Paint "Respray" effect on value?

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Made an offer on a GT at a dealership. Tracked down the original owner and learned the car has had a respray of the front, fenders, and doors (car is higher mileage and had rock chips, peppering, and the like, it was used hard like intended). The dealer did not disclose the information. I made them aware of it and had paint meter readings done. My understanding is on the GT they can range from 3-9mils. Some of the readings were 25% higher in areas. Anyways, just wondering how paint work of this nature (not from an accident and clean CarFax) would effect the value? (as an aside, had a someone else call the dealership to inquire on the car and they disclosed that some rock chips had been repainted on the front of the car. Did not mention doors or fenders or extent of front repaint).

Last edited by a moderator:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(not from an accident and clean CarFax)

How do you know either is the case?
A clean car fax means nothing, really.
Lots of FGTs have had body repairs done 'off the books'.
'Would seriously suggest you have a PPI done by a FGT expert before you go any further.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
The problem as I see it is how do you document this should you go to sell in the future? Can you get dated pictures on a before/after basis? A full shop invoice with a statement why this much of the car was re-painted? Some verification would be important to me. I had to go through something like this to get my Diablo re-classified with CarFax....and it aint easy.

Reactions: Voda

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
I realize that a clean CarFax means nothing. A scar on the CarFax does. I have spoken extensively with the owner that sold it to this dealeship and trust him. He provided detailed info on the paint, etc. Had paint meter done, but not proceeding to put further time or $ into a PPI if dealer not willing to move on price. Wondering more on how known paint work effects price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have spoken extensively with the owner that sold it to this dealeship and trust him.

I once trusted someone whom I thought was a friend.
'Cost me $50K.
'Just sayin'.
But, obviously it's your money. ;)

'Hope everything works out exactly as you hope, Sir.

Reactions: 2112 and Voda

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Monetarily, on the front bumper.....nothing, re-paints are just part of miles. On peppering just behind the front wheels, almost nothing....again part of the environment where the car resides. The doors? For me, that is a tough one.....maybe $5k off.

And although you believe the previous owner now, that doesn't neccesarily travel downstream in the future.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I realize that a clean CarFax means nothing. A scar on the CarFax does.

Me personally would rather have an honest scar with a verified assessment than a bag of unknowns accompanied by a clean CarFax.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is it also not true that some body panels were re-sprayed in the factory and that extra paint thickness isn't necessarily a sign of damage?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Wondering more on how known paint work affects price.

I think your path forward should depend on how you intend to use the car (and how long you think you’ll own it).

While no one wants to overpay, if it’s for personal use and it presents well and you think you’ll keep it forever, buy it if you like it. If you think you’re likely to sell at some point in the foreseeable future, I’m not as sure I’d go with a car with history. When it’s time to sell, the ol’ Ronald Regan quote comes to mind—“If you’re explaining you’re losing.”

But if you keep it forever, the only one you have to satisfy is you. Good luck!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
If they are not willing to move on the price, then no deal.
A PPI is of utmost importance, would not buy without. I don't care if Jesus owned it, well OK I might trust him....BUT I would still get the PPI, it will need something! A PPI is nice to have as part of the car's history for a future time if you want to sell it.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I bought my car about one year ago after performing my own PPI. The owner had an excellent ducumented honest history. The car had 18,000 miles, was driven in road rallys and had prior front forward facing pitting. The car had a quality repaint on the front and mirrors to repair the pitting. I purchased this car over other cars with 9000 miles due to clearly knowing the detailed history, with disclosed flaws, I knew what I was getting. To me, knowing the history of the car was more important than worrying about a quality repaint on a small portion of the car. Of course, I was not buying a museum piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112 and Voda

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i resprayed the whole front clip on my black car and put the pictures here for everyone to see. if you can get access to before pictures that would help put your mind at ease...

Reactions: 2112

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Seems like a bra would be good to have. Anyone know where to get one? Comments about using one on the GT? After all, bras are used to protect top quality merchandise and then removed for best of show.

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Clear "bra" with protective film, yes.

Old style car bras, nyet.

Lots of good information here on latest/greatest film, installers, etc.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Clear "bra" with protective film, yes.

Old style car bras, nyet.

Lots of good information here on latest/greatest film, installers, etc.
I don't know what material Rich (GT Guy) uses but mine was still good after 7 years with no yellowing. Check with him and then find a local installer.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Can you talk to the owner of the car? He may be able to answer or clear up any concerns or questions

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
I have talked to the owner. He is a nice guy and put me in touch with the paint shop. The paint shop was great. They have a long relationship with the first owner (the car is now in the hands of a dealer) and verified what the first owner told me about him driving it hard. The first owner really put the nails to it and takes pride in having done so.
Anyways, the paint shop owner was great. He said. "That car had lots of chips, peppering, and road rash. He (the first owner) REALLY used it. Shit, I've taken pictures of all the cars I've painted and you're the first one in all these years to ever ask. Let me send you the pics."
So, I have the pics. This is way more than a couple rock chips. Entire front end, hood, cowl, etc., sides, air intakes, etc. painted.
I'm still interested in the car, IF the price is adjusted accordingly. They have it priced like a car with 20K miles that was babied. In reality, this is a 30K+ mile car that was driven way hard.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I think the problem may be that although you have the right evaluation criteria applied to it, they will find a ummmm....less informed buyer that they steamroll into the price the dealer wants. I'm super glad a private seller stepped forward in my case, dealers were grinding on every last nerve.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Speed Lingerie for a real car bra. Have had mine on since they came out and front end is spotless. Check out their website. And they stand by their products. Mirror covers too. Good to at least 160 mph

Reactions: HighHP

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I’ve the Speed Lingerie setup as well. i put It on if I’m going on a longer trip. Works great, easy on, easy off. Nothing the matter with it at all.

Reactions: HighHP