Oil Presure

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
I know this may have been talked about my oil presure gauge drops to 0 psi at idle anyone know if this is the sending unit or am I in big trouble

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
On my car and on my friend's it was the sending unit. You are probably o.k. to resume breathing.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Most likely Dave is correct but this is not a symptom to be taken lightly. I wouldn't drive the car until you have it checked out. I would flatbed it to the dealer and don't let them start it until they have checked the sending unit.

A couple of obvious things - but neither can be done without starting the car. So, maybe you have done this previously.

1. Check the oil level. This should be done within 1 minute of turning the car off.

2. When started cold, do you have oil pressure? When cold, these cars will run higher oil pressures and even a tempermental sending unit would likely show pressure cold.

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Good presure at start when it gets warm it becomes intermiten oh ya I did just change the oil

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
9.5 quarts of 5w-50, right? Good that you have pressure on cold start. Probably just a sending unit problem.

Aug 25, 2006
All good suggestions

I am aware of several of the OP sending units either failing but most have simply started acting funny as such I think that your fix is quick and painless

Takes care

Shadowman

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Thank's Guy's I know the pump is working. I just put 120 miles on the track at BIR and had a blast

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
What type of oil pressure range is considered normal for these cars?

A) When cold
B) When warm

Thanks.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I have a car in the shop right now that does exactly that. When I start the car cold it shows good oil pressure and then fluctuates as it warms up and once it gets to operating temperature it will drop to zero unless you bring the rpm's up a little. I hope to find a bad sender. I'll let you know what I find.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Why did I have to read this post.......mine just started with the same symptoms!

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Mine also started acting up today as well. When I am running down the highway the pressure is 50 psi, then it drops to 37psi and then up tp 50, has anyone had this issue?

John