Oil exploration and production in LA

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I have read some good threads on the GT forum regarding oil and gas exploration and production. Here is a spot I never would have considered. I grew up with wells in all of my school grounds and literally hundreds within a 50 mile radius but to see this in these locations is interesting. We continue to develop here and as our population grows here in Alberta I suspect this will become a reality for more of us as well.

http://www.tv.com/web/uneven-terrain/oil-of-l-a--1521965/

Steve

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You should see the 'working' hoppers in my town....in the lots next to family homes.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I saw several of these during an unrelated 'tour' we took a few yrs back....the high school rig being one of them. But, this is the 1st time I've heard about the operation at Farmers Market. Wifey and I have been there before, and there's not even a visual hint anything like that is going on.

'Works for me.

H

HHGT

Check out Whittier Hills project. Major power plays at stake and all within a multi-million $ estate

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Check out Whittier Hills project. Major power plays at stake and all within a multi-million $ estate

Sam maybe your house is on top of an oil well.

H

HHGT

Sam maybe your house is on top of an oil well.

Most Deeds restrict any mineral rights or natural water table access. The typical home owner owns the first 50'

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Most Deeds restrict any mineral rights or natural water table access. The typical home owner owns the first 50'

Who owns the mineral rights below 50', the state?

I will have to read my deed. I doubt anything is on my land others than some dead bodies. :lol

H

HHGT

Who owns the mineral rights below 50', the state?

I will have to read my deed. I doubt anything is on my land others than some dead bodies. :lol

Mostly Oil companies. In SoCal it mostly belongs to Standard Oil aka Chevron.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Mostly Oil companies. In SoCal it mostly belongs to Standard Oil aka Chevron.

How did that come to be? Did the oil companies own all of the land before it was developed and then sold off lots to developers while retaining the mineral rights?

H

HHGT

How did that come to be? Did the oil companies own all of the land before it was developed and then sold off lots to developers while retaining the mineral rights?

That is exactly what I was told. Where we are at the land mineral rights were split between Oil Companies and Farm Land owners. One wanted the oil, the other wanted the water. Which one was/is more valuable? I guess it depends on your business.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
In Canada the Crown aka government owns below 12 inches I believe,unless your family has owned the land prior to 1905 or something. Superfly may know the exact particulars.

In my time I have only encountered one person that held the mineral rights. From what I could see neither them nor future generations had much to worry about financially.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I own mineral rights and hydrocarbon rights in Pennsylvania. Just completed my first Natural Gas/oil Well to 6600 Feet.. Perforating and fracturing completed. Working now on the pipelines. I plan to call it the "BenedictXL Pipeline" .

andy (ajb)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In Colorado water and mineral rights are separate from the land.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Many states provide for severed surface and mineral estates. Oil and gas leases can get extremely complex. Ring me up if you have questions.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Since oil underground can spans many different lots owned by different people, assuming every owner had mineral rights, how does one know if someone is tapping into oil below their property either drawing from the same reservoir, or through a lateral well line? How is it decided who owns what?

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Known as the law of capture - first come first serve. It has been the foundation of many a lawsuit.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Laterals are a different ball game. Routine if on a single O&G lease but complicated when crossing lease lines separating different leases.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
As to ownership, it is determined by a deed filed in county records and can be traced back to sovereignty. Multiple leases are often combined - known as pooling. Ownership/allocation is based on acreage amounts contained in a Proration Unit set by a regulatory agency.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Known as the law of capture - first come first serve. It has been the foundation of many a lawsuit.

So if you snooze, you lose!

H

HHGT

Little known fact that Saddam Hussein started cross drilling into Kuwaiti Oil Fields to pump & sell oil to finance his continuing war with Iran. When Kuwait called him on it, he invaded.