Owner Review: Porsche Carrera GT vs. Ford GT Part 1 of 4

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Night shift at the sprinkler factory, all is well...really great insight and a pleasure to read. I've always wondered what a CGT would be like to drive, but now feel I have a sense for it. Don't see one on my horizon, and I live in a fairly busy traffic area, so I'll suffer along with the FGT. Thanks again for the entertaining comparo.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Great review!!!! i have had a few messages wondering if i regret selling it yet :biggrin

for the clutch, here are a few things that i figured out that may help... the car just simply doesn't like to be granny shifted due to the rapid rpm drop as you mentioned... to get around that don't lift off the throttle all the way... counter intuitive to what Dad or Grandpa taught you (me) but it basically is rpm matching on the upshifts... obviously doesn't matter if you are full throttle power shifting cause it loves to have the gears rowed through...

first time i took my wife out in the CGT she looked at me and gasped... this is the first exotic that feels as good as the Ford GT... that about summed it up for me...

amazing car and one of my all time favorites... if i wasn't such a FGT nut, and now a plane nut... it would not have said good bye...

I am glad it has found such a good home!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Great write up and conclusion. By far, my favorite line in the entire review:
"Give the Carrera GT a piece of twisting road and it will consume it like a co-ed on a Twinky. Put it in traffic and feels as frantic as a blind dog in a meat factory"
Love the picture of the Zanardi!!!!
Can't wait to see what you buy next, and read the review!!!

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
That was the best review that I have ever read. You definitely have a way with words. Congrats on owning a great collection of cars.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
Mitty,

I have to agree. That is the best car review I have also ever read. You my friend are a master at articulating your thoughts.

I also own both and nodded my head in affirmation thoughout all four (4) parts. The CGT is truly special and also happens to be my wifes favorite of all vehicles in my collection. She often comments about how comfortable and secure she feels at speed in the CGT. I honestly belief I have a lot to do with that due to that fact that CGT requires ones full concentration and precision. This car not respected will kill you. If one puts in the time the rewards are great. It is a street legal race car.

On the other hand the GT is traditional American Muscle. The GT is like driving your first go cart. With no nanny aids to protect you, you are forced to experiment to find all the limits of the vehicle. During that learning experience you realize quite quickly that FORD has truly built an incredible machine with high marks in braking, agility, high speed stabilty, etc. Simply put, the car is easy to drive and drive hard. It wasn't long after my purchase of the GT that it was "necessary" to increase the HP (Whipple, Tune, Pipes, etc) to make things a little more challenging (For the Driver).

I love both these cars but I also share the sentiments of Ed Sims. When it comes down to a decision to chose a car to take for a spirited ride with the guys, it is always the GT. No substitute for American Muscle. I'll save the CGT for a nice ride with my wife on Sundays.

Your review was fantastic.

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My wife likes the GT's sound and ride better than the CGT. She loves the body styling of the GT better also. She has not driven either but has been a passenger in both for thousands of miles. Something tells me the FGT would be easier for her to drive.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
My wife likes the GT's sound and ride better than the CGT. She loves the body styling of the GT better also. She has not driven either but has been a passenger in both for thousands of miles. Something tells me the FGT would be easier for her to drive.

ByeEnzo,

Well the only way your going to find out is to let her have her hand at the wheel. You will be surprised how intuitive those thousand miles of seat time have aided her in driving these machines. i will never forget the time my wife begged me to give up the wheel. I agree and were driving down the highway were we enter a high speed corner and she depresses the throttle through the corner to my surprise. I am totally shocked and comment that that was the proper application of throttle through that corner. She looks at me and says "I'm a quick learner". Obviously she's a keeper.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Great review as always! I picked up my CGT about 3 months ago and while I agree on most points, our ultimate conclusion comes up different. I think my gt is quicker, and I enjoy it more. You are right the CGT is a handful, it's like driving a 2 stroke with that power band. My first time at the track in the GT I felt like Id driven the car for years, constantly howling my tires at the limit. The CGT, on the other hand, felt like I was on ice. Granted, the tires were original, and I replaced with new ps2s which has helped on the street, but I haven't been back to the track since replacing.. For comparison, my track time with the ford was 37-37.5 with original tires. CGT was 37.9-38.5. My best time in the ford with new tires is 36.1 so that's my goal next time out. The Porsche does handle better a bit, but the gt feels more stable above 150mph IMO. I also agree on the clutch, I hate driving it in traffic but it does get easier. I actually went all last week without stalling, which was a daily occurrence the first month. FYI, one option in a jam is to just drop it from 2k if you are in real hurry. The auto engage is painfully slow. Which exhaust do you have? I put awe on last week and its loud! Louder than the gt with straight pipes. I think the sound is a toss up, probably CGT is a 97% and gt is a 95%. One thing I've noticed is the gt gets far more attention and camera shots at the lights, although the Porsche doesn't exactly go unnoticed. I think the gt being red and the CGT being grey also contributes to that. I love the subtle styling of the Porsche and the spaceship rear deck. It's an amazing unique car. In the end, I choose the gt for my keeper, although I plan on keeping both. Only difference is I say they better bury me in my GT!

Cheers!

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Which exhaust do you have? I put awe on last week and its loud! Louder than the gt with straight pipes.

I also have the AWE, and yes, it's loud enough to wake the dead. That includes the residents of the neighboring counties.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Great review!!!! i have had a few messages wondering if i regret selling it yet :biggrin

for the clutch, here are a few things that i figured out that may help... the car just simply doesn't like to be granny shifted due to the rapid rpm drop as you mentioned... to get around that don't lift off the throttle all the way... counter intuitive to what Dad or Grandpa taught you (me) but it basically is rpm matching on the upshifts... obviously doesn't matter if you are full throttle power shifting cause it loves to have the gears rowed through...

first time i took my wife out in the CGT she looked at me and gasped... this is the first exotic that feels as good as the Ford GT... that about summed it up for me...

amazing car and one of my all time favorites... if i wasn't such a FGT nut, and now a plane nut... it would not have said good bye...

I am glad it has found such a good home!

Thanks for the guidance and thanks for taking such great care of the car! You have private mail :)

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Any chance of posting a video clip of the car? I would love to hear how it sounds with the AWE exhaust.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Any chance of posting a video clip of the car? I would love to hear how it sounds with the AWE exhaust.

I'll blow the dust off the gopro and see what I can do!

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
WM,

Is the car really that evil or was it just misused in an inappropriate area?

They are looking for mechanical issues, but like the FGT, I would check the age of the tires.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I think the "mechanical issue" was likely too much go pedal.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'm not digging this turn of this thread when 2 lives of avid car guys lives were lost, no matter the cause.

Sorry guys not flaming anyone, just a sad event.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Agreed. None of us know the cause of the accident and two very respected people lost their lives just as easily as any of us could. This death has bothered me more than any other death I can remember of someone I did not personally know. The car community has suffered a great loss IMHO.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed. None of us know the cause of the accident and two very respected people lost their lives just as easily as any of us could. This death has bothered me more than any other death I can remember of someone I did not personally know. The car community has suffered a great loss IMHO.

I agree, this whole awful thing that has happened has bothered me as well. Didn't know either of them, but knowing what good guys they were and car guys as well hits close to home. Life is short. God bless, them and their families.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Well said and I agree 100%

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
accidents can happen to anyone,good or not so good drivers,last year I had my car go from under me at high speed in straight line it happens so fast I don't think any driver out there that can react to it, I thank Good I walked away ,I hit a guard rail instead of a tree and pole,I know the outcome was going to be different.

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
It's painful to try to have a discussion about the relative merits of the CGT (an enjoyable diversion) in the immediate context of this terrible tragedy. The topic has been the cause of active and robust discussion among the online Carrera GT community for the last couple of days. The media has apparently become fixated on the Carrera GT and it's truly laughable to see just how fouled up their information is. Ironically, I'm pretty sure that the only effect all this misinformation will have is to grow the CGT legend. Certainly, an honest discussion of the CGT and it allegedly "scary" handling is innocent enough, but speculation about the cause of the accident in California and the conduct of the driver is clearly insensitive. I have no idea of what happened and nothing I say in this post should be interpreted as a direct reference to the accident. My post is meant as an extension of the review that opened this thread. I certainly hope this thread won't become a lurid discussion of the tragedy. May the driver and his passenger both rest in peace.

I would emphatically argue that the CGT is in no way tricky, scary, or otherwise uncouth to drive when treated with a reasonable degree of respect and common sense. As we all know, a high horsepower exotic (like our FGT) demands caution, for the simple reason that the thresholds are SO high that crossing them results in lots of troublesome kinetic ugliness. Here's an example to illustrate the point I'm trying to make. Take my favorite whipping boy, the Toyota Camry. Stop at a deserted intersection, and mash the throttle while turning left. Result: flacid acceleration followed by plowing understeer. Ugly, but benign. The only injury will be to the tread on the front tires. Now try that in a Ford GT. On cold tires. The result will be massive oversteer, which will likely result in an overcorrection and an extremely ugly trip into a ditch. Or into a tree. Or... Does that make the GT "dangerous"? No. Does it mean that you have to respect the car and use a degree of caution that the Camry does not demand? Absolutely. The CGT is no different. I think its kind of cool to own a car that challenges its driver and maybe has a bit more to give that I feel capable of asking for :)

Another example which comes to mind is the Viper ACR I owned and tracked. The aero aids on the car were really effective, meaning that at high speed on the track, the downforce made the car stick. Consequently, I could carry a ton of speed through high speed sweepers. What really spooked me was that this made the stakes so high: the faster I would go, the harder the car would stick, but the faster I went, the more deadly the consequences became when the car finally let go. This was not a dilemma I would have faced has I been driving a Mazda Miata.

The CGT is analogous. It provides an incredibly tactile driving experience, which encourages great confidence. The low cg and stiff chassis, combined with the razor sharp steering makes a guy feel like he can conquer it all. And the acceleration, holy cow. When I drive the car in the canyon, I can feel everything the car is doing beneath me, and this encourages a feeling of...invincibility. Accordingly, when I read media depictions of the car as being "notoriously difficult to handle" it makes me want to cuss. The other side of the story, however, is that the CGT is reputed to get surly when pushed past its limits of adhesion. I've never spun my CGT, or my FGT. Because I have a strong survival instinct, I have no intention of exploring either car's limits on a public road. As a matter of fact, I don't plan on exploring them on the race track either. 8/10 if fine for me, and 8/10 in a CGT is my idea of heaven.

Bottom line is that the CGT is a fierce, intense, wickedly fast car. It demands respect, but that's what makes it such an enjoyable car to own and drive. Just like the GT.

Last edited: