Oil pump Belt, When to change?

larryb512

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 2, 2016
Austin Tx
I changed all the belts 3 years ago. I am in for an oil change and discussing changing 3 yr old Oil pump belt. My car drives about 500 miles per year and has 3200 miles total,
What is the current thoughts on when to change? I see different ideas on 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 10 yrs,?
Looks like there are none available. Anyone tried the alt belts discussed?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If a GT sits for long periods of time (months), I'd maybe thinking about changing every 3-5 years. For a car that is started at least monthly, I'd say that every 10 years is a reasonable interval. The Continental alternative belt is readily available. We've now been using on a couple of dozen GTs with absolutely no issues.

Reactions: analogdesigner

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The manual says change it very 30,000 miles or after three years if vehicle has not been operated

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Not a fan of changing for "NO'" reason!
However, for an externally driven oil pump, "better safe, then sorry!".
That said, I'm not aware of many oil pump belt failures for this application.
Just saying...............!
Best,
Mark

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Not a fan of changing for "NO'" reason!
However, for an externally driven oil pump, "better safe, then sorry!".
That said, I'm not aware of many oil pump belt failures for this application.
Just saying...............!
Best,
Mark
I changed mine recently after 15yrs and the integrity still looked good....belts were quality built,but would agree with Nota4re’s recommendation of ten year change cycle going forward (for cars regularly used).

Reactions: Cadster

larryb512

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 2, 2016
Austin Tx
If a GT sits for long periods of time (months), I'd maybe thinking about changing every 3-5 years. For a car that is started at least monthly, I'd say that every 10 years is a reasonable interval. The Continental alternative belt is readily available. We've now been using on a couple of dozen GTs with absolutely no issues.

Thanks very much. This helped a bunch. I ordered the Continental belt today and will let my mechanic decide to change a 3 yr old one or run a while longer.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
What is the part number and order site for the Continental belt?

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
What is the part number and order site for the Continental belt?

Continental Y-720 Silent-Sync. Available at Amazon for about $40.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Thank you.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Have to say this is perplexing. I just competed an oil change so I've got the car on my lift and can change the pump belt. I ordered the Y-720 since the ford parts guy gave me a bunch of crap about the ford belt. I'm waiting for the new belt and have the cover off. The belt looks perfect with 5000 miles on it. Making me crazy changing it but since the new one is on the way I guess I'll do it. The manual says to change it at 30,000 miles or if the car sits un used for 3 years. Maybe 15 years trumps that. My belt sure looks like new. Geeeez!

Reactions: extrap

mach1pannu

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2019

I wish I would have known about this a year ago...couldn't find an oem belt. Thanks for sharing.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Have to say this is perplexing. I just competed an oil change so I've got the car on my lift and can change the pump belt. I ordered the Y-720 since the ford parts guy gave me a bunch of crap about the ford belt. I'm waiting for the new belt and have the cover off. The belt looks perfect with 5000 miles on it. Making me crazy changing it but since the new one is on the way I guess I'll do it. The manual says to change it at 30,000 miles or if the car sits un used for 3 years. Maybe 15 years trumps that. My belt sure looks like new. Geeeez!
I'm there with you. Belts look perfect. Everything is off, what's another hour to change them since I have them on the shelf. Hopefully I can toss the originals, but, I'll probably keep them for, "who knows what?".

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'm there with you. Belts look perfect. Everything is off, what's another hour to change them since I have them on the shelf. Hopefully I can toss the originals, but, I'll probably keep them for, "who knows what?".

In 30 years, they will be worth 100 times what they are today in order to give an owner a 100% assembly-line stock car to roll out of his trailer and onto the grass for concours judging.

Reactions: GT@50

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have two original belts I bought in 2006. I'll save them for that guy.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
just out of curiosity, does anyone know of an oil pump belt failure?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
just out of curiosity, does anyone know of an oil pump belt failure?
When i changed mine it was indistinguishable from the new bely, so I’d be surprised if there are failures