Outrageous Registration Fees

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
In Virginia, we pay 3% sales tax on cars and then an annual property tax of 4.57% (varies a bit by county) of assessed value. My GT was assessed at $165,000, so do the math. My annual fees are higher on my car than my property tax on my home. BTW, we're moving to Florida in a few months. hehe.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In Virginia, we pay 3% sales tax on cars and then an annual property tax of 4.57% (varies a bit by county) of assessed value. My GT was assessed at $165,000, so do the math. My annual fees are higher on my car than my property tax on my home. BTW, we're moving to Florida in a few months. hehe.

Wow, makes CA registration look good.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ well, that is a prime post for deletion.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Gee....I guess we have it pretty good up here in Washington, $78.00 for plates and mine are personalized, no income tax, somewhat cheap property tax rates, no smog check bullsh*t, and sales tax free Oregon is right next door. Of course it does rain a little bit up here.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
^^^ well, that is a prime post for deletion.

At times it depends.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Oklahoma is a sham as well. If my GT is sold ten times, it still gets hit with excise tax at each sale.

Most vehicles are assessed excise tax on the basis of their purchase price, provided that purchase price is within 20% of the average retail value for that specific model vehicle. If the purchase price provided is not within that 20% range, a taxable value within that range is established for excise tax assessment purposes.

The purchase price may include a deduction for any dealer rebates or discounts.
The purchase price may not include a deduction for any traded in vehicle.
For new vehicles, a copy of the purchase agreement or bill of sale from the dealer is required.
For used vehicles, either purchase price listed in assignment portion of conforming title certificate, a copy of a bill of sale or purchase agreement, or a notarized Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price (Form 722-1 available for downloading from the Forms section of this site) is required.

Standard vehicle excise tax is assessed as follows:

New Vehicle: 3.25% of the purchase price (or taxable value, if different)
Used Vehicle: $20.00 on the 1st $1500.00 of value + 3.25% of the remainder

Here in Oregon there is no sales tax and as far as I know, no property except for real estate is subject to the property tax. For my GT, initial registration cost was $194 including the first two years license. Every two years subsequently it will cost $86. If I had vanity plates it would cost $124-154 for every two years depending on the plate. Not an excessive amount. You guys can all move to Texas if you want, I'm staying here!

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Here in the Big and Beautiful State of Wyoming, there is a property tax on cars. Which adds up to around $750/ yr to keep the GT on the road.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
One would think with the ridiculous fees California charges us to drive our cars on the street for one year that the state budget would not be billions in the hole.....$1,270 for my GT this month. :ack
Please tell me, brother GT owners who are located elsewhere, that at least you don't get hosed like this...:frown

Humm.. Just paid $1023 and I live in Orange County, CA! Maybe the DMV thinks it's a Mustang GT!:wink

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
JJ

We r neighbors and I paid like $600

Did get NY'r discount ?

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
In Connecticut we pay tax on the car as property just like we do on the house. Mill rate changes from year to year. Divide value of the car by 1,000 and multiply
by the mill rate. For 2012, close to 4K.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
JJ

We r neighbors and I paid like $600

Did get NY'r discount ?

I didn't, but it seems there's a wide variation in CA from 600 to 1500. Obviously, I donnated to the wrong party.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
only cost me $1,100 this year...... but then i don't live in Maricopa county either :biggrin

Down to $750 this year....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
On my '68 SL paid $200...they asked for purchase price $4k (have bill of sale) v. Six figure restoration (lost)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
On my '68 SL paid $200...they asked for purchase price $4k (have bill of sale) v. Six figure restoration (lost)

A think a night out with a CA blond will cost you more.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
CA reg now about $400...thanks Jerry

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Just paid the taxes in North Carolina on the FGT. $332.30 for Tax and plates ($63.00) and $40 for the emission testing

Appraised value is now $43,860.00

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I had no idea your car was red...............................

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Just paid the taxes in North Carolina on the FGT. $332.30 for Tax and plates ($63.00) and $40 for the emission testing

Virginia (Fairfax County) appraised mine at $165k in 2012 and $185k in 2013. 3.59% property tax annually on appraised value plus registration fees.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
You a FL resident now? That's a crazy fee to have to pay every year. Over six grand every year on just the one car? Wow.