Overdriving Headlights

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I did my first night drive in the country a week ago, and found I had to be very careful with the headlights on dim. They have a definate bright to total black line on the road ahead, and even way on both sides of the road. It is totaly dark above this line. I don't think I can adjust them up, because if I hit a dip or bump, oncoming traffic thinks I'm flashing my lights at them. Saw a deer beside the road when it was way too late to avoid her if she had ventured a little further, and I don't think I was going over 65. Brights are great though, and damn I love this car!
Has anyone else noticed this?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I have the complaint about not being able to see road hazards (at night) until it's potentially too late. I thougt it was because the car rides so low and I don't have the same perspective as when I drive a sedan.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I haven't noticed it, but that blue light on the dash for the brights is way too bright.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
wmjim said:
I did my first night drive in the country a week ago, and found I had to be very careful with the headlights on dim. They have a definate bright to total black line on the road ahead, and even way on both sides of the road. It is totaly dark above this line. I don't think I can adjust them up, because if I hit a dip or bump, oncoming traffic thinks I'm flashing my lights at them. Saw a deer beside the road when it was way too late to avoid her if she had ventured a little further, and I don't think I was going over 65. Brights are great though, and damn I love this car!
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes you're not alone.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anyone know if the bulbs can be changed out to brighter ones? The stock ones are not Xenon are they?

myheritage

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
San Diego, CA
headlights

Yes, I've noticed the same problem. On other cars I've owned, I've used aircraft
landing lights. GE4537's They put out a million candlepower and draw about 15 amps each. Do you think the GT electrical system would handle that?

I can tell you on my other vehicles, they light up signs 2 miles away. (Had them on my 4-wheel drive truck.) Anybody know an aftermarket light that would do that? I'm going to look for them at SEMA.

Keep the greasy side down... Steven

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
myheritage said:
Yes, I've noticed the same problem. On other cars I've owned, I've used aircraft
landing lights. GE4537's They put out a million candlepower and draw about 15 amps each. Do you think the GT electrical system would handle that?

Interesting - I don't think the stock harness will handle that kind of draw.
How well did these lights perform since most aircraft operate on 28V systems?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe our GT's already have HID (Xenon) lights consider to be the best legally available on cars. They are the most efficient lights energy wise, but the problem is they are only 35 watts or less. The fuses for each headlight is 25 amps, so you should be able to draw more than 100 watts on each side without trouble.

I problem is what others lights would fit the car and can the lenses take the heat?

On my older cars that took "regular bulbs" I replaced the stock 35/50 bulbs with 80/100 watts halogens bulbs. Also I wired the low beams to stay on even if the high beams are selected. It is a lot of light on a 4 headlight system.

BlackICE

myheritage

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
San Diego, CA
The aircraft landing lights GE4537's, are 12 volt, 15 amps. I wouldn't replace the existing lights with these, they wouldn't mount in the normal headlight position and they probably would melt the plastic lens. My thought was, like on the Ford GT 500, in the lower grill are two big round hid lights. Before, I ran a direct line from the battery side of the fuse panel to a high amp relay, typically a GM electric seat relay, directly to the lights. I ran a wire from the battery side of the fuse panel to the relay, from the relay to the aircraft landing lights. I run a low amp wire to the fuse panel, to the high beam switch, which then activated the relay, thus turning on the aircraft landing lights. They are a sealed beam which makes them legal in CA. Make sure you take a cleaner and remove the wording "aircraft landing light" off the bulb. You have to be careful when approaching traffic, the lights will be blinding a mile away.

Keep the greasy side down -- Steven

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Xenon lights are required to be aimed low because they are so bright. This affects the GT more so because it has such a low profile. The other cars I've own with xenon headlight have the same "bright to total black line" but it is much further down the road. I suspect that the GT along with other very low profile new cars have limited projection potential before they begin to blind oncoming traffic.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can turn a screw to adjust them higher if you wish to.

BlackICE

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I suspect that alot of us have replaced the heavy stock exhaust system with lighter ones which has had the effect of lowering the aim of our lights. Is there a post somewhere about how to re-aim the headlights? Do I need to access them thru the fender well?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
All true - the first and only 2 complaints I had on my car back in 2006 were:
1. Low Beams on headlights are useless
2. AM radio reception is terrible.
Neither could really be 'fixed'
so I live with them.
AJB

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
All true - the first and only 2 complaints I had on my car back in 2006 were:
1. Low Beams on headlights are useless
2. AM radio reception is terrible.
Neither could really be 'fixed'
so I live with them.
AJB

There's not much one can do about the lights. Maybe some Dakar type roof mounted 1,000,000 candle power units would help.

There is a updated am a.m. "fix". Mine went from terrible to just barely tolerable. And only when stopped.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I suspect that alot of us have replaced the heavy stock exhaust system with lighter ones which has had the effect of lowering the aim of our lights. Is there a post somewhere about how to re-aim the headlights? Do I need to access them thru the fender well?

Simple adjustment; only up and down, no left and right.

http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/headlamp.htm

All you do is pop the bonnet and use a #6 allen or bondus wrench. Takes about 10 seconds or so/ per side.

Good luck.

Pete S.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
anycar that is very fast will accelerate faster than your headlights can handle. at 200 mph you are covering a football field in 1 second. no headlights on any car can keep up with that. this is one of the reasons that i very seldom drive my GT at night and when i do i never drive faster than what my headlights can handle.

when it comes time for me to haul azz i do it in the daytime.

safety first......

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I also have had a problem with vision during night driving but I finally figured out it's because my windshield is tinted.:ack

I avoid night driving at any cost due to living in the country the wild animals are everywhere:eek

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I can attest to this 100% :lol

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
anycar that is very fast will accelerate faster than your headlights can handle. at 200 mph you are covering a football field in 1 second. no headlights on any car can keep up with that. this is one of the reasons that i very seldom drive my GT at night and when i do i never drive faster than what my headlights can handle.

safety first......

I do not think the light travels any faster when we go faster. Light speed, c is a constant:biggrin It is our human brain and nervous system that cannot keep up at night.

Just safer to go fast in the daylight.:cheers

Interesting point I wanted to add is my new SHO, has automatic correction of the high beams. The other night on a dark local road, the high beam went on as I was turning a corner and it it lit up a dear that was contemplating the question of crossing the road!

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
My problem is my knee bumping the alarm fob which causes the key to turn backwards and shut off the car, happened twice the other day. Got the Exoticare "switchblade key" but haven't programmed and cut it yet. Guess I need to separate the alarm part and leave in my pocket til I get off my butt and do it.

Really though I'd like to not have to put in a key at all as with my other cars, just leave in the pocket. Is there a mod for that?