Overheating Issues

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
There was a recent post concerning overheating a fan speeds / effectiveness. The following pictures show the radiator cores from 2 different GTs. Both have never had any accidents. Obviously one core is significantly more effective than the other.

The owner of the vehicle with the "bad" core has complained about overheating, regardless of what has been done. Bob Ida found the differnces while identifying the root cause of the overheating issue.

Apparently the damage to the core was done either during assembly or from the radiator core manufacturer. The damage appears to be too uniform to suspect something hit it at random during assembly.

If your car is overheating would suggest checking the core to see if there is damage. A good core should allow a bright light to shine through and in fact you should be able to see through the core.

Dave:cheers

Attachments

• Goodcore.GT1.JPG
    Goodcore.GT1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 506
  • Badcore.GT1.JPG
    Badcore.GT1.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
no pics dave... ??
I did the accufab springs and water wetter. But my gal has always ran colder than my exwife's heart. :)

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
There was a recent post concerning overheating a fan speeds / effectiveness. The following pictures show the radiator cores from 2 different GTs. Both have never had any accidents. Obviously one core is significantly more effective than the other.

The owner of the vehicle with the "bad" core has complained about overheating, regardless of what has been done. Obviously the damage to the core was done either during assembly or from the radiator core manufacturer. The damage is too uniform to suspect something hit it at random during assembly.

If your car is overheating would suggest checking the core to see if there is damage. A good core should allow a bright light to shine through and in fact you should be able to see through the core.

So where are the pictures dave?

Gino

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Sorry guys I had to play with Photoshop.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dave, '05 or '06 with the bad radiator?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Dave, '05 or '06 with the bad radiator?

It was an 05, actually Gino's car.

Dave

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
It was an 05, actually Gino's car.

Dave

so is Gino's car cool (no pun intended!) now?
I remember when we went on the GT JOEY extravaganza cruise this summer....he was a little stressed about the overheating issue......its nice to know the source of the problem has been found......

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, he was pretty "hot" in Indy too! When he could wake up in time.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I remember when we went on the GT JOEY extravaganza cruise this summer....he was a little stressed about the overheating issue......its nice to know the source of the problem has been found......

Once repairs are done it should run much, much cooler, meaning normal temps. Root cause was only diagnosed on Wednesday. Various others had looked at the car and could find nothing wrong.

Dave

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area

Well it used to be a hot car......now maybe after the repair it might be cool.....I have complained about running hot since the first day I picked up the car over 2 years ago......finally....we think we found the cause... Ford want's to do the replacement......so I am waiting on the radiator to come in....but if you look at the pict closely...you can see that the core is uniformily closed.............and there are no marks to indicate that it didn't come that way from the factory. I will report after the replacement is done what I find.. but all indications are that it will cure the running hot problem. I know that there are a few more FGT's out there that run hot.... i suggest you look at the radiator core....... my thanks to Bob Ida for testing and testing and finally finding the cause....

Dr. Frank, you know...being married at times can be a problem getting up early.........especially if one goes to sleep in the early morning..lmao

Gino

M

Mark O

I have underheating issues. On a cold day (35 degrees), my temperature takes about 15-20 minutes just to get up to 165 & it gets no higher, all the while the heater is barely blowing out any cabin heat. I thought that most new cars came with 180-190 degree thermostats?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Another overheating issue that I cured with two cars, one a ferrari, the other a porsche 996 was the presence of small air bubbles in the cooling liquid. By purging the air from the system, I dropped the temps in the Ferrari by as much as 50 degrees. I have also added water wetter to nearly all of my cars, and this helps too. I know that my comments are not related to the rad. core, but nonetheless should be the first thing checked other than the thermostat, core, lines, etc.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Water wetter has some great fans and detractors. I am a fan,... also, it is very important to have the system filled properly and any air removed. Snap-on has a unit designed to remove any air from the system.

I have had the accufab springs installed with water wetter.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Another overheating issue that I cured with two cars, one a ferrari, the other a porsche 996 was the presence of small air bubbles in the cooling liquid. By purging the air from the system, I dropped the temps in the Ferrari by as much as 50 degrees. I have also added water wetter to nearly all of my cars, and this helps too. I know that my comments are not related to the rad. core, but nonetheless should be the first thing checked other than the thermostat, core, lines, etc.

Tim and Mr. Bony,

You are correct in your assumptions. After returning the car to the dealer, they bled the system and said it was fine. Of course it was not. I brought the car to Ida to have it checked. Gave him a little history, he re-bled the system correctly with the proper tools,(lot's of air in the system still) and got the temp down, but only about 9 degrees. We elected to replace the thermostat, engage the fans a little earlier, and added water wetter. Although there was an improvement, it was still way off. My normal temp. running in 5th gear was at about 220. The minute I downshifted into 3rd, about 2500 RPM, the car began to clime all the way to 240. If I kept on, it would surpass 245. Pull over, let it cool, start all over again. In all this time, Ida had been checking and checking to see what was causing this heat. Finally, after leaving him the car for the 3rd time, (after having the fans replaced by the dealer) he noticed that one fan was sucking all the air from the other. So the left one was sucking air out, but from the right fan, actually doing nothing because the air from the right fan was coming from above the hood. After careful inspection, it looked odd to him that the radiator cores were actually closed (see picts). Based on this, his assumption is that the radiator is actually doing nothing but carrying the coolant. The dealer has ordered a new radiator,based on Ida's findings, and has elected to install it. I would of liked to leave the car at Ida's. but they claim a FGT rep has to inspect it when the replacement is done. This morning I went to church to say a little prayer that this is the problem, then again what else could it be? Interesting is the fact that looking at the radiator, anyone can see that the cores were manufactured in that closed position. Is there others out there with this problem? I would venture to say def. Yes. I will report after the replacement. I'm not upset at all, knowing the speciality of these cars, it's almost like a work in progress. I'm sure other little nuisances will pop up, as we go.. All I can say is thanks for the ride..............

Gino

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Wow, thanks for helping us with your info! Hopefully all goes well from here for you!!!

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Water wetter has some great fans and detractors. I am a fan,... also, it is very important to have the system filled properly and any air removed. Snap-on has a unit designed to remove any air from the system.

I have had the accufab springs installed with water wetter.

Daniel, has there been any confirmation that the Accufab radiator hose springs actually do anything? I recall several installing them and were going to track the car but didn't see any results posted.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Overheating when??

When running hard on the street my 2005 GT runs a little hot but in racing conditions overheats severely in about 10 minnuits. How much of a factor is the screen. 05 model is much more restrictive than 06.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
When running hard on the street my 2005 GT runs a little hot but in racing conditions overheats severely in about 10 minnuits. How much of a factor is the screen. 05 model is much more restrictive than 06.

Hard to believe that it would just be due to the screen.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho

The owner of the vehicle with the "bad" core has complained about overheating, regardless of what has been done. Bob Ida found the differnces while identifying the root cause of the overheating issue.

Apparently the damage to the core was done either during assembly or from the radiator core manufacturer. The damage appears to be too uniform to suspect something hit it at random during assembly.

I had a radiator on my F-250 damaged exactly as shown with a pressure washer at a Ford dealer that thought they were doing me a favor by washing my truck after servicing.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
overheating issues

My FGT was delivered to the dealer this week for the radiator change. I was called by Mike the mechanic (Manhattan Ford) as he removed the radiator. Comparing them side by side (old/new) he noticed the the radiator that came out of the car, was oversized, I mean it had swelled. In the process of swelling, it made the core close on itself, and there was the explanation of the pict of the closed fins. The same happened on both sides, enuf that air could not be put thru the radiator...it was def closed. Now...for the reason why this happened, i would appreciate any comments from someone that might know what could of happened. This had to be an exhisting problem, way back when i purchased the car in Aug.05. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also, the engine was checked and found the head gaskets to be ok.. as someone suggested it might be. anything would be appreciated..knowing the cause would surely put me at ease...not knowing the true cause, can make it happen again. Any thoughs?

Thank you

Gino

P.S. The radiator cap will be changed, as I was told that would of caused additional pressure to do this?