oh dear gt suddenly become incontinent

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
whilst taking the gt for a drive suddenly became aware of a horrible din coming from the engine which was related to engine revs.
wasnt far from home so limped the gt back to home with no drama.
on inspection i coulds see red fluid all over the floor pans and immeadatley checked power steering reservoir which was now very low.
so i topped the fluid and let the pump bleed it self and releived to say noise has totally gone:thumbsup
i now removed the pans and could clearly see the bottom ps hose pipe was leaking where the pipe union screws into ps pump ,checked the union which wasnt very tight but even now ive tighten it as far as i dare go it still leaks although not as bad.
what beats me is suddenly after all these years does the pipe union start to leak
and as anyone had same problem at all ?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Happened to me at the VIR rally. Not a drop for 10K miles then all of a sudden it was so loose as if it had never been tightened. GT guys saved the day.

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
yes mines just coming upto 10k too!
did you have to replace pipe?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Nope. Tightened the fitting, added fluid and bled, no problems since. It just worked loose. That was about 7K miles ago.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've noticed some fluid around the front steering column... corrosive stuff.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I've noticed some fluid around the front steering column... corrosive stuff.

The only thing I can think of that is corrosive is brake or clutch fluid.

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
ive removed the hose and its not a compression fitting so i dont recommend re tightening unless its loose!
there actually a rubber o ring there with one at each end of the hose.
now mine looks to be ok no splits etc so i may try a slightly bigger size o ring before replacing hose .
incidently the pipe numbers are 4G7V-3A719AF 21GT-10003D,the o rings look different sizes one red and one black.
does anyone knows how much they are please?

Madferraristi

Mar 19, 2008
Norcal
The Red one is most likely Silicone Rubber, the Black one probably just standard Nitrile (Buna N). Which o-ring was at the leaking end of the hose.

I strongly suspect that the o-rings only come as part of the assembly from Ford so you will have to find your replacement from another source however, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Mike

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
the black was leaking and on closer inspection the red one is slightly bigger which was bone dry!

Madferraristi

Mar 19, 2008
Norcal
Unless someone else chimes in with more specific info, what you may have to do is to measure the OD of the tube that the o-rings fit on and then the ID of the port into which they fit.

Then if you go to this O-ring Handbook, I am sure you will find the sizing info that you need.

Look in the Metric section for the size number, then select a material from the various listings.

I would go with either the "standard" which is Nitrile (Buna N) or Viton which will stand up to almost any hydrocarbon based fluid. Power Steering Fluid used to be regular Automatic Transmission Fluid but today, they have engineered a special (read more expensive) fluid.

Mike

Last edited:

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Here are a few photo's of my hose that failed a few years back. Denis located the failed "pin holes", and I know of others that have had the identical failure.

http://1fordgt.com/20002009/BACKUP/2009/EVENTS/CARLISLE/PSHose04.jpg

http://1fordgt.com/20002009/BACKUP/2009/EVENTS/CARLISLE/PSHose03.jpg

http://1fordgt.com/20002009/BACKUP/2009/EVENTS/CARLISLE/PSHose02.jpg

http://1fordgt.com/20002009/BACKUP/2009/EVENTS/CARLISLE/PSHose01.jpg

Good luck.

Pete S.

Madferraristi

Mar 19, 2008
Norcal
If that is the case with yours and a replacement one from For is either unobtainable or stupid expensive, try a Hydraulic Equipment repair shop. There is always a possibility that it is a "standard fitting" of some sort, though knowing Ford and some of the other fluid line fittings I have run into that are ever so slightly different from their similar "Standard" fittings, i wouldn't hold much hope.

Mike

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree with Madferraristi.

Any competent hydraulic shop should be able to build you an exact duplicate in short order. That kind of stuff is their bread and butter. I am sure they can source the weird fittings too if they are not standard.

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england

hi pete thanks for those photos made me have a second look a bit more closly at the pipe !
and looks like ive got a very faint crack right where yours has gone too.
how much did your pipe cost as if its not expensive will keep gt original?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nice information. 2 failures so far on this forum. I would say something to watch for for all owners.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Not expensive at all. I carry a spare in the trailer as well. This is an easy fix, with Ford spare parts.

Good Luck,
Pete S.

hi pete thanks for those photos made me have a second look a bit more closly at the pipe !
and looks like ive got a very faint crack right where yours has gone too.
how much did your pipe cost as if its not expensive will keep gt original?

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
just ordered with torrie who responded instantly to my message ,hows that for great service !
i need some luck as in 1 week ive managed to run over 1 sheep and a 1 rabbit ! R.i.p

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Steve, I have got you handled now !!