.jpg
Might also work on a garage door rail support, near the tail end, prob best not over the middle of the rail.

I'd put a soft, clean towel in the window first so the strap only touches that and not the car itself.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
A goalpost at the local high school football field would work too—and you’d get several dozen volunteers to help you!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think this upgrade is super cool..............but I have never tried it in person.

Do those struts need replacement as frequently as the clamshell struts? I assume that is a fender-off process each time?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I think this upgrade is super cool..............but I have never tried it in person.

Do those struts need replacement as frequently as the clamshell struts? I assume that is a fender-off process each time?

Haven't replaced mine since the initial install, '08(ish). Fender does not need to come off from what I recall. Fender liner, yes.

They have not required any maintenance either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

Tomcat

GT Owner
Haven't replaced mine since the initial install, '08(ish). Fender does not need to come off from what I recall. Fender liner, yes.

They have not required any maintenance either.
Can you comment on the day-in-day-out livability/functionality? Did you have the GT for long previously and did you have door/parking/exiting experiences that were resolved with this modification?
Thanks