STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats and Welcome !!! :cheers

Thanks to all

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes! When I get back home next week I'll post details and some photos etc.

Until then, keep the rubber on the road (variant of keep the rubber side down ... :lol).

Vincent

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Congrat's. You'll love it.

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
Be careful ,good luck ,stay safe ,enjoy , you have alot of car thier.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome to the Forum & a great group of enthusiasts! Those Goodyears work well in the rain which is important in OR!

Ed UofO 1980

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Enjoy your ride and be careful.
Drove mine twice this week already.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Congratulations Vincent (drove mine to the office today)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Enjoy!

Definitely read the owners FAQs & advice...even samll stuff like how to close clamshell, hood,etc.

Recommend heading to large parking lot to practice and even try parking & backing out, avoiding front lip and rear diffuser scrapes....easier than when u have 6 neighbors / kids around or 25 spectators at parking lot.

Then take 2-3 drives on routes you know and lead up to highway drives.

Sounds hokey, put you would do same with new plane, and this is a jet!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Congrats and enjoy driving it.....

Drove mine today to work and to meet a sub contractor this PM... Nice long run!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats!

Thanks! It's a wonderful car and I love driving it - like having a turbine in the back. It's really almost the exact opposite of the Daytona, which is mechanically simple, very noisy and physically demanding to drive - it takes work. The GT just sails along easily.

Several members asked for photos, and I have posted some of my bikes and my Daytona coupe in my album. Because my GT looks just like every other red GT, I haven't posted any pix of it.

Cheers
Vincent

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks! It's a wonderful car and I love driving it - like having a turbine in the back. It's really almost the exact opposite of the Daytona, which is mechanically simple, very noisy and physically demanding to drive - it takes work. The GT just sails along easily.

Several members asked for photos, and I have posted some of my bikes and my Daytona coupe in my album. Because my GT looks just like every other red GT, I haven't posted any pix of it.

Cheers
Vincent

How about some of your Daytona Coupe [which flavor?] along side the GT? GT in the background since we know what they look like. I want more info on the Coupe. It was a tossup between a new SPF/Shelby coupe or the GT, the GT won because, according to the boss, the coupe was just "a Cobra with a top". It had A/C and regular seat belts and a heckuva lot more luggage space. I'm glad I got the GT though.

How about some of your Daytona Coupe [which flavor?] along side the GT? GT in the background since we know what they look like. I want more info on the Coupe. It was a tossup between a new SPF/Shelby coupe or the GT, the GT won because, according to the boss, the coupe was just "a Cobra with a top". It had A/C and regular seat belts and a heckuva lot more luggage space. I'm glad I got the GT though.

Well, the boss was wrong. The coupe is entirely different from the Cobra. In short, in the late 90s, Jimmy Price, owner of Hi-Tech Auto in South Africa (who builds the SPF cobras, coupes, and at least many of the CSX cars, too), wanted to build a Daytona. Eventually, Pete Brock and Bob Negstad agreed to redesign the original for street use. The "new" Daytonas have a 93 inch wheelbase (vs 90), are four inches wider, have an entirely different frame and suspension, and come with PS, PB, a/c, better ventilation arrangements and lots of other stuff. So they are really new cars. However, they are still pretty small inside (seats fit down between the frame rails and are close to the doors to clear the transmission tunnel) and the windshield is so close to the steering wheel that I can stretch my fingers out and touch the windshield from the top of the wheel). As far as I know, SPF sold 154 Daytonas and then Shelby American took over the sales, made a fair number of changes (some useful and good, but many just cosmetic) and is now selling what is basically a Mk II coupe. Of course the CSX number means they cost at least $20K more now. All of them (Mk I and II) were/are made to use a Ford Windsor block motor, but several have Chevy LS motors (including Pete Brock's car).

I hope that helps. If you want more info, PM me and I can tell you lots more, with photos.

Thanks for the interest
Vincent

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, the boss was wrong. The coupe is entirely different from the Cobra.

While there have always been diffs between the Daytona and the Cobra, IMO the easiest way to explain to someone who's looking at any Daytona Coupe for the 1st time, 'has no idea what it is, and asks 'whazzup' with 'em is to say it's basically a fastback Cobra - if they know what a Cobra is...and darn near everybody does. That avoids a lengthy history lesson (which will cause the listener's eyes to gloss over in many cases) while still giving a reasonably accurate description of the car even w/o the minutia. Maybe that's what "the boss" was thinking too!

(I've done exactly that on 3 different occasions my own darn self. Richard B. was present one of those three times! :lol)

The boss was certainly correct with regard to the six original coupes, which used the 90 inch WB AC Cobra ladder frame but with entirely different bodies. However, I think that saying the modern SPF Daytonas are basically Cobras with roofs is misleading, because everything (and I mean everything) is different in them, despite being called "Cobra Daytonas". In fact, many people call them Brock coupes (after Pete Brock, the primary designer) because it's understood that Shelby had absolutely nothing to do with the redesigned SPFs (other than making money from licensing fees).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh, I totally understand your point, but, I doubt the 'average guy in the street' who's asking about the car cares about any of the minutia. 'Makes no diff to him. That's all I was getting at. :wink :cheers

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I looked pretty close at the coupe at the Hillbank booth at BJ in Vegas in 2010. The car they had there was Lance's older model and he explained the differences - basically widened and straightening the foot box so you don't sit at the offset, and some other things like electric windows (although the original racing windows were still available) and door locks etc.

I was offered first dibs on an "in progress" aluminum coupe that would have been finished, was ready to go out and have the wife look at it and she vetoed. "Perception is reality".

Someday maybe.. It would be a fun car FOR ME :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
but several have Chevy LS motors (including Pete Brock's car).
Vincent

:bang

What the hell is wrong with these tards? Sheesh, how much more can you ruin a car to prove you have no taste or are too cheap to do it right?