Photos of the day we bought our Ford GT's.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
In May, 2019 I decided to make a GT purchase, with full support of my wife, YAY!!! I searched the country for options. Picked four cars to look at in the southwest US. Laid out my car inspection tour, bought airline tickets and was on my way. I was definitely not going to buy the first GT and maybe not any of the first four. I had a second tour laid out that would take me to the south-central US and southeast US. The availability of GT's, at that time, was definitely more numerous than today. Many of the cars had been for sale for 6 months or longer, so no reason to rush the purchase. For many reasons, I very surprisingly bought the first car that I looked at. No regrets. It had 18,000 miles, more than I preferred and the highest mileage of all my other options, but it had other offsetting benefits. Luckily, I had the ability to perform my own PPI. I did the inspection and finalized the deal the first day, slept on it overnight, wired the $$$ first thing the second day and received the title. I slept the second night at a relative's house with the car safe in the garage. Drove 800 miles home the third day, absolutely wonderful drive. This purchase really took the fun out of the remainder of my anxiously awaited inspection tour(s). Had fun driving and showing the GT during the summer of 2019. Of course, it won awards. First pic shows the car the day I bought it. Pics hide all, overall it was a really clean car, except, it had pitting on the windshield and head lights and a few small rock chips in the paint. Nobody noticed these faults, unless, I pointed them out. Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber No. 40 on the lights and Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax No. 26 on the windshield successfully filled/hid the pitting. Notice the old green tinted brake fluid in the second pic. Unacceptable, needs to be perfect.

Sooo......during the winter I did a complete refurbishment. New fluids, trans output seals, ARP shaft bolt kit, windshield, fog light lenses, headlights (could have easily sanded/buffed originals, but now have as spares), Heffner pipe, filters, belts, hatch lift struts, filled/sanded/buffed all rock chips, repaired prior mechanics minor screw-ups, buffed and waxed, etc. The GT is now in new showroom condition with over 20,000 miles. Although, it was proudly on display in a Lexus new car showroom when I purchased it.

I had the GT back together by spring and ready to show, BUT, now nowhere to show.

I did get a Speed Lingerie front bra and mirror covers for highway travel. Very nice fitting, looks great.

Many thanks to those on this forum for all the great info, advice and help over the past year.

Ed

PS: Regarding a question on another thread. I left the clamshell on during all the work, even for muffler replacement. Looked to me like this was the least risk to damage option.

View attachment 60681
View attachment 60682
View attachment 60683
View attachment 60684
I think this is how you change the oil on a Bugatti.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
This is when I BOUGHT my GT. Delivery was much later.20190311_102937.jpg

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I was to collect mine late in 05, the day I could get it was the day I had to fly to Australia with the family.
What was to happen was for me to collect it near the airport and drive it back home and then head off to my flight.
A fleeting drive but thats the way it was, and I'm sure it would've been magic.
That didn't happen, the guy driving the car from the dealership was late and I waited and waited for him to arrive, so much that I had to continue now straight to the airport as I would miss my flight.
As I tell my driver to head to the airport I see the GT going to the meet up location that I was at only 10 sec earlier.... I nearly snapped my neck and jaw dropped watching it go past me. Nooooooo
I had a friend take it to my house and it sat there for 3 months before I got back to see it...It was torture I say....torture.
I cant find the photo that he sent on that day, but it was a 1st world problem I've got over.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
It took me until July 16, 2020 to realize my dream. Flashback to earlier days I was fortunate enough to be running Eatons supercharger business through this program as a supplier of the Lysholm supercharger for these cars. Many challenges with this project and working in the automotive world is always a challenge but if you love cars and technology, it’s why you do it and the Ford GT was the ultimate.

After dreaming about owning one of these cars for 15 years, I had been searching last year for just the right car and was about to head from my home in MI to FL to look at a red GT, when a 2,600 mile Red 05’ came up for sale in Northern Indiana less than 30 minutes from my home.

Since purchase I’ve gotten the airbag recall completed, replaced the fuel and boost gauge (myself with help from Rich and the forum), new battery, changed oil and filters and done some detailing. And got to put a few hundred miles on her.

Plans for spring include new bridgestones and way more driving. Thinking also about maybe an exhaust upgrade and tune (a supercharger guy always wants more power).

Loving this car and it’s in such great condition it’s like getting a new FGT just 15 years later than planned. Better late than never.

Attachments

• C11F9E44-AB65-4BF1-B4E1-C0EB4EA0B996.jpeg
    C11F9E44-AB65-4BF1-B4E1-C0EB4EA0B996.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: extrap

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
By the way, it’s a three option car. Has standard wheels which I’m noticing seem to be pretty rare. Almost every GT I see posted has the optional wheels.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

After dreaming about owning one of these cars for 15 years, I had been searching last year for just the right car and was about to head from my home in MI to FL to look at a red GT ...

You almost went MI to FL for your red GT .. I did go FL to MI for my red GT. You're happy, I'm happy 🍻 Curious, tho, where your FL one was, and how you found it, cuz it seems like I didn't know about it and I thought I'd scoured every ad out there. Oh, but then my search was in the June-July '20 timeframe, so maybe yours was later ...

By the way, it’s a three option car. Has standard wheels which I’m noticing seem to be pretty rare. Almost every GT I see posted has the optional wheels.

I used to think the optional BBS wheels were the obvious choice, better looking, but the more I see GTs with the base wheel the more I like 'em, at least as much if not more (y) I guess they're about like stripes: to me the car looks great with stripes, without stripes, with side stripes only and probably every other variation somebody can think of ... same with color, they all look good.

Last edited:

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
You almost went MI to FL for your red GT .. I did go FL to MI for my red GT. You're happy, I'm happy 🍻 Curious, tho, where your FL one was, and how you found it, cuz it seems like I didn't know about it and I thought I'd scoured every ad out there. Oh, but then my search was in the June-July '20 timeframe, so maybe yours was

I used to think the optional BBS wheels were the obvious choice, better looking, but the more I see GTs with the base wheel the more I like 'em, at least as much if not more (y) I guess they're about like stripes: to me the car looks great with stripes, without stripes, with side stripes only and probably every other variation somebody can think of ... same with color, they all look good.
It was a red 4 option 06’ located near Ft Myers. I recall from pics it has a minor chip in paint on front fascia area but I never went to look at it.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
It was a red 4 option 06’ located near Ft Myers. I recall from pics it has a minor chip in paint on front fascia area but I never went to look at it.
Could have been 05. Can’t remember.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Could have been 05. Can’t remember.

Ah, pretty sure I know that one. 4-option '06 VIN 400513 in Alva FL just east outside Ft Myers, and the seller gave me a story that didn't sound too confidence inspiring: His dad, who lives right next door, bought the GT 4 years ago for his friend. When he rcvd it and offered it, the friend said he doesn't like red HA! So dad just kept it, never titled it in his own name, and it's just been sitting in his garage ever since. Said his dad bought it from a dentist in Alabama. Mmmm. HMMM. Uh-huh. Yeah, um, I'm gonna pass. Maybe all true, who knows, but his price wasn't low enough to make me wanna pursue it further.

And he sent me pics, and for a 2,100-mi car it looked to have more little nicks and specks than I would've expected (raced?). Again, especially at his price which was $310k at the time.

Edit: OK this was off-topic, and if it bothers anybody I can replace the whole thing with another pic of mine on delivery day. Don't see a delete option.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Ah, pretty sure I know that one. 4-option '06 VIN 400513 in Alva FL just east outside Ft Myers, and the seller gave me a story that didn't sound too confidence inspiring: His dad, who lives right next door, bought the GT 4 years ago for his friend. When he rcvd it and offered it, the friend said he doesn't like red HA! So dad just kept it, never titled it in his own name, and it's just been sitting in his garage ever since. Said his dad bought it from a dentist in Alabama. Mmmm. HMMM. Uh-huh. Yeah, um, I'm gonna pass. Maybe all true, who knows, but his price wasn't low enough to make me wanna pursue it further.

And he sent me pics, and for a 2,100-mi car it looked to have more little nicks and specks than I would've expected (raced?). Again, especially at his price which was $310k at the time.

Edit: OK this was off-topic, and if it bothers anybody I can replace the whole thing with another pic of mine on delivery day. Don't see a delete option.
That is the car. Don’t know if it ever sold. I was lucky to find one that is blemish free including under the bumper.

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
I bought my 2005 Ford GT, vin 1FAFP90S05Y400201, new off the showroom floor at Buster Miles Ford in Heflin, AL on February 23, 2006. The founder of the dealership sold me the car. Buster Miles was 82 years old at the time, and still working in the store every day. This was the only GT they had been allocated, and it was of course the most expensive Ford they had ever sold. The small town newspaper in Heflin wrote an article about the sale and took pictures. I drove the car home to Georgia and I still own it.

Attachments

• 100_1888.jpg
    100_1888.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1876.jpg
    100_1876.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
15 years tomorrow.

February 23, 2006.

Reactions: extrap and RPM217

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I bought my 2005 Ford GT, vin 1FAFP90S05Y400201, new off the showroom floor at Buster Miles Ford in Heflin, AL on February 23, 2006. The founder of the dealership sold me the car. Buster Miles was 82 years old at the time, and still working in the store every day. This was the only GT they had been allocated, and it was of course the most expensive Ford they had ever sold. The small town newspaper in Heflin wrote an article about the sale and took pictures. I drove the car home to Georgia and I still own it.

That's awesome.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Delivery day 8/26/20 (cell fone pics; all I could do ... too much goin' on to concentrate!)

Those pix ^ were the day I received mine (8/26/20). Here's one I like from the day I first saw it (7/29/20) at the seller's house with Rich Brooks to haul it away and make it roadworthy:
IMG_20200729_105858.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
CB09223D-C0B9-480C-9AA0-115F64443A2A.jpegAE4BB83A-2A11-44DF-9525-88D8CBC872DF.jpegFD4672F0-65B1-4EE0-94A8-FCCEEBBFDEF2.jpegI received my 2006 GT on Dec 14, 2005. I purchased it from a dealer I knew in WV. I was actually looking for a Shelby at the time. Everyone had long waiting lists but my friend told me his dealership won a lottery at a dealer convention and they just ordered it.
He offered it at MSRP and told him yes(with wife’s blessing). He said not too late to make changes. I first told him blue with white stripes but a few days later changed to white with blue stripes.
I found it too difficult to part with when I was selected for my NGT so I decided to keep it.
When my NGT was delivered she had tears of joy and said it was the most beautiful car she had ever seen.
It’s great to have a beautiful understanding lady as a partner of almost 50 years. She has given me only one piece of advice: Fast women or fast cars. Your choice. One will get you killed and the other will get you a ticket.
I still have detailed pictures of all the stickers and labels.

Reactions: Roadtrip and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
July 2012. We flew from DC to Chicago to pick up my 3,000 mile GT. Then we took three days to drive 1,000 miles home, including a drive through Ohio's Hocking Hills, a favorite test location for the Ann Arbor based magazines.

Attended Rally 7 in New Orleans shortly after. Rally 12 will be six in a row. Rolled over 29,000 miles last weekend.

View attachment 46082

All those expensive exotics and imports .. but you picked the best car in there (y)

(yeah I know this is a 4 y.o. post)

Reactions: dreimer

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
RIP Gary (Xcentric) miss you!

Reactions: BAT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
RIP Gary (Xcentric) miss you!

Oh! Geez .. I didn't know 😕

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
That's quite all right, it's good to bring him back occasionally.

Reactions: extrap

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I'm trying to be a good steward of his car. I took a nice drive to Amelia Island and Fernandina on Sunday. It's a fantastic vehicle, great mods, he kept everything (even the worn out things he replaced), and kept impeccable records. Can't ask for anything more. I consider myself blessed to own it.

Reactions: DakotaGT and extrap