paintjob

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
They list 18,400 for normal paint and 24,000 for candy paint. Thats not bad considering some of the other prices they have. Also, Id guess they have done at least a couple of cars and are familiar with the GT.

Might consider this down the road instead of trying a shop that has never done a GT.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They list 18,400 for normal paint and 24,000 for candy paint. Thats not bad considering some of the other prices they have. Also, Id guess they have done at least a couple of cars and are familiar with the GT.

Might consider this down the road instead of trying a shop that has never done a GT.

I don't know if any of this information is true, or up to date, but worth reading before you decide on a course of action.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9558

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kumar, you better be looking elsewhere.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^Gennadi still owes his paint contractor 100k plus.(per the contractor)

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Employing these types of management strategies usually provides one with effective pricing models. :frown

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I don't know what you had in mind for the paint but a lot of it depends on the material used. Just like everything else in life there is a high end and a low end in regards to paints and materials. We used the House of Kolor Tangelo orange on our car and it was not cheap. To repaint the GT the right away takes a lot of work and a lot of work costs a lot of money. I don't know how much it cost Steve to paint our car but I do know that he was always worrying about it scratching...Yes, even though it's a race-car haha.

When we had our car painted we stripped everything for the shop and took them the parts. Part of the reason for that was because we were prepping the car for the race during the same time so it was being stripped anyways, another reason is because we wanted to make sure that we did it properly and we knew how to put it all back together. Our painter ended up coming back to help with some of the final touches later and did a fantastic job.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Doing a repaint on a GT that already has a perfectly good paint job is a lot like a parachutist jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. 'Goofy undertaking.

Just MHO.

(So, who asked YER sorry seff ennyway, Pockets?)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

You mean the paint work was done outside his shop?

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

That was certainly my interpretation.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Okay here we go - Just the basics not exact details of the steps involved

Remove glass, remove all trim, remove stripes.
Tape all areas to protect from over spray
Sand down existing paint to bare metal.
Smooth existing metal to eliminate those little bumps and ripples that always exist.
Select your color and number of stage of paint type
Spray on paint
Hand wet sand using 300 grit or so
Respray
Hand wet sand using a bit finer grit
Keep repeating process of respraying and wet sanding until paint is smooth
The number of times the process is repeated is directly proportional to the quality of the finished paint job
Painted stripes have to be reapplied
Reapply trim
Place windows back in
Put new side stripes on
Polish
Detail GT
That is for one color, a solid color
Doesn't really matter too much if there are graphics

The paint job dexcribed above is $ 30-50,000 for a top notch paint job
Some paints can cost $ 3,000 alone for a car depending on what you select.

All depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

The above process is what shops like Coddington, Foose, Rad Rides by Troy, The Idas, etc. do for customer cars. What you see on overhauling is not a top notch paint job.

Remember what Gino said, car will be worth less even if painted original factory color. It's a respray no matter what.

:cheers
Dave

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

Uh Huh, that's what I was told by the paint shop owner who was holding a couple cars(GTX's) belonging to a foreign owner whom obviously was frustrated. He had paid Genaddi but the money didn't get to the guy doing the work. The shop owner reads the forum he might want to chime in. He seems like a nice guy once again holding the short end of the stick.

I do know Mark G. reads the forum so maybe he can clarify. I believe the above to be true.

-Kent GTX#14

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Kent for your clarification.

dinoraja

Permanent Vacation
Feb 10, 2008
Green Bay, WI
This is how I would do a color change on a GT or any other car. Just about everybody will prep and paint their cars differently so this isn’t like the Holy Grail or something.

First and most important; Select paint scheme (colors, stripes, graphics, etc.) You don’t want to have a car in your shop, tore apart, taking up space, and the guy can’t choose a color, the color choice also affects the color sealer you will use.
Remove and disassemble all painted panels, glass, necessary hardware, etc. from car (be sure to document, label, and package nuts, bolts, etc. according to where they go. Also tape edges of panels as not to chip them and cause more work for yourself)
Depending on what the customer wants and how fresh the original paint is you can strip the paint down to the metal, fiberglass, or whatever the panels are made of, or you can sand the original paint and go over that as it provides a good bed for the fresh spray to lay in. In this case, we’ll strip.
Apply paint stripper, let sit until paint bubbles, then scrape off loose paint
Take some 00 steel wool with either lacquer thinner or water and thoroughly scrub parts
Sand all panels to remove excess paint and scuff panels (220-320 grit)
Repair any low spots, dents, imperfections in the proper manner
Mask necessary areas
Prep & tack panels
Prime all panels with surfacer primer (2-3 coats)
Spray on guide coat of contrasting paint or primer
Hand sand all panels to ensure smooth flat surface (320-400 grit wet or dry)
Repeat last four steps until car is perfectly smooth and flat
Sand with 600 grit wet to remove 320 scratches
Un-mask
Re-mask
Prep & tack panels
Spray all panels with sealer primer
Spray basecoat (then midcoat if it’s a tri-coat or kandy)
If you want stripes like on a GT then you should;
Reinstall the parts to be striped onto the car
Tape off stripes
Remove panels from car
Prep & tack
Paint stripes
Un-mask stripes
Clear coat (3 coats)
Wet sand with 800-1000 grit wet until flat
Clear coat (3 coats)
Wet sand wit 2000 grit wet until flat
Buff with cutting compound until there are no more scratches or haze
Buff with swirl mark remover
Buff with finish or final glaze
Spray detailing spray and wipe in ONE DIRECTION with microfiber cloth
Tape edges and reassemble/reinstall panels
Buff and detail again if necessary
ENJOY!!!!
This does not include prepping and spraying jams and anything else that isn’t removable from the car as well as anything else I forgot to mention. And don’t forget to have fresh filters in your booth, air lines, and always remember to clean your guns!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This is how I would do a color change on a GT or any other car. Just about everybody will prep and paint their cars differently so this isn’t like the Holy Grail or something.

First and most important; Select paint scheme (colors, stripes, graphics, etc.) You don’t want to have a car in your shop, tore apart, taking up space, and the guy can’t choose a color, the color choice also affects the color sealer you will use.
Remove and disassemble all painted panels, glass, necessary hardware, etc. from car (be sure to document, label, and package nuts, bolts, etc. according to where they go. Also tape edges of panels as not to chip them and cause more work for yourself)
Depending on what the customer wants and how fresh the original paint is you can strip the paint down to the metal, fiberglass, or whatever the panels are made of, or you can sand the original paint and go over that as it provides a good bed for the fresh spray to lay in. In this case, we’ll strip.
Apply paint stripper, let sit until paint bubbles, then scrape off loose paint
Take some 00 steel wool with either lacquer thinner or water and thoroughly scrub parts
Sand all panels to remove excess paint and scuff panels (220-320 grit)
Repair any low spots, dents, imperfections in the proper manner
Mask necessary areas
Prep & tack panels
Prime all panels with surfacer primer (2-3 coats)
Spray on guide coat of contrasting paint or primer
Hand sand all panels to ensure smooth flat surface (320-400 grit wet or dry)
Repeat last four steps until car is perfectly smooth and flat
Sand with 600 grit wet to remove 320 scratches
Un-mask
Re-mask
Prep & tack panels
Spray all panels with sealer primer
Spray basecoat (then midcoat if it’s a tri-coat or kandy)
If you want stripes like on a GT then you should;
Reinstall the parts to be striped onto the car
Tape off stripes
Remove panels from car
Prep & tack
Paint stripes
Un-mask stripes
Clear coat (3 coats)
Wet sand with 800-1000 grit wet until flat
Clear coat (3 coats)
Wet sand wit 2000 grit wet until flat
Buff with cutting compound until there are no more scratches or haze
Buff with swirl mark remover
Buff with finish or final glaze
Spray detailing spray and wipe in ONE DIRECTION with microfiber cloth
Tape edges and reassemble/reinstall panels
Buff and detail again if necessary
ENJOY!!!!
This does not include prepping and spraying jams and anything else that isn’t removable from the car as well as anything else I forgot to mention. And don’t forget to have fresh filters in your booth, air lines, and always remember to clean your guns!!!

Welcome to our little world.... I know who you are:thumbsup
Why don't you tell the folks that your not some guy who bought a case of DuPont Chrome Red spray paint at Walmart:lol:thumbsup:lol
The craftsmanship I have observed coming out of your shop is first class.
Bony

dinoraja

Permanent Vacation
Feb 10, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Welcome to our little world.... I know who you are:thumbsup
Why don't you tell the folks that your not some guy who bought a case of DuPont Chrome Red spray paint at Walmart:lol:thumbsup:lol
The craftsmanship I have observed coming out of your shop is first class.
Bony

Thanks for the kind words Bony, I really appreciate it. I'm a PPG and House of Kolor guy so the DuPont WalMart special is definitely out of the question. :frown:rofl

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Did dinoraja do my GTX1? Man talk about info I need.....I want to do something else and would love them to do it.

dinoraja

Permanent Vacation
Feb 10, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Did dinoraja do my GTX1? Man talk about info I need.....I want to do something else and would love them to do it.

What build # is your X1? What kind of info are you lookin for?

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
What build # is your X1? What kind of info are you lookin for?

It is #005 the Chrome red candy color.

This one

gtx1_005_2.jpg

GTX1_005_3.jpg

dinoraja

Permanent Vacation
Feb 10, 2008
Green Bay, WI
It is #005 the Chrome red candy color.

This one

i didn't get a chance to work on that one except mocking up a roof at the rallye II. i thought you got the new style front splitter? it doesn't look like it in the pics. that is a beautiful color though, hellfire red right? i love the bone interior too. i almost painted my charger that same color but decided it'd be too much work spraying that many coats on the underbody and engine compartment without a rotisserie. when i saw yours at the rallye i wished i would 've.:bang ended up going with dark carmine red, not as much depth or flop, a little more flake and not a tri-coat or kandy. nice color though.