Overdriving Headlights

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Really though I'd like to not have to put in a key at all as with my other cars, just leave in the pocket. Is there a mod for that?

The SHO has that feature, key in pocket. Push car start button. Kind of like it.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
This where I get all of my HID bulbs and this bulb will work with the GT and you have options all the way up to 30k http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_8&products_id=125

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
This where I get all of my HID bulbs and this bulb will work with the GT and you have options all the way up to 30k http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_8&products_id=125

Color temps other than what the HID bulb naturally produces are done with light filtering. That only reduces the total lumen output compared to a transparent type glass. Standard HID bulbs properly aimed should be more than enough for driving at reasonable speeds. Of course that may require an aim that is not DOT standard.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Color temps other than what the HID bulb naturally produces are done with light filtering. That only reduces the total lumen output compared to a transparent type glass. Standard HID bulbs properly aimed should be more than enough for driving at reasonable speeds. Of course that may require an aim that is not DOT standard.

I am by no means an expert, but I have replaced all of my HID bulbs because my wife does not have great night vision. According to her these may make an enormous difference. Check the link.

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/images/masters/ProductComparison_Auto%206d116f89-f521-4e9f-9a82-6e31053c9567.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am by no means an expert, but I have replaced all of my HID bulbs because my wife does not have great night vision. According to her these may make an enormous difference. Check the link.

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/images/masters/ProductComparison_Auto%206d116f89-f521-4e9f-9a82-6e31053c9567.jpg

Those are halogen bulbs, not HID. You can improve lighting by changing the stock halogen bulbs, athough then again you may exceed DOT standards.

I don't know of any HID bulbs with a higher lumen output than OEM.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I problem is what others lights would fit the car and can the lenses take the heat?

BlackICE

I didn't read all the other posts subsequent to this one, so forgive 'if a repeat, but, the lenses seem to have pretty much proven they CAN'T take the heat from the existing 'bulbs, have they not? :shrug (Discoloration, cracking, and whatever else?)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't read all the other posts subsequent to this one, so forgive 'if a repeat, but, the lenses seem to have pretty much proven they CAN'T take the heat from the existing 'bulbs, have they not? :shrug (Discoloration, cracking, and whatever else?)

I don't know the extent of the cracking in the US. But the export cars that had the lights on all of the time seem to have a higher rate of cracks developing in the headlight lenses. Some US cars have reported this as well. My guess is extreme heat cycling may be causing the problem, Canadian cars seeming to have more reported issues. Another reason not to drive your car in cold winter night.

Of course if you never turning your lights, on even to test them in the garage, they should last forever!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I don't know the extent of the cracking in the US. But the export cars that had the lights on all of the time seem to have a higher rate of cracks developing in the headlight lenses. Some US cars have reported this as well. My guess is extreme heat cycling may be causing the problem, Canadian cars seeming to have more reported issues. Another reason not to drive your car in cold winter night.

Of course if you never turning your lights, on even to test them in the garage, they should last forever!

:tap: :skep :mad :slap:slap:slap