Opinion on this car appreciated

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
In correspondence, the seller's email had "Ford" in it. He reports that his family has owned a Ford dealership for around 60 years if I'm not mistaken. He reports this is his father's car and he is selling it for him. The seller was very pleasant on the phone and wanted to disclose all about the car. I was a bit confused in that he has been a Ford dealer, etc., for years, and yet didn't seem to know much about GT's. He also asked me what the cars sell for and what he should ask for a price.
He did contact me and correct things in that he said he was wrong and the part was painted at a local body shop. He included an invoice for approx. $30K that the insurance company paid. He also provided pics of the body shop as they retain the damaged clam shell and refuse to give it to him. They want something like $8,000 for the damaged part and said they are going to sell it.
Not being judgmental of the seller or the body shop, but look at the pic and judge for yourself (sorry can't figure out how to insert a pic from my computer)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Here it is state law that you can have your old parts back with out having to pay for them.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
refuse to give him back the damaged clam shell? technically it is his unless they worked out some kind of discount or prorated fee to take into account the cost of the retained clamshell.

this sounds all kinds of wrong to me.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
He didnt pay for it, insurance did so it belongs to them.

I'd like to see pics of damaged clamshell since in walking around mine a few times I can't see how you could hit the clamshell without hitting a wheel and pushing in a half shaft or doing a major rearranging of the rear fascia.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
He didnt pay for it, insurance did so it belongs to them.

I'd like to see pics of damaged clamshell since in walking around mine a few times I can't see how you could hit the clamshell without hitting a wheel and pushing in a half shaft or doing a major rearranging of the rear fascia.

Tall truck?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tall truck?

Funny. I was going to edit in " unless it was a monster truck with a 6 foot lift" :)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Tall truck?

if insurance kept it that makes sense, however the way I read his comment was that the body shop kept it, but the way its written it is a bit unclear.

VetteFish

Sep 27, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Personally, I would hold out for a no-stories car unless it is a screaming deal and passes a PPI by someone reputable.