Option for the trunk liner ¼ turn fasteners

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I’m on my 3rd set of ¼ turn fasteners for the front storage tray. I was tired of them always flopping around and never really securing the liner. In my case, the originals lasted about one year and the replacements weren’t much longer. Maybe the AZ heat :confused I replaced them with a few Single Head Christmas Tree clips, which appear to offer a solid connection. I’m thinking that Nylon Arrow Clips may offer additional holding power but I’m not 100% certain. Does anyone have experience with these fasteners or maybe another suggestion?

IMG_0838.jpg

I only removed the liner to bleed the brakes and charge the battery. I did the brakes this weekend and added a Battery Tender Plus to prevent any short-term access issues.

IMG_0834.jpg

John

Aug 25, 2006
John you did good; thank you for the suggestion

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I simply left the retainers out. No rattling or adverse effects whatsoever.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Single Head Christmas Tree Clips????

Single Head Christmas Tree Clips?!?! What is a Christmas Tree Clip? Where do you get them? What do they clip on the tree? :confused

My original clips need to be replaced too.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Xmas trees are a slang term used of the plastic push pins used to assemble many of the parts on FGT. Fender liners for example. I don't like them much because they are a PITA to remove. It is more secure than the 1/4 pins but you need tools to remove them. Generally they are once use pins, the 2nd time around they don't have the same holding power.

Aug 25, 2006
Xmas trees are a slang term used of the plastic push pins used to assemble many of the parts on FGT. Fender liners for example. I don't like them much because they are a PITA to remove. It is more secure than the 1/4 pins but you need tools to remove them. Generally they are once use pins, the 2nd time around they don't have the same holding power.

John and I discussed this very issue before the post was made and he assured me that even though in typical applications where the press in retainers aka chriistmas trees are one use in this case they go in snug however not tight as the result removing them is easy with no damge caused to them as such they can be reused. He also shared with me a cool little tool he located that removes them easy with no cosmetic damage.

Takes care

Shadowman

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Single Head Christmas Tree Clips?!?! What is a Christmas Tree Clip? Where do you get them? What do they clip on the tree? :confused

My original clips need to be replaced too.

Chip

:lol The nearest would be the Ace Hardware down on 90th and Via Linda. Their hardware section is extensive.
Christmas Tree Clip.jpg

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
John you did good; thank you for the suggestion

Shadowman

Thank you Bill.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you Bill.

You are very welcome

Here are a few pictures of them as they are an OEM Ford parts bin item; used throughout the product line

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC07332.JPG
    DSC07332.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC07333.JPG
    DSC07333.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC07334.JPG
    DSC07334.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 286

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale

I completely agree that they can be a PITA to remove but a spark plug boot puller works like a charm. Absolutely no damage to the liner and a quick pull is all that is required.

spark pulg boot puller.jpg

Hopefully, by installing the Battery Tender connector, I won't need to pull the liner until the next brake bleed.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Shadowman

Thanks for posting pics.

John

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I found that by putting the fasteners in a little plastic bag they never break and the boot stays in place without them if you keep the lid closed when driving. :rofl

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I found that by putting the fasteners in a little plastic bag they never break and the boot stays in place without them if you keep the lid closed when driving. :rofl

My clips sort of disapeared over time, so I also have to keep the boot closed while driving. The Christmas tree clip looks like a good alternative.

You do not have to water the clip at all, do you? :lol