Pedal Adjustment

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Does anyone know if there’s a solution to the lack of pedal adjustment?

Despite asking our concierge for well over a year about this, my partner was very disappointed to find out, that when she did eventually get to sit in the driver’s seat, the pedals wouldn’t adjust enough for her to be able to drive the car. Initially we discovered this problem when we sat in the car in Geneva 2017, but our concierge fobbed us off with the line that it was a prototype and not to worry it’d be sorted out. However, we’ve now had the opportunity to try it again and, no, it’s still the same.

Not only is this a fundamental problem for us, it raises the question of what other’s who are also on the short side going to do? My partner, whilst vertically challenged, is hardly a midget, and is at least as tall as Raj and Dave Pericak, so how did they reach the pedals comfortably?

She can drive pretty much any other supercar easily (actually more comfortably than me in some cases), so we find it hard to believe that this car is so fundamentally flawed. Hence surely there’s a solution to this but, given how other problems have been addressed, I’m not confident that going through my concierge will achieve this. That’s why I’m asking here in the hope that someone involved in the design or engineering of this car will know of a suitable solution (and don’t just say get a cushion!), as this could well be a deal-breaker, not just for us, but for anyone under 5’6.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Are you sure the spring loaded pedal box came all the way forward? The pedal boxes in the cars I sat in had a large range of adjustment. What is her inseam?

You can install pedal extensions as a last resort.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I assume your partner has sat in a production car (I cant remember off the top of my head if you have gotten your car, I thought your recent posts you were in the order phase)? I slid my pedal box all the way forward, and was surprised how far it came. Also is there any chance it got hung up on the floor mat? Also if you look carefully, there are threaded inserts to the left of the pedal box. I had no idea what these were for, so I asked. There is an optional dead pedal that can be installed for smaller people.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I realize you probably already tried this, but we noticed when Monica sat in Chips car it seemed that moving the recline forward helped Monica reach the pedals.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Phil, as a last resort you could go the old Marcos route and get a seatback insert made. Marcos used to call it a tadpole

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would definitely make sure the pedal box is moving all the way forward and not getting bound up. I know a number of people of that height driving the car without a problem. The dead pedal would be an enhancement, but I would assume that would be primarily if you're ringing the car out. Is there someone with a delivered production car around that you know and can try?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The foot box in the production car moves a long way. If that is not enough here is in easy solution we have explored in the Batcave.. The pedals are drilled with numerous holes you can actually adjust the offset position if need be. You could easily install some spacers of any thickness to further move the pedals closer to the driver.. should be about a 20 minute job,, No need to modify the seats.. you're welcome.. I'll tell you where to send the check...:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Yeah something doesn’t sound right here. I’ve had lots of women sit in my GT and a few have driven it. All of them were under 5’6” and none of them had trouble adjusting the pedals to fit. Has she been in a customer production GT or just in factory preproduction cars??

Chip

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I assume your partner has sat in a production car (I cant remember off the top of my head if you have gotten your car, I thought your recent posts you were in the order phase)? I slid my pedal box all the way forward, and was surprised how far it came. Also is there any chance it got hung up on the floor mat? Also if you look carefully, there are threaded inserts to the left of the pedal box. I had no idea what these were for, so I asked. There is an optional dead pedal that can be installed for smaller people.

Andy, the car we were trying out was the press car which is meant to be production spec. The chap from Ford Europe confirmed that the pedal box was as far forward as it would go and it couldn’t have got caught up on a floor mat as there weren’t any. I'm not sure a dead pedal will help. Whatever solution is found it must be flexible so that we can both drive the car.

My car has already been ordered and signed off, but can’t go into production until this problem (and a couple other issues regarding servicing and support), has been addressed.

I realize you probably already tried this, but we noticed when Monica sat in Chips car it seemed that moving the recline forward helped Monica reach the pedals.

Yes we tried this, unfortunately it didn’t really help.

Are you sure the spring loaded pedal box came all the way forward? The pedal boxes in the cars I sat in had a large range of adjustment. What is her inseam?

You can install pedal extensions as a last resort.

I’m really not keen to do this as I’m not convinced it’s safe. Plus the fact I think that it could mess up my driving position.

Her inseam is >29 inches, however she does have tiny feet. That probably doesn't help?

Phil, as a last resort you could go the old Marcos route and get a seatback insert made. Marcos used to call it a tadpole

Really don’t want to go this route. I've driven solutions like this and there are always problems.

I would definitely make sure the pedal box is moving all the way forward and not getting bound up. I know a number of people of that height driving the car without a problem. The dead pedal would be an enhancement, but I would assume that would be primarily if you're ringing the car out. Is there someone with a delivered production car around that you know and can try?

Unfortunately I don’t personally know either of the owners of the UK cars that have been delivered, those that I did know ahead of me have already pulled out, or have not been delivered yet.

The foot box in the production car moves a long way. If that is not enough here is in easy solution we have explored in the Batcave.. The pedals are drilled with numerous holes you can actually adjust the offset position if need be. You could easily install some spacers of any thickness to further move the pedals closer to the driver.. should be about a 20 minute job,, No need to modify the seats.. you're welcome.. I'll tell you where to send the check...:biggrin

And there was I thinking that you’d offer to make me something! :wink As I said, whatever I do, I have to make sure that the solution suits both of us and I don’t end up ruining the setup for myself.

Yeah something doesn’t sound right here. I’ve had lots of women sit in my GT and a few have driven it. All of them were under 5’6” and none of them had trouble adjusting the pedals to fit. Has she been in a customer production GT or just in factory preproduction cars??

Chip

Well this is what we don’t understand either, it seems madness that the car doesn’t appear to be able to be driven by someone of her height. After the Geneva trip debacle last year, we asked repeatedly to be able to check that it wouldn’t be a problem in a production car, hence the eventual loan of the press car, which is meant to be production spec. So if it turns out that it isn’t, I’ll need it to be proven before I proceed with my order. Also, whilst I’ll be relieved that it won’t be an issue after all, I’ll be annoyed that Ford didn’t take my concern seriously, nor will my partner be happy that she’s had her time wasted trying out a car that wasn’t suitable.

But at least I got to drive it around the track, even though I did have an unhappy girlfriend that couldn't!

1I9F4321.jpg

1I9F4317.jpg

1I9F4319.jpg

[video=youtube_share;mAlKv91ex_E]http://youtu.be/mAlKv91ex_E[/video]

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
How tall is she?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Also, whilst I’ll be relieved that it won’t be an issue after all, I’ll be annoyed that Ford didn’t take my concern seriously, nor will my partner be happy that she’s had her time wasted trying out a car that wasn’t suitable.

Why do you think it is Ford's responsibility? No company can be expected to make products that fit everyone. What if Shaq were on the list, should they make special concessions?

It is possible the first time I'll sit in one is when the big orange truck drops it off at my house. I'm 6'-3" so I'll be able to touch, but if I couldn't I'd duct tape wood blocks to the pedals if I had to. If this is how it starts for you perhaps you should simply pass. Good luck. :thumbsup

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Why do you think it is Ford's responsibility? No company can be expected to make products that fit everyone. What if Shaq were on the list, should they make special concessions?
Oh I'm sorry, my bad for asking a question of Ford and getting a bullshit answer stating 'no, it'll be fine don't worry', then actually finding out it isn't.

That's the issue.

All the other supercar manufacturers seem to have managed this, it's extremely disappointing if it turns out Ford haven't.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Oh I'm sorry, my bad for asking a question of Ford and getting a bullshit answer stating 'no, it'll be fine don't worry', then actually finding out it isn't.

I'd tell you the same thing had I seen vertically challenged folks not have a problem. Pretty sure DBK and Chip just said the same as well. Are those "bullshit" answers?

Perhaps there is something about her leg/torso ratio, or femur/shin ratio, or foot size or ??? that is the perfect anthropometric storm for the seating position of this car. No way in hell your concierge could know that. Not all 5'-6"-s are created equal. I'm sorry your experience isn't working out but your frustration is misplaced, IMO.

What "other supercar manufacturers" have even done a car like this?

In my industry we have to design to accommodate the 95th percentile American male to a 5th percentile Japanese female and it is a royal PITA. Just can't happen in a vehicle like this.

short long torso.jpg
95thFm.jpg

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I'd tell you the same thing had I seen vertically challenged folks not have a problem. Pretty sure DBK and Chip just said the same as well. Are those "bullshit" answers?

Perhaps there is something about her leg/torso ratio, or femur/shin ratio, or foot size or ??? that is the perfect anthropometric storm for the seating position of this car. No way in hell your concierge could know that. Not all 5'-6"-s are created equal. I'm sorry your experience isn't working out but your frustration is misplaced, IMO.
I’m not talking about what DBK or Chip have said, I’m referring to being mucked around by my concierge. And for the record he has met her and knows her leg measurements so he hardly has an excuse for giving bad advice. He knew this was an issue yet did nothing to resolve it (I only got to try the press car because of a direct appeal to Jay Ward), so either he’s been fobbing me off hoping that I’m stupid enough to go through with this without checking, or the car we’ve been shown was faulty. From what DBK and Chip have said, I’m hoping that it’s the latter, but either way it doesn’t show Ford in a good light. So who do you think my frustration should be aimed at?

She actually has long legs for her height so shouldn’t have a problem, and doesn’t with any other supercar, hence this has all come as a bit of a shock. When we were first asking to sit in the car last year (because I was meant to be ordering then before we all got delayed by nearly a year), it was more for my benefit as I wanted to check that wearing a crash helmet wouldn’t be an issue (it’s a bit uncomfortable in the 05 car), so never dreamt that my partner would have a problem with the seating position. As soon as it transpired in Geneva that she could have, and the chap assigned to us at the show simply shrugged his shoulders because, as he admitted, he knew nothing about the car, I contacted my concierge to let him know we had a problem. So he’s known for over a year that this could be a deal breaker, yet didn’t tell me - too right I’m frustrated, this is hardly the ‘unique buying experience’ that I had anticipated! This is just the latest example in a history of poor communication and a general feeling of Ford not giving a shit about its UK/European customers. And it's not just me, European (particularly UK) customers have been dropping out like flies because of this.

You have no idea what we’re going through here, but if you’re prepared to buy a car that you have no information on and could be not fit for purpose, that’s up to you, but I won’t.

What "other supercar manufacturers" have even done a car like this?
Lots - pretty much any Ferrari, McLaren (including the Senna, in which she has 2 inches to spare), Lamborghini etc can accommodate both myself and my partner so it’s not exactly a difficult brief to be asking Ford to achieve. Oh and if you hadn’t noticed, most race drivers tend to be on the small side, as this is meant to be a ‘race car for the road’ you’d think that that would have been taken into account wouldn’t you?

In my industry we have to design to accommodate the 95th percentile American male to a 5th percentile Japanese female and it is a royal PITA. Just can't happen in a vehicle like this.

I’m not expecting it to, simply for it to be as good as its competitors in this regard.

I came here looking for advice because I couldn’t get information any other way, and others on this thread have been helpful and offered it, for which I’m grateful, even if it turns out that it’s all ultimately in vain. You, however, seem to offer a rather condescending attitude, trying to defend the indefensible, about which you know nothing. It’s exactly this type of response that puts me, and others, off this forum, and continuing with the Ford brand in general.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Can someone on the forum who has taken delivery give him a measurement from the accelerator pedal to the leading edge of the seat bottom with the pedal box in the closest position? This will at least give him a reference dimension he can use to compare with other cars he has.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Can someone on the forum who has taken delivery give him a measurement from the accelerator pedal to the leading edge of the seat bottom with the pedal box in the closest position? This will at least give him a reference dimension he can use to compare with other cars he has.

Yes that would be really useful, thanks. :thumbsup

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
On Vail Mountain skiing. Will be back home later Monday.
Will take measurement. Once I adjusted my seat, I have not touched it for 800 miles. But if I recall, it had plenty of travel and was actually fun the play with "back and forth"!
Andy (ajb)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'll go up to the building today and measure several.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I’m sorry for your frustration, but I do find it kind of shocking that this would be a “deal-breaker” for you. Then again, my wife isn’t as passionate about cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I measured two cars.

Mine was ~10 inches between the base of the pedal box and the leading edge of the small storage bin. It's ~4 more inches to the seat bottom. Measured straight from the brake pedal itself to the seat bottom is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch closer, as the pedal sticks out a bit from the base of the box. The other car was a little over 10.5 inches to the leading edge of the storage bin and again about ~14 inches to the edge of the seat bottom. Measured from the actual brake pedal to the crotch seated as far back as I could go was between 26 and 27 inches in both cars.

b2cb075a298db62c048c559a045ea796.jpg

548d77ec428b0f9fa4c2cc4dead7f7c6.jpg