Ok, need some new whipple friendly tires- Pzero Corsas or Potenzas?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Ok guys, my whipple tune is finished and it's time for some traction, as there naturally no longer is any to speak of with those terrifically hard Goodyears. So I've been keeping up to date with the success of the Bridgestone Scuderia spec rears and GT3 front combo but I need to know : has anyone tried the Corsa's yet? I want to push the button and get some rubber on the way from the US as neither rear spec is imported here unsurprisingly, but I also don't want to be a guinea pig in this scenario either.

Any real world feedback on the Pirellis from owners who have tried them would be appreciated. I have more than enough feedback on the Bridgestones. For those that fear the 60 wear rating of the Corsa's, I don't given the anticipated low use of my car going forward. At worst I'll take off the stock rims if the wear is too much and go with my original plan of aftermarket wheels, keeping the stocks for track days.

I read that John B has bought the Corsa in a post he made back on May 10. John any feedback yet man?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Very pleased with M Pilot Sports

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Very pleased with M Pilot Sports

They also refered to as the PS2 yeah? In which case I should probably put them on the list of considerations too. I've had plenty of good experiences in the past with pilot sports on other cars. Although it does strike me that the wear rating is still 220 according to Tirerack for the PS2, a fair bit more still than the Potenzas at 140.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Pirelli PZero Corsa Systems. 235/40-18, 345/35-19

So far I like the Pirellis quite a bit. I have not driven them on the track yet
only street driving and a trip to the drag strip.

Look
The car sits a little lower on the Pirellis -.46" front -.21" rear, 0.25" more rake. The rears are 30mm wider than stock and Buldge a little bit in the sidewall. They are probably on the boarder of too wide for the stock rims. Overall they look fine on the car and I like the aggressive looking tread pattern.

Street driving
In street driving they feel great. You can tell they are much stickier, the car feels really planted on exit ramps where the Goodyears would loose grip. Another testament to the stickiness is little rocks pinging off the inner fender wells, this did not happen with the Goodyears. The car drives better on the street with the Pirellis than the Hoosier R6 DOT legal tires. The Hoosier's tended to hunt side to side quite a bit on tar strips on the highway likely due to their only tread pattern being two straight longitudnal groves. They required full "hands on" steering and were kind of tiring on a 4 hour trip to Watkins Glen. The Pirellis feel just as sticky but dont wander like the Hoosiers did.

Track
To Be determined, but I think they will be right up there with the Hoosiers and vastly superior to the Goodyears.

Drag Strip
Be careful here - Run 32 psi pressure, not lower. I started out w 15psi rear and about 3/4 way down the strip the car started an increasing amplitude oscillation on the rear tires. Kind of scary and required a lift. I think this was due to the combination of the low pressure and slightly bulging sidewalls allowing a litttle too much lateral motion. At 25 psi the oscillation was much better but still there, at 32 psi there was no oscillation. My 60' times were better on the Pirellis (1.89 vs 2.2) although part of that was probably me improving my technique as well. Ran 10.78 / 133 on Pirellis vs 11.2 / 133 on Goodyyears.

Last edited:

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Pirelli PZero Corsa Systems. 235/40-18, 345/35-19

So far I like the Pirellis quite a bit. I have not driven them on the track yet
only street driving and a trip to the drag strip.

Look
The car sits a little lower on the Pirellis -.46" front -.21" rear, 0.25" more rake. The rears are 30mm wider than stock and Buldge a little bit in the sidewall. They are probably on the boarder of too wide for the stock rims. Overall they look fine on the car and I like the aggressive looking tread pattern.

Street driving
In street driving they feel great. You can tell they are much stickier, the car feels really planted on exit ramps where the Goodyears would loose grip. Another testament to the stickiness is little rocks pinging off the inner fender wells, this did not happen with the Goodyears. The car drives better on the street with the Pirellis than the Hoosier R6 DOT legal tires. The Hoosier's tended to hunt side to side quite a bit on tar strips on the highway likely due to their only tread pattern being two straight longitudnal groves. They required full "hands on" steering and were kind of tiring on a 4 hour trip to Watkins Glen. The Pirellis feel just as sticky but dont wander like the Hoosiers did.

Track
To Be determined, but I think they will be right up there with the Hoosiers and vastly superior to the Goodyears.

Drag Strip
Be careful here - Run 32 psi pressure, not lower. I started out w 15psi rear and about 3/4 way down the strip the car started an increasing amplitude oscillation on the rear tires. Kind of scary and required a lift. I think this was due to the combination of the low pressure and slightly bulging sidewalls allowing a litttle too much lateral motion. At 25 psi the oscillation was much better but still there, at 32 psi there was no oscillation. My 60' times were better on the Pirellis (1.89 vs 2.2) although part of that was probably me improving my technique as well. Ran 10.78 / 133 on Pirellis vs 11.2 / 133 on Goodyyears.

Hi John, thank you! Exactly the info I was after. Particularly the street use, very handy. I'm pretty sure the Pirellis are going to suit me down to a tee.:cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hoosiers rock

Love the Hoosiers. Made for the GT! Same size, exact fit on OEM rims & sticky as hell!

Ed

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Love the Hoosiers. Made for the GT! Same size, exact fit on OEM rims & sticky as hell!

Ed

Yep, and the factory boys tested with em...
I love my hoosiers as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Here are my guess as to close to stock diameters tires that can be mounted to the stock rims sizes on the GT. Note optimum rims sizes may be wider than stock. These are listed from least sticky longest wear, most protection from road hazards to most sticky , quickest wear, least protection from road hazards. Based on treadwear ratings, user feedback and my ignorant opinion.

Bony's choice of PS2 are not listed since they don't fit standard rim sizes and are not close to the stock tire's diameter.

Stock Goodyear F1
Bridgestone FE50A (note - wider than stock rims would be better)
Pirelli P Corsa (note - no corresponding front tire, best with wider rear rim)
Hoosier

Only you can decide the tradeoffs between the differing performance metrics. I consider Corsa much like Hoosiers, but with more tread than a simply two rings. I believe Corsa have been supplied as OEM on a few cars, so they don't have the "don't use on the road" disclaimer of the Hoosier.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Here are my guess as to close to stock diameters tires that can be mounted to the stock rims sizes on the GT. Note optimum rims sizes may be wider than stock. These are listed from least sticky longest wear, most protection from road hazards to most sticky , quickest wear, least protection from road hazards. Based on treadwear ratings, user feedback and my ignorant opinion.

Bony's choice of PS2 are not listed since they don't fit standard rim sizes and are not close to the stock tire's diameter.

Stock Goodyear F1
Bridgestone FE50A (note - wider than stock rims would be better)
Hoosier

Only you can decide the tradeoffs between the differing performance metrics. I consider Corsa much like Hoosiers, but with more tread than a simply two rings. I believe Corsa have been supplied as OEM on a few cars, so they don't have the "don't use on the road" disclaimer of the Hoosier.

Thanks, I appreciate your points. I am thinking the Corsas are the front runners. The Hoosiers just seem way to track orientated and compromised for regular street use. As I've read many times even Hoosier themselves don't advocate serious street apps with their tires.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
They also refered to as the PS2 yeah? In which case I should probably put them on the list of considerations too. I've had plenty of good experiences in the past with pilot sports on other cars. Although it does strike me that the wear rating is still 220 according to Tirerack for the PS2, a fair bit more still than the Potenzas at 140.

Should have stated I am running on 3 piece Asanti 19" and 20" PS2's... Did keep the stock air.. Just joshing!...filled with Nitrogen - Makers Mark combo :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Should have stated I am running on 3 piece Asanti 19" and 20" PS2's... Did keep the stock air.. Just joshing!...filled with Nitrogen - Makers Mark combo :)

Nitrogen is over hyped. It is better than standard air. However, Nitrogen compare to dry air (with the water removed) is just as pressure stable is N due to temperatures changes. However with N you don't get oxidation of the inside of the tires and rims. I don't think that is too bad, since the outside of the rims and tire are subject to oxidation anyway and in practice it is not an issue.

I fill my tires with air from my compressor that is fed through water traps in the plumbing, 2 filters for one for dirt and moisture and another for oil, then finally it runs through dessecant to remove even more water.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have also carefully added 1 part Martini Rossi Sweet vermouth and a dash Angastora Bitters to the 3 parts Makers with the Nitrogen. My Michliens really seem happy with the special Bony blend. All mixed with a special solid silver Christofle bar ware set. :)

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
I have also carefully added 1 part Martini Rossi Sweet vermouth and a dash Angastora Bitters to the 3 parts Makers with the Nitrogen. My Michliens really seem happy with the special Bony blend. All mixed with a special solid silver Christofle bar ware set. :)

Hmmm, wonder if I can extrapolate this to use my Angostura 1824 rum and possibly a dash of coke!

:cheers

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006

Pirelli does now make the corresponding front for the PZero Corsas, 235/40-18, which is why I finally put them on.

Also FYI - the Hoosier R6's are not exactly the same size as the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars, but quite close. The front is 10mm wider and 0.62" smaller in diameter while the rear is identical. This lowers the front 0.31" and increases rake 0.31". The wider and shorter fronts will move both the low speed mechanical bias and high speed aerodynamic bias towards oversteer, although not in a huge way. On track they feel great.

Stock: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercup
F 235/45-18 26.32" dia, R 315/40-19 28.92" dia

Hoosier R6:
F 245/40 -18 25.7" dia, R 315/40-19 28.9" dia

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
John B, thanks for the update on the tires. The front Corsa is a little smaller in diameter that even the Hoosier. Anyway how do the Corsas compare to the Hoosiers?

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
On the road the Pirellis are much better, the fronts dont wander and hunt like the Hoosiers do. Needless to say the Pirellis are also much better in the wet than Hoosiers due to the tread pattern. I have not had the Pirellis on the track yet but I suspect they will be on par with the Hoosiers as they are very soft and sticky.

Last edited:

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
On the road the Pirellis are much better, the fronts dont wander and hunt like the Hoosiers do. Needless to say the Pirellis are also much better in the wet than Hoosiers due to the tread pattern. I have not had the Pirellis on the track yet but I suspect they will be on par with the Hoosiers as they are very soft and sticky.

Yeah, I would agree fully with you there, the Hoosiers just seem way to track compromised for the road to me. Plus, it doesn't help that Hoosier strongly warn against relying on their tires for road use, due to these compromises.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Pirelli Corsa vs Hoosier R6

No way are the Pirelli P-Zeroes as sticky as the Hoosiers. Shaved to 4.5/32 they are close. Along with the Pilot Sport Cups, BFG R1s, Yoka Advans, Kumho Ecstas etc the DOT approved track tires are all sticky, but the Hoosiers rule the adhesive world! Next to slicks that is.

Hoosier makes it's statement regarding not for road use to protect itself. They are shaved to ideal traction depth while the others come molded high. If you shave the Pilot Sport Cups they look like the Hoosiers with the 2 DOT grooves. They are all safe tires, on the road or track; but, are more prone to road hazards at 4.5 or less.

Hoosier made the 315/40 x 19 R6 just for us! They are made in the USA like our cars!

Ed

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Hoosier made the 315/40 x 19 R6 just for us! They are made in the USA like our cars!

Ed

Ed, so they make a 20"?

All the best...
Rick

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
no 20" sticky tires - yet

Rick - There are no sticky tires in 20". There will be someday. I actually like my 18" rear CCW-14 wheels with the high profile Goodyear G19 slicks (28.5" dia). Looks like an old school GT40.http://www.ccwheel.com Click on Gallery & look at my GT with high profile tires! So retro.

Ed