Open Track, Norcal Shelby Group at Sears Point/Infineon Aug 2-3

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
If anyone is interested there will be a bunch of awesome Ford race cars and Shelby's zipping around Infineon Raceway in Sonoma August 2nd and 3rd. I will be there with my Laguna Seca on Sunday the 3rd for open track. Pretty resaonable price for an awesome track setup.

Link below, come one come all:

http://www.norcal-saac.org/mininats/

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi Mike

Would you know if Norcal Shelby Group would consider an Ariel Atom as an open wheel car? It does have "fenders" at all four corners. I use it for most of my track drivng.

thx

GTED

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the information Mike!

Sonoma Raceway has real strict sound decibel limits. Do you know if they are lifted for the Shelby event?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Laguna has very strict DB; it is now mostly 91 or 92db this year. Sonoma, however, is mostly 103db, so it is fairly mild-mod friendly.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Laguna has very strict DB; it is now mostly 91 or 92db this year. Sonoma, however, is mostly 103db, so it is fairly mild-mod friendly.
FRPP rear exit headers would never pass and even X or H pipes with CATs probably won't pass the 103 limit.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
FRPP rear exit headers would never pass and even X or H pipes with CATs probably won't pass the 103 limit.

There are a lot of Cobras that also won't pass 103 db...has anyone checked if this regulation limit is in force for this event?

In their rules for open track events, they specify -

4.1.11 MUFFLERS

Mufflers are required on all cars. No open exhausts will be allowed. The exhaust system must be able to meet the sound limit for the venue listed below:

Thunderhill Raceway 103dB(A)
Sonoma Raceway 103dB(A)
Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca 90 or 92dB(A) unless otherwise specified

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There are a lot of Cobras that also won't pass 103 db...has anyone checked if this regulation limit is in force for this event?

In their rules for open track events, they specify -

4.1.11 MUFFLERS

Mufflers are required on all cars. No open exhausts will be allowed. The exhaust system must be able to meet the sound limit for the venue listed below:

Thunderhill Raceway 103dB(A)
Sonoma Raceway 103dB(A)
Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca 90 or 92dB(A) unless otherwise specified

I don't think the built in "mufflers" on your headers count. :lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ok, I drive at Sear Pt a lot. It's 103db & my GT won't make it unless I go a gear or 2 higher into turn 11. The sound meter is near there. For the rest of the track I am loud & on the gas. I actually take it easy from turn 10 to turn 1. More of a Miata than a GT track though.

Ed

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I will check on the noise limits for everyone. I will get back to you shortly. I gotta think it's lifted with the Vinatge cobras and 65 and 66's with oen headers running around.

Mike

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Ok, I drive at Sear Pt a lot. It's 103db & my GT won't make it unless I go a gear or 2 higher into turn 11. The sound meter is near there. For the rest of the track I am loud & on the gas. I actually take it easy from turn 10 to turn 1. More of a Miata than a GT track though.

Ed

Would be cool to see the GT's out there with the Cobra's and 65 and 66 GT350's. Gonna be a ton of Ford Nuts there, GTs will be more than welcome. I am running my 2012 Laguna Seca Kendall built, it's loud as hell so I will taking Ed's advice in turn 11:)

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I will confirm this but the first report back is that the limit is 105DB for this event. Besides the nascar race this is the biggest event they have here each year. Put on by the Norcal Shelby Club.